• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2005 Lexus RX

Based on 503 Ratings for the 2004 - 2008 models.

Reliable luxury!!!

By on Friday, December 13, 2013

Pros: "Quality ride and comfortable. Good fuel mileage."

Cons: "Not a sporty ride."

"Would buy again."

Drives good better than most SUV's.

By on Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pros: "Very good vehicle for any kind of weather"

Cons: "The steering racks all RX's seals go easy."

"I recommend this car to any one specially families up to 3 kids it is comfortable nice ride I drive it to florida, Boston , Philadelphia , New Jersey, up state New York , Atlanta etc. no problems still looks new rides like new . I have it since new so it's well kept . The only problem that upset me is that lexus knows that all this steering racks are poor in quality and they haven't done anything about this we the owners have to suffer with this $1400.00 expense. Other than that great cars."

Great Luxury Vehicle for a Bargain Price

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, chic, great sound system"

Cons: "awful city mpg, expensive to maintain"

"I have owned this 2004 RX330 for going on six years. I bought it used in 2008. The owner before me bought it right off the lot in 2003! It had 48,108 miles on it, and came with 50,000 mile /4yr warranty for a certified pre-owned through the dealership. I financed the car for $25,000 with a $2500 down payment. Paid it off early and saved my self a few thousand dollars a year before the end of the 4 year finance period. It has given me minimal problems. I am in the sixth year and it is now giving me just a little trouble (the master panel for the electric windows is on the fritz-- a $300 issue, the front passenger lock some how got jammed and would not work with the power locks-- $20 issue, the front cup holder cover sticks a bit-- warranty issue, and not much else) And everything else that was wrong- a broken seat belt, a crack in the wood paneling-- was covered in the warranty. This is a comfortable SUV-Hatchback that will sit 4 adults and a child with no issues. If you want an all adults get away, you can seat four adults with a nice cup holder/storage compartment between adults in the back seat. This car is excellent on highway gas mileage for its year and class. The tank I would guesstimate is about 20 gallons. And if I am driving a distance of 350 miles, I will not have to fill up on gas. That would take me to the very end of the tank, but I have done it time and again. But beware, this car is completely awful on gas when trying to get around town. This is the reason I give it an 8 out of 10 on quality and driving dynamics. It drives just wonderful--but in order to drive it just wonderful, around town, you would think that someone has punctured your gas tank. You and and your nearest, cheapest gas station should become good friends. Anyway, the highway mileage makes up for that, in some respects. The car only requires 87 grade at the pump--written right in the manual. If you want to do hire grades you can, and you will see higher mileage per gallon, but it is better to stick with one grade of gasoline and have your care serviced regularly. I have found that changing the type of oil that I use in the colder month helps the car do well in freezing cold weather on gas mileage. I switch between the 5w30 synthetic and another for the cold weather that my local servicing shop offers. Now, the type of oil will really affect your gas mileage! The cheap stuff should never even go into this car. But the premium oil change packages will give you 2-3 more miles per gallon of gas with this car. That is amazing to me. This car still looks great after 6 years. One thing that Lexus has on point is design. Their designs are always light years ahead of their competitors, which requires very few changes between model years. We who drive the RXs can tell, but they look awful similar. This makes for excellent branding. You can tell a Lexus from a mile away. Literally. I don't feel like I am driving a 10 year old car, but It is 10 years old, just the same. My car, now in 'good' condition after a front end collision accident, has demonstrated excellence in collision performance. My adjuster said it did exactly what it was supposed to do in the event of a collision, which made it much easier to fix. The car was easily repaired (although expensive. thank GOD for insurance) and returned to better than pre-loss conditions if you ask me. The specialty car that is a Lexus requires that most all of the parts on this machine be replaced by the manufacturer. You can't get parts to match a Lexus anywhere else. The only thing that is interchangeable is the car battery. Ha! This means, that I have close to brand new parts on half of my car. That was not worth the collision, but it helps me to sleep a little better at night knowing that I didn't get second rate parts to restore my car. They aren't even an option for a Lexus. My car runs extremely well, no weird sounds rattling or any of that. It runs smoothly on even the most interesting of roads. It's not really an off road car, but it can far well if you run into some dead end piece of nowhere and need to make a few turnabouts. While this car does not suck up money on silly repairs due to poor quality, upkeep of this car is costly! Especially if you are working with a Lexus servicing center. Their 100,000 miles service? $900. But the service is unmatched. The servicing includes replacement of all filters and spark plugs and all sorts of things not done for a 100,000 service at a standard shop. So, for the high mileage repairs like 100,000, 130,000, and 160,000 i will take it right to the dealer. It's worth the extra money. If you service your car regularly, you won't need to ever lift a finger to repair some unforeseen issue. I have never had the car breakdown, or anything like that. That was due strictly to the servicing. both my local shop and the lexus service center are invaluable to this investment. If you get this car, which I don't think they even offer this anymore, PLEASE don't get the light grey exterior. I have had a TIME with it!! I have light grey leather and carpeting. It looks LOVELY when clean. But it gets much more difficult to clean over time, and you have to clean it regularly to keep it from getting more difficult to clean, usually professionally so you don't mess up the leather, which is pricy!! So i do my own vacuuming and then take it in for a serious in/out detail one a year. Totally worth it! But I wish to GOD I had taken the 2005 model that cost 5000 more with the black interior. It doesn't look as 'dirty' as this light grey does, after many years. In all this is a lovely car. I don't recommend buying a new one off the lots because it's definitely not worth paying the several extra thousand when you can get a year or two older model for much less, which will last you just as long. Toyota makes quality luxury vehicles, that also can be functional and comfortable. It's one of things I love about my car. To me, it is more comfy than it is stylish and that is saying a lot, since the car is very stylish. :-)"

