• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2014 Lexus RX Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $36,497 - $37,754.

10/7.1

Based on 137 Ratings for the 2009 - 2012 models.

Very comfortable on long drives

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Greate value, low maintenance costs"

Cons: "No sunglasses holder above head"

"With roof rack and trailer hitch, I can take a lot of cargo on family trips. Not bad gas mileage considering size. Had since new, have only changed oil and filters. Replaced first set of tires after 70k, rotated regularly. Good looking vehicle, great lines. Great in snow with AWD. Highly recommend this safe and quiet ride."

Wife loves this car

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Very practical"

Cons: "Sort of boring"

"She thought she wanted a new Cayenne. It drove well but not enough difference to justify the cost."

The only thing I would change is to get better gas

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

"The only thing I would change is to get better gas mileage. I average 20 on the road and about 17/18 in city. I have a heavy foot but the best gas mileage on the road was about 23.3 mpg. Long trips it gets about 21.5 mpg."

Lexus RX 350

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great mileage on long trips."

"This is by far the best high performing car I have ever owned. Cannot beat it for comfort, reliability and driving."

great car although ride is a little harsh

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

"lexus makes the best overall line of cars. this is my second lexus"

A Big Disappointment!

By on Friday, February 07, 2014

Pros: "Quiet interior, Good sounding 12 speaker stereo,"

Cons: "Poor quality interior design & materials,"

"I bought this 2014 based upon the excellent reliability ratings for the Lexus RX350 and my good experience with my 2008 RX350. The main reason this review scores so low is that I am comparing it to the 2008 that I traded in on this 2014 model. My 2008 had a MSRP of $42,450, the 2014 MSRP was $47,030. I liked the 2008 a whole lot better than this 2014 mainly because Lexus designers have cheapened the interior materials and design on the 2014 most likely to lighten the vehicle so as to achieve slightly better gas mileage. The 2008 was all wheel drive, the 2014 is only front wheel drive, yet the gas mileage is almost identical at 21.5 mpg combined. The best features of the 2014 are 1) Quieter interior noise level. 2) Better sounding 12 speaker sound system. 3) Better cornering capability. 4) Blind Spot Monitoring System. The disappointments are numerous, including 1) Poor back-up camera. 2) Lack of an air conditioning button on the dashboard. You never know if the a/c compressor is on or off unless you toggle through multiple window screens to see if it is operating. 3) Poor interior storage space. The center console is so dark and deep that it is difficult to find anything in it. The door storage bins have all been reduced in size from the 2008 model. 4) Space Saver spare tire takes up almost all of the interior storage space under the rear cargo load floor. You can not even fit a trailer hitch in the remaining small storage space under the cargo mat.(The 2008 had a full size spare located outside under the back of the vehicle). 5) The carpeting and mats are embarrassingly thin. They belong in an economy car, not a luxury vehicle. 6) The leather feels thin on the seats. 7) Stiffer ride compared to the 2008. I could go on, but you get the idea. I expect a newer vehicle to improve from previous designs, not go backwards. I regret buying this vehicle. It will be my last Lexus."

Great value luxury SUV

By on Friday, February 07, 2014

"Very comfortable, elegant, roomy well-designed interior for this 6'2" driver. Can readily handle 4-5 adults. Car still looks great inside and out after 72k miles and 4 1/2 years. Handles well. Hybrid gas mileage on this pretty heavy vehicle is pretty respectable (about 25 mpg combined for me which includes a fair amount of driving up and down a mountain). I've owned Lexus vehicles for 20 years and this is the first one that I had any mechanical problem, namely the fuel injection pump failed at 47k miles. Luckily, the vehicle was under warranty (barely) and the Lexus towing/car rental/repair experience was all excellent (happened on Friday evening and there was a 24-hour Lexus service location that we were able to go to). I was of course disappointed that this happened in the first place. This was around the time that Toyota was getting some bad publicity for more quality problems than usual due to growth/outsourcing of parts and it did make me wonder if they were compromising quality: time will tell. My only other complaint is the NAV system, which you're forced to buy if you want the back-up camera, is overpriced (NAV dvd updates are also a rip-off) and not well-designed. All in all I'd highly recommend the vehicle to anyone looking for an SUV in this price range."

very Good automobile

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

"Extremely Satisfied"

Amazing Ride

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing"

"I own the RX350 for a year. I love the car. very smooth ride. high quality material. I enjoy the ride as well as my family. I have been shopping around, I have test drove the Highlandar, Murano and other Suvs. the RX350 by far better ride and quality."

