1998 Mazda 626

7.4

Based on 354 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Best car for the price

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"i own this car for a little over 4 years and i can safely say that this is the best, worry free car one can buy for the money. i bough it used with about 8500 miles on it and now i have about 89000 miles on it and, other than brake work, i didnt spend any money on any out-of-schedule maintainance. I only have two problems with this car, one it is really under powered. 2 litre engine with 125 hp for a car that wieghs about 4000 lbs? naw, not good. also there is a little drumming noise coming from the rear struts but according to mazda and my mechanic, thats nothing to worry about. something common in most of 626. But over all i will recommend this car to anyone. great everyday commute vehicle."

Reliable

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pros: "Good value for the price we paid"

Cons: "average amenities, average comfort"

"We've owned our 2000 Mazda 9626 for 10 years. We bought it used with 15k miles on it. It has mostly minor repairs done to it, except when a repair shop didn't replace the oil plug after an oil change and fried the engine, so it has a newer engine in it (they replaced at their cost). Once it hit about 100k miles, we noticed a rough vibration when it's at a stop and the air conditioner is going, but we put it in neutral and the vibration stops so we're assuming it's a motor mount problem these cars are known for, but we're told it's a inexpensive fix as long as it's addressed sooner than later. Overall, it's been a reliable vehicle, comfortable enough to drive in. We plan on selling it to our niece as we move on to another newer car so she can have a reliable vehicle as her 2nd stepping stone car. Highly recommend this car unless you need a lot of sitting room in the back and storage, although trunk is good sized."

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"I have owned this car for 7 years since it had 14K miles (repo) and now it has 105K miles. This has been a very dependable car for me. There are a few things that I have had issues with, but they really aren't a big deal. For example the vents stop swinging every now and then and you can't move them manually. ALso, the moonroof broke several years ago and I barely used it before that. As far as mechanical issues, the transmission does jerk every now and then and about once a year it decides that it won't go in reverse. All you have to do is turn off the car and turn it back on and it works fine. Other than that, just a few minor repairs. I would definitely own another Mazda."

I would buy the 626 LX V6 5 speed manual again!!!

By on Friday, October 12, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, nice Bose system for a 1998 car"

"I purchased my 1998 626 back in March of 2002 (with 32,000 miles on it). Up until 2008; my 626 was my only source of transportation (and it never let me down... even up to today). No it's not a Honda or a Toyota but it's a well built Mazda. I've had to replace two timing belts and water pumps since 2002. I've never changed the clutch (LOL... it still goes into 1st gear with ease too). With over 188,000 miles of regular driving and maintenance; I can see that it may be time to part with it (in the near future). Overall my 1998 Mazda 626 LX V6 manual has been a reliable vehicle (a worthy investment back in 2002 @ $9,000.00 more than what its worth now)."

Best Vehicle I have ever purchased

By on Saturday, October 22, 2011

"I love my 626. I have no issues at all with it. I went from a durango getting 12 miles to a gallon to the 626 and I am averaging appx 30mpg and I own the V6 version. This car also has more comfort and convience features that my old Cadillac Catera."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mazda 626 near Honolulu. See local deals