10 years old and still a prtety good vehicle.

By on Friday, November 08, 2013

Pros: "Comfort; quiet inside; fit and finish; solid feel."

Cons: "Brakes"

"Baught in 2003, first year for the model. Had some minor issues with the brakes when I first bought it. Lexus fixed them to a degree but as it is getting older, the issues seem to be coming back. At freeway speeds, if you have to slow down, the brakes feel as though they are going slightly into anti-lock when they shouldn't be. Other than that, the car felt very solid. No rattles or squeeks. It's not a muscle car but if you have to hurry to enter into fast moving traffic, it will gain speed easily. In all, it's a great car. I'll probably trade it in on another one just like it."

I love my Lexus!

By on Friday, November 01, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable and fun to drive."

Cons: "no mp3 player"

"I love this car. Bought it used at 89,000. Owned it now for 2 years and I've only done oil changes, new tires, a transmission flush and wheel alignment - all regular maintenance stuff. The heated seats, dual air, navigation, blue tooth, and leather seats - what's not to like. The only bad thing is there is no mp3 player, but it does have a 5-disc player. I get compliments on the car a lot and it's now 6 years old. It is still a beauty and I'm still in love with it."

2nd RX I have owned, great cars

By on Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pros: "looks good, rides great, makes me feel special"

Cons: "price, I have to purchase used"

"Lexus is the best car to own"

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE MY LEXUS

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Cons: "The auto climate temp fluctuates a little too much"

"It's a little quirky but awesome once you get used to it. Outstanding road car. The ride is so smooth you don't feel worn out on long trips. Gas mileage: In-town 25-27 mpg (with AC). Highway 29-30 (Summer with AC). Road noise is a little more than one would expect from a luxury car but not horrible (newer models are much quieter). Knowing you are helping the environment is a great feeling."

would buy again if it had a hotter engine.

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "great value"

Cons: "Slow"

"Very dependable / great value / would not by hi-bred again."

Best vehicle on the road!

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "very roomy, fun to drive, very quiet"

Cons: "would have liked more cup holders"

"By far the best car I have ever owned. Drives great, very classy and has been extremely reliable. Have kept up with oil changes and mileage check ups and never had a problem! Over 184,000 and going strong!"