Like very much, would like better city mpg.

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Just a great car!"

"Will buy another RX in future."

An automotive repair specialist who knows quality

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"I have been in auto repair for over 30 years, and own one of the best shops in the northwest, specializing in transmission repair, I know cars. We are on our 3rd Lexus, and like the preceding 2 cars, our RX350 has never been a problem. We love Lexus, cars, suvs, whatever Toyota puts the Lexus badge on will deliver a quality experience for the lifetime of ownership. While buying a new Lexus can stretch a budget, the lack of repairs will more than make up the difference."

Drives like a Dream

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "nice care demands attention"

Cons: "Drinks gas"

"This was the best truck I have ever owned. my only complaint would be the gas consumption you will get 18-20 mpg. if you do a lot of running around this may not be the car for you. the rx 450 may be a better choice. my Rx was the base model I have since totaled out this SUV and upgraded to a fully loaded ES300h 2014. if you get the rx make sure you have Nav"

Not what I expected

By on Monday, December 09, 2013

"This SUV rides like a truck It is not what I expected from Lexus. I feel every bump in the road. My test ride was down nice smooth roads, I never knew it could be that bad in real roads we travel everyday. If it was not for the ride, it would be a great SUV."

I Really Dislike This Car

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable seats, takes regular gasoline"

Cons: "See above"

"I owned a 2008 Lexus RX 350 which I absolutely loved. It was fun and easy to drive responding quickly and holding the road even at high speeds. It turned on a dime and was more sporty than I would have imagined. The car never had a mechanical problem. The inside appointments were top notch. Unfortunately, my beloved car was totaled in a storm. I did not think twice about purchasing another RX 350. I have to say the 2013 that I purchased is entirely different. It has a super stiff suspension and is like driving a truck. It is no longer "light on its feet" and I feel like I have to fight it to get it where I want it to go. The turning radius is huge making it difficult to turn around easily. The car lumbers around corners. Additionally, the interior appointments are much cheaper than in my 2008. I no longer enjoy driving and can't wait until I can get rid of it. In contrast, I drove a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a year while consulting out of state. Loved the car, which I would have thought would have handled like a truck but didn't. Sorry I didn't buy a Jeep instead."

Truly! Best vehicle ever owned!

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "Handles like a luxury sports car yet functional."

Cons: "I got nothin...."

"I've owned Jeep,BMW,4Runner,Pontiac Solstice and even a Hummer! I've test driven Audi,Camaro and Mercedes. But when I went to DCH Lexus in Oxnard - not only were we treated so well but the first time I sat in the Lexus...well, it just felt right. The car handles beautifully, suits all my needs, looks and feels so nice! DCH Lexus in Oxnard also made it the easiest (pain free if that's possible) car purchase ever. I love my Lexus!"

1st RX , great decision.

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "Sound system, vision, mileage, comfort, power."

Cons: "ABSOLUTELY NONE!!!!"

"This is my first Lexus and I am very happy with the RX 350. This summer I drove it from Phoenix to Fargo and back. The ride was quiet, comfortable and acceleration was as much as needed. Driver seat 10 way control gives all drivers a comfortable fit , vision around the car is clear. The radio, bluetooth etc. control are very easy to understand and use. This RX 350 is a winner and if I could, I would buy another for myself. There was nothing in my 31 day trip that I was unhappy with. When I read other reviews that bash this car I wonder what are they smokin'!! This is a great car and I cannot get it away from my wife. P.S. mileage was at least 23.4 up to 26.5 at 80mph.."

