• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2009 Lexus RX

Based on 524 Ratings for the 2004 - 2008 models.

the tame sports car with guts

By on Thursday, February 19, 2009

"I'm on my second RX and about to get the third. this car got me thru the mountains of PA in white out conditions twice. The true mettle of a car is how does it perform when you aren't able to. There were hours on end with 18 wheelers blowing sand and salt in our faces, but this car never flinched. While the ride may not seem floaty, on long trios I can get out and walk and not be doubled over. Road feel is just about perfect giving just enough information to the driver, but not enough to be uncomfortable. Road feel will vary depending on conditions. Haven't figured out how they do that, but they do. Definitely on my way to my third. As for responsive service depts, one can't get better. I actually like going in for check ups."

Love this car!

By on Monday, February 23, 2015

Pros: "Everything."

Cons: "Cost of routine maintenance is high-ish."

"This car is the best car I've ever had and I've had quite a few. It is superior in comfort, reliability and longevity and every other way. Can be serviced at your local Toyota dealership if you find the Lexus dealership too much. It's true that maintenance is more costly than other cars, but the ride and safety in snow and ice make it worth every cent. However, with a good record, insurance is very low cost."

Too many repairs

By on Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pros: "Very comfortable"

Cons: "Had quite a few repairs"

"Had to replace front bearings, malfunctioning air bags, and lost track of small repairs. Not a great vehicle to drive in the rain, sleet etc."

Most Comfortable Vehicle Ever

By on Monday, August 24, 2009

"Great vehicle! Gas mileage just keeps getting better; engine is so quiet you may think it is not running. The vehicle is very easy to enter and egress which would be advantageous for someone with pain in the neck or back. Every occupant has a very comfortable space, plenty of charger outlets, cup holders and storage pockets. The price is a little steep but definitely worth splurging if it fits your budget. I have never been able to ride in the back seat of a vehicle without becoming carsick. However, I rode for 7 hours in the back and never once felt queasy. Sliding console works great for women; my purse fits easily into the space in front of the console. The only drawback is the navigation system does not come with updates. In order to update you must pay about $400 and in a few months you may need another update. Oil changes are recommended at unusual mileage points and allowing dealership to change the oil continues to increase in cost as the maintenance/checkpoints are reached. Last oil change was almost $300 and I did not feel anything special about the customer service or quality of service/parts. I may not continue with the dealership maintenance schedule since the places I use for my other vehicles is about 80% less expensive. Also found unusual that another vehicle I purchased for a work vehicle had free XM Radio trial with purchase (for 6 months). I paid almost 3 times the amount and I have to subscribe and pay the monthly fee. Overall, very satisfied and will hold on to for a while."

My Wife loves her Lexus and Never had any issues!

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"Owned BMW, M-Benz and other luxury vehicles. This Lexus is the only High-line vehicle that has not given us any problems."

Lexus Excels Again

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2008

"This is my second Lexus. I traded my 2004 RX330 for the 2007 400h. The interior is well finished with all of the materials fitting perfectly, very quiet, comfortable and a joy to drive. The engine and CVT perform flawlessly and seamless. You hardly notice the shift from gas to the electric motor. The price difference which really is not that much for a hybrid is worth it no matter what any consumer magazines tell you. Although most of my driving is on the highway, I am still getting 27.5 MPG overall. I am a Lexus owner for life."

A quality used SUV Pick

By on Friday, April 17, 2009

"My wife and I was searching for a new SUV, we looked at the 2009 Murano, Tribeca and Acura RDX - all with the luxuary packages. The average cost of each new was over $33,000 dollars. The RDX was too small, the Murano SL has visibility issues, not a true push button start and no ipod adapter. The Tribeca was a little noisy, but adequate with average looks at best. After all the frustration, we saw a used 2006 Lexus 330. After the test drive, it was love at first site. All the luxury features and size at $28K cost with only 29k miles. This SUV was superior to the brand new vehicles we looked at and you get the quality of a Lexus product and warranty - couldn't beat the deal. No ipod adapter, but we use the cassette adapter for idop and it works great. Go quality used, new SUV prices in this catagory are too high and the Lexus has features neither of the new SUVs we tested have: Adaptive head lights and knee airbag for the driver."

great value

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"I know it may sound strange to say that a Lexus is a great value, but this car really is. My husband and I shopped around almost 8 months before deciding on the RX- we looked at Nissan, Acura, VW, Subaru and BMW. We wanted to find a great car that was also a great value and the RX was clearly it. It was the most comfortable and has the best rating and best of all it was more affordable than BMW, Acura, VW and Nissan. It was only higher priced than the Subaru but for the difference in comfort it was well worth the difference in cost. As you can tell I'm in love!"

I love this car

By on Sunday, September 02, 2007

"A very comfortable, reliable car, with all (or at least most) of the bells and whistles. It gives me a feeling of security, Seating configurations are great. I am short yet I can sit well over the wheel, giving me a feeling of control. GPS is wonderful; I use it constantly. We've never had any mechanical problems. Right now it has a few scratches which need some body work. Have had the car almost 4 years and everything works as well as when new. The cargo space is not as large as some SUVs, so dont get this if you have a lot of "stuff" to carry around. My husband complains about the gas mileage, not great. My day to day driving around town gets me only about 14 mpg. But on long drives it gets as much as 25 mpg. The performance is good, not as "peppy" as our small BMW but it is solid and easy to drive. I love it and would always own one if money were not a consideration."

By on Thursday, August 09, 2007

"I've been a bit disappointed with the in cabin squeaks and jiggling noises. The brakes also tend to really grab if there's any moisture on the road at all. For the amount I paid for this vehicle, I would expect these to be non-issues."