Best birthday purchase

By on Sunday, September 01, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, agility, and safety"

Cons: "Gas"

"I'd been in the market for another SUV for almost a year now. I recently sold a Subaru. My RX 350 is preowned. After two months of ownership, I find that it offers a smooth ride, a great view of the road, and simple ease with maneuvering. I am very happy with this purchase and I cannot see myself going back to any other brand!"

LOVE this car!

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "Perfect size and very comfortable."

Cons: "Not enough storage, tight fit for 5."

"This has been a great car, never had a problem with it. Very comfortable, navigation super easy to use. My only complaint is there is not enough storage for things like phone, sunglasses etc. Great air conditioning!"

LOVE (LOVE) this Super Impressive Hybrid Lexus!!

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "SMART value, Comfort, Size, Reliability & Savings!"

Cons: "Just that it was redesigned in 2010. Ha!"

"I've owned a lot of vehicles. I've owned BMW, Volkswagen, Toyota, Mercedes, etc. I typically only keep a vehicle a couple years, but I LOVE my 2007 Lexus RX 400h. This is hands down the longest I've ever owned a vehicle, and I thought I'd share my own pleasant, surprising experience with you. What I love: *Reliability* - Never have had a thing go wrong, ever; *Hybrid Savings* - I've averaged 26 mi/gal every year, and I do a lot of interstate driving so if you're in city, you'll probably do even better, but simply outstanding for an SUV; *Power* - You would never know this is a Hybrid - other than fact that it makes no noise! Get up & go is exceptional. LOVE this vehicle! *Comfort* - I've gone coast to coast in this, and it is just comfortable, plus all the bells & whistles for its time from heated seats, moonroof, DVD/6-CD, navigation, tow pkg, power everything - push button/auto-open access to trunk, back-up camera, etc, etc. *!JUST SMART!* - I hate depreciating money. As far as vehicles go, this baby is a winner all the way around for me. Great gas mileage. Great comfort for my clients. Low maintenance! Oil changes every 5K and your basic 30K, 60K, 90K, 120K service recommendations. Done & done. If you are wondering if the older Lexus RX Hybrids are any good, I'm here to tell you, my 2007 RX 400h is amazing. The *ONLY* reason I am even considering an upgrade to the RX 450h is because I have clients with me often and the redesign has been out long enough now that more & more of my clients realize the difference between brand new & guessing the age of mine (most clients have no idea mine is a 2007) Which reminds me of another reason I am sold on Lexus: Lexus rarely does a huge/highly noticeable redesign...to which I say THANK YOU. The more redesigns, the more/faster depreciation to previous models. Why change what isn't broken? Ironically, I wasn't sure if I liked "the look" of the Lexus RX 400h when I first bought it. I've literally grown to love it more & more & more with every year! It's the funniest thing to me. I think the combination of how SMART this vehicle is in quality, comfort, value and ride just has me loving it more than I ever would have guessed possible. I frequent car shows, and definitely enjoy a good-looking vehicle(!), but I'm also more like Warren Buffett at my core...and thus I'm not a fan of pouring money into depreciating investments anymore than absolutely necessary. The Lexus RX 400h has been the smartest vehicle purchase for my needs from a financial place, too. Both the Lexus name & hybrid aspect assure my clients (that can't help but judge me/my success by what I drive) that they are in good hands, and the hybrid mileage savings, cargo size & exceptional reliability satisfies my need for achieving the most bang for my buck in this part of my life. I don't know what else to say. I've grown to love this vehicle more & more & more with every passing year. I just hope the RX 450h is as awesome as my 2007 RX 400h!!"

Completely spoiled by this car!!

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Pros: "stylish, RELIABLE, really takes care of you"

Cons: "Protect seats and armrests from sunscreen, etc."

"At 145,000 miles, it's time to start thinking about a new car, but I hate the thought! The garage man who recently changed the oil (and yes, I maintain it on schedule), said, "I gotta hand it to you--it's in excellent condition!" What other car wouldn't be leaking, at least a little, at this age? Only one moon roof glitch has cost us extra for repairs. Paint looks like new, too. I love the little pampering extras--like opening the windows with the key. One teeny complaint is that the leather seats show some wear after 10 searing, sweating, saltwater, sunscreened Florida summers. We'll get a new one just like this--definitely worth the substantial up front price."

