2014 Lexus RX Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $37,593 - $39,153.

10/7.1

Based on 158 Ratings for the 2009 - 2012 models.

By on Monday, March 21, 2011

Horrible

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Reason: hated it

Pros: "Warranty"

Cons: "Uncomfortable, overrated,"

"My wife and I have owned five Lexus' including one other RX, and have thoroughly enjoyed every one of them except for this car. Shortly after purchasing it we made the 1500 mile trip from Florida to Maine. By the time we got there we were aching, sore, and couldn't wait to get out of the thing. The sound system was terribly confusing to navigate. Add to that they have reduced the luxury appointments (wood trim) in this model. We arrived in Maine on a Saturday. The following Monday morning I went to a local Infinity dealership and purchased a JX. I took a substantial depreciation hit but it was worth it. I couldn't fathom spending four years in that car. I've had the Infinity for almost a year and love it. When my wife trades her Lexus LS sedan we will seriously consider the Infinity M series. Lexus is trying to be too many things to too many people thus turning off their long time loyal buyers."

releasing break pedal makes unoying sound ..

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "none"

Cons: "break pedal ,lousy navigation"

"when i release break pedal it make very unoying sound .dealer said is normal i think is manufacture defect ride is ok why spend prime dollar just to drive lexus name tag ford and chevrolet makes same for lower price."

I don't like this vehicle very uncomfortable

By on Monday, October 13, 2014

"Worst crossover I ever owned, I took a 24 month lease and I regret it. very uncomfortable, backup camera is very confusing lacks back up lines, the button for garage door opener works half the times, the car shacks on stop lights and when starting the vehicle the car wine for a second. I am starting to have back issues because of the uncomfortable seats."

Great vehicle, pleasant to drive, technology lags

By on Monday, June 29, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, driveability, roomy"

Cons: "Technology lags others, somewhat pricey"

"This is my second hybrid vehicle, the first being a 2008 Rx400h FWD. Lexus gets a lot of things right in their vehicles but they are pretty conservative when it comes to adopting new technology, which is my biggest complaint. My next vehicle will definitely have some options that weren't available in June 2013 unless I wanted to wait another 3-4 months: adaptive cruise, blind spot, lane change, cross traffic alert, pre-collision alert (a lot of the safety features available on other makes). MSRP on my Rx450h was $61K - a bit on the pricey side. Bottom line: I will probably buy another Rx450h in a year or 2. I'd really like to try a Tesla Model S P85 but the price tag is just too high. The AWD hybrid experience: The Rx450h is a pleasure to drive. It has good acceleration with electric motor assist up to about 20 mph. The electric motors kick in during normal driving which do help MPG. If you drive it like you would any other vehicle the MPG won't be great. The AWD version has a sticker average of 29 for combined city/highway driving but you need to baby it a bit to get that. Ignoring any change in driving habit still yields 27-28 in my experience, which is 2X what my 2007 Chevy Suburban was getting. (That was my primary justification for the hybrid.) Another nice feature is how quiet this thing is when at a stop light. Assuming the hybrid battery is not low on charge the engine will shut down and run on just the battery, making the vehicle very quiet. All you will hear is the AC fan and the radio. It takes a little getting used to for someone who is "aware" of your car's noises when you feel the engine shut down. Most all vehicle systems are electric. One important implication of this is that when the engine shuts off the AC continues cooling like it would on the highway with a non-hybrid vehicle. You can turn on EV (Electric Vehicle) mode and move pretty quietly as long as you stay under 25 mph and don't accelerate quickly. Around 2013 Lexus added a ghostly whining sound whenever the vehicle is moving so people can hear you coming...so much for stealth mode! Infotainment systems: I am a tech guy and would rate this area only average. The Nav system uses a DVD for map data and was out-of-date the day I bought it. Lexus needs to update this area specifically to use more available technology like Google Map data. In the area where we live there are many areas that have built up over the past 3-5 years that show as blank spaces on the Nav map where whole neighborhoods and new schools now exist. Upgrading the map DVD costs about $200 which I also think is ridiculous given that you can pull out your smart phone and have a map app show you exactly where you are and where you need to go. I also detest the waypoint instructions in the system. Every time you near a major exit on a freeway it pops up instructions to go straight. I'm not stupid and have turned off all voice communication when I'm using the Nav guidance because it's just annoying to hear "in 1 mile continue going straight." There needs to be an option to turn off those waypoints and just tell me turns and exits. My biggest beef with the Lexus system is that it literally disables every useful thing you can do when the vehicle is in motion. About the only thing it lets you do is change the radio station. OK, I'm exaggerating, but only slightly. You can't scroll thru previous destinations or your address book, you can't change the destination or even go to an eDestination folder (like an online address book you setup) that is on the next screen. Consequently I have to use the Lexus Destination Assist and have one of their humans download the address I need, even tho I have it already in one of my folders. And, of course, Dest Assist has an annual subscription fee. I will say that I have become spoiled and use it quite a bit to find restaurants and other locations but I could just as easily live with the BlueLink system in my wife's 2015 Hyundai Sonata where you just say a destination name, it looks it up somehow and presents the address on the Nav screen. An annoying tech limitation is the number of phone contacts it will download when you connect via BT. The limit is 1,000 which sounds like a lot unless you have 2500 contacts in your phone. The 1,000 contact limit also restricts you to 3 phone numbers per contact. If you have 4 phone numbers it requires 2 contact slots. When I first discovered this limitation I talked to the tech guru at the dealership who thought they should be able to raise the limit because they weren't using even a third of the hard drive space in the system. He raised the issue with engineering 3 years ago and nothing has happened since. The result is that I can only voice dial about a third of my contacts. Other features: One option I really like is the Heads-Up Display. While pricey, it does present animated Nav info on the windshield so you don't have to glance down at the main display. It also shows speed and drive gear (not sure how useful that is) as well as radio info whenever you change stations. I would like to see a lot more info in the HUD or the ability to select what I want to see. I would love to have the power meter up there because when you're trying to keep the vehicle running on battery that's the only indicator of when you're about to engage the engine. Driving experience: My only complaint about drivability is road noise. Wind noise is pretty acceptable but road noise definitely detracts from the highway driving experience. Obviously blacktop roads are quieter than concrete. The vehicle needs a lot of additional soundproofing for the highway. The speed-controlled-volume setting does not do much in the ON position to overcome road noise. In fact, I can't really tell much difference at all and have to manually adjust radio volume to overcome the road noise."