• Editors' Page: 2014 Pickup Trucks

1997 Mazda B-Series Cab Plus

Based on 123 Ratings for the 1994 - 1997 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

best ever

By on Saturday, April 05, 2014

"I've had this truck for 11 years 300000 still running great"

A decent truck if you buy it at the right price.

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "MPG (after complete tune up). Reliablilty."

Cons: "Poor in winter weather. Comfort for tall people."

"I bought this truck off a friend for $700. I was originally going to get it into good running condition and sell it for a different vehicle. But once I started driving it I realized I liked it. It needed a front bumper and a tune up. Most of these old Mazda B series trucks and Rangers are in desperate need of a tune up and complete fluid change. Fuel filter Air filter (Not a high flow filter) Oil & oil filter Seafoam (through brake booster vacuum hose) Cap & rotor (for 1994 like mine) Thermostat & gasket Coolant system flush Transmission fluid (5 speed takes Mercon 3) Transmission shifter rebuild kit Rear differential fluid change (I used Mobil 1 synthetic 75w90) Its slightly underpowered for my location in the Ozark hills. It has a slightly hard time pulling large hills in high gears but its not a major problem. Its just noticeable. With the power problem some might benefit from fixing a stretched throttle cable which is very common. A Google search will show some ways of fixing it with a zip tie. The 3.0L version that I have after a complete tune up is very satisfying. I constantly get 20-23mpg. Once you factor in the MPG the small lack of power is very understandable. At first I did a complete tune up and I was wondering why I was still getting poor mileage (14-16). The only thing left to look into was the MAF (mass air flow sensor). I cleaned it with alcohol as instructed and reassembled it. Immediately I noticed a huge increase of MPG and it started running even better. It was not even that dirty which was surprising. The reason for not running a high flow air filter is because it will make the MAF dirty quicker. The transmission must be serviced with a shifter bushing kit. That's very important as if its not (or you don't inspect it to make sure everything's ok) all the broken pieces can fall down into the transmission. Mine was already like that and when I went to drain the fluid the pieces came out. I don't think it damaged the transmission as it still shifts good but I'm lucky. If you have a floppy shifter these bushings are the culprit. Also on the transmission while you have the shifter out and replacing the bushing kit (or inspecting it) there are three rubber plugs on the back of the transmission on the top that can be seen through the hole in the floor for the shifter. You will need to get the metal plugs that replace these as these three plugs leaking are the main killers of these transmissions. If one is in need of more power (like I'm after) then look into getting some Mornana 1.8:1 roller rockers. They are $450 but will make the truck perform much much better and the power will feel adequate. The truck handles very well. I have new wheel bearings, calipers, brake pads and rotors. And that helped quite a bit but the truck handles fairly good with some use on the front end components. The 3.0L (B3000) is the best engine in my opinion because of the MPG and power. 2.3L has the MPG but is gutless and the 4.0L has the power but not the MPG. The open differential in these trucks is the biggest downfall. It doesn't take much snow or even wet grass to stop the 2wd models. I have hauled over what is recommended with this truck but only after FULLY servicing it. After everything was done. It has plenty of power in the lower 3 gears to haul 900-1200lbs in the bed. It will squat some but with some care it can be worked. Its a very reliable truck as that's the number one thing I like about it. Its also easy and cheap to work on. Parts are easy to find and quick to change out."

Great little truck

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Cheap, good gas mileage, very reliable"

Cons: "lacks power"

"This truck is very reliable. I have never been stuck in the truck, 4x4 always works great. The parts for this truck are pretty cheap. They only thing I have against these trucks is a lack of power. Exceptionally if you are towing even a little trailer. But other than that I really like these trucks. Never failed me once. pretty good on gas around 20 mpg"

Never had a better vehicle for the money

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

"This truck is amazing. I have it for 17 year only with letter issues easy to fix. Right now the only thing that I fixed from it was the Air Flow Mass Senson and I installed myself. For 17 year of service, what else are you expecting for."

i love this truck

By on Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pros: "looks awesome. great for towing and snow."

Cons: "very bouncy ride. needs 89 octane gas"

"Ive owned this truck about 5 years now. it had 168000 miles on it at purchase. I replaced blown automatic hubs with manual hubs. The air condition does not work. I dont mind that. the seats are great. I get decent gas mileage. I do have to run 89 octane or better or engine will knock and ping when pushed."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mazda B-Series Cab Plus near Honolulu. See local deals