Outstanding automobile

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

Pros: "Everything is pro about this vehicle!!!"

Cons: "Have Not found any yet, only had it since 2004"

"One of the Best autos We've ever own. Wife Loves It. Comfortable, handles beautifully, Good gas mileage. AWD Outstanding. 18" wheels give Great ride and handling even in the SNOW. Will buy another!!!!"

No difficulties at all. Comfort, silent, motoring

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "A great ride in town or across country. No worries"

Cons: "Nothing to mention"

"The ideal auto of it's type. Gas mileage is 19 - 27."

Very disappointed

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pros: "Supposedly a quality car."

Cons: "This must be what people call a LEMON."

"Did all suggested maintenance at a certified Lexus dealer. After about 130000 miles, I was told that the front differential had to be replaced at a cost of $3,500. The automatic rear hatch opener/closer only worked for a few months after warranty expiration. Some door and window insulation is falling off."

Bells and whistles galore

By on Friday, August 02, 2013

Pros: "Luxury, comfort, nice to drive, some neat features"

Cons: "You pay for what you get"

"This car really cossets you. Couldn't justify cost new, so bought used 2005 with 72K miles. 630 page instruction manual boggles the mind. Very nice interior. Automatic wipers and headlights are a bit over the top, and the GPS is rather inelegant tho the female voice is nice. Compromise between ride comfort and handling is well done. Toyota dealers can service, a big plus for cost. Still learning the bells and whistles of which there are many, some good and others are what were they thinking?"

Love this car and still not ready to trade

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great comfort and enjoyable"

Cons: "cup holders in the back would be great"

"I have kept excellent records on the care and maintenance of this car - find it hard to let it go even though it have such high milage. I have never had any problems with this car and it is 7 years old."

Highly Reliable Vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

"Excellent driving dynamics, very comfortable interior, highly reliable. Definitely recommend this vehicle."

Overall, a very, very nice car.

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pros: "Great ride, nice stereo & interior, reliable"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"We test drove a Honda CRV, Lexus RX330, and a Nissan Murano. Only the Lexus wowed us. It cost more, but you often get what you pay for. I have never regretted buying this car."

Above Ave Mid Size SUV

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "smooth driver"

Cons: "ignition coil replacement - costly."

"Overall RX350 has been great to drive. known issues (buyer beware) AFS light blinking, Ignition coils failing. Front ones easy to replace yourself. Rear ones will cost you $800 (Do rear {3} all at once. Rear Power Trunk struggles to work in the winter time."

I love this car!

By on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pros: "Style, reliability, value and smooth ride"

Cons: "Design of cockpit, floor mats"

"I like to keep my cars until the wheels fall off! I hesitated to buy (new) because of the price but in the long run, I came out ahead. Love the tightness, smooth ride, gas mileage and reliability. I got the first year body style and it still lookes fresh, still get compliments. I pulled a boat across country with no trouble. I haul dogs, stuff from Home Depot by day and take it out on the town at night! All I've done with it is change oil, tires and scheduled maintenance. The only things I'd change are the front passenger floor mats (not secure, bunch-up), the front dash is a little confusing (wipers, knobs, dials, settings require a degree from MIT, or am I just stupid?), and the arrangement of the cockpit could have been more efficient."

Love at 1st drive

By on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pros: "comfort and style"

"Excellent vehicle, fun to drives, safe and reliable."

Best vehicle

By on Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pros: "Great reliability and style"

"Best vehicle that I've ever owned. Owned new Lincolns for over 30 years, they were reliable, but never had one as long as I've had this Lexus...I still love it, even though I've had it for over 10 years."

Past 311,000 and still going strong.

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "reliable, practical"

Cons: "not a race car"

"We have rolled over 311,000 miles and it just continues to work. We have had very few problems with it and have spent very little money on it aside from maintenance. The seats are less comfortable that they used to be and we hear more road noise, but we can live with that at this point."