GAS MILEAGE SEVERELY OVERRATED

By on Friday, September 13, 2013

Pros: "Good quality"

Cons: "VERY POOR MILEAGE, center console inconvenient"

"My wife and I leased this new 2103 450h in February as a replacement for our 2003 RX-330. This new RX is no where near the vehicle my old one was. Center console is part of armrest and constantly interferes with the person driving when passenger is in and out of compartment. Mileage... We were told by dealership to use REGULAR GAS... but everything I read says PREMIUM, so I am confused. The mileage on it's best day is maybe 24. VERY DISAPPOINTING. Have had it back to dealership to explore this problem, and was told it was "within tolerance" of mileage expectations. Sound system and other apps are not user-intuitive."

Horrible

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Reason: hated it

Pros: "Warranty"

Cons: "Uncomfortable, overrated,"

"My wife and I have owned five Lexus' including one other RX, and have thoroughly enjoyed every one of them except for this car. Shortly after purchasing it we made the 1500 mile trip from Florida to Maine. By the time we got there we were aching, sore, and couldn't wait to get out of the thing. The sound system was terribly confusing to navigate. Add to that they have reduced the luxury appointments (wood trim) in this model. We arrived in Maine on a Saturday. The following Monday morning I went to a local Infinity dealership and purchased a JX. I took a substantial depreciation hit but it was worth it. I couldn't fathom spending four years in that car. I've had the Infinity for almost a year and love it. When my wife trades her Lexus LS sedan we will seriously consider the Infinity M series. Lexus is trying to be too many things to too many people thus turning off their long time loyal buyers."

love it comfy fun design entior

By on Sunday, August 18, 2013

Reason: lease for 3 months

"the ride was soft road noise was quiet."

From 2001 RX 300 to 2013 RX 350 (Maybe!)

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "reliable, smooth ride, great size"

Cons: "rear door manual, not automatic"

"I have 170,000 miles on my 2001 RX 300 and have had NO major problems. I bought the car on the Internet from another state, and the salesman delivered it to me personally. In 12 years, I have replaced a rear window motor. Lexus of Greenville has performed all of the car's maintenance, and the service members have given my car incredible attention over the years. I'm looking now, and I do not believe that I can find a car that will serve me better than a Lexus--great investment for past 12 years. Expensive, yes, but over the years, the lack of repairs and the reliability and luxury have more than compensated for the higher cost. My issue is whether to buy new or pre-certified, and reviews are helping."

Love this car!

By on Thursday, August 01, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable ride, cooling seats"

Cons: "no sunglass holder, avg gas mileage"

"Got a used 2011 RX350 and absolutely love it! The only thing negative is the gas mileage, but the comfort supersedes that! The car takes the bumps extremely well. For the price of a new RAV4 you too can drive a Lexus!"

Blast to drive

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "great car"

Cons: "a few mpg less than ad"

"Nice quality built car Will buy a newer model in a few years Lots of fun to drive"

Love the 2013 RX

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, fun to drive, technology in cabin"

Cons: "Cargo space compared to sequoia we traded in"

"Wow this car is awesome! It is stunning inside and out and drives like a dream. I love the saddle brown color leather interior with stargazer black exterior...sweet!"

F-Sport is a teeth-rattler

By on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Pros: "great quality and design - lots of power -"

Cons: "gas mileage WAY overstated, ride is just awful"

"I am loyal to the Lexus brand but the ride in the F-Sport RX will rattle your teeth. Can't wait til the lease is up - in fact may try to get out of it early - i've only had the car for three months. not sure why we didn't pick up on the super firm ride except we spent more time on the highway and didn't hit roads with lots of bumps/potholes on the test drive. if you live in an area with lots of uneven pavement/potholes, think twice and get the regular RX, NOT the F-Sport. My 911S is less jarring than this."

Nice SUV HANDLES fine, service is good.

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable to drive, looks great"

Cons: "Low gas milage, lots of rattles."

"Overall the car and dealer are good. Gas Milage is lower than advertised. Comfortable on long rides. Many rattles from trunk area. Also had a terrible rattle coming from dash board. After several attempts from dealer it went unresolved. I finally found that the glove compartment door was loose. I had to gerryrig the door with padding to stop the rattle. Not what one expects from a luxury car."