2003 Lexus RX

Based on 420 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

Most reliable and trouble free car ever!

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"This car is now 14 years old. It has never had a major problem. It has never failed to start, all of the systems still work at 100%. It has the same feel and power as it did when I first got it. The styling is such, that even though it may not look like a brand-new model, it looks like a newer car. I will keep it as long as possible. My fear is that if something happens, that it is totaled or stolen, I won't get its real value. It's worth a brand-new car. I have 120,000 miles on it. The dealer says I should expect 200,000 at the minimum. It doesn't burn a drop of oil, and the air-conditioning still will freeze you out. I have heard that this is considered the best SUV model Lexus has made. I cannot imagine a more reliable sturdy car."

So sad to outgrow it!!!!

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"I LOVE MY RX300!!!!!!!!!1 I have an '00, which I purchased used in '04, and it seemed like new. It is the first luxury vehicle I've owned, and I'm sad to say that our growing family needs more space. I'm one of those Moms that will NEVER own a minivan, and this vehicle has well suited our family's needs for the past 4 years. We live in Maine with LOTS of snow, and this vehicle handles amazingly in the snow! We can climb any incline with the SNOW traction setting, and it's so nice to feel so safe and secure even in the slipperiest road conditions. When other cars avoid the road like the plague, we're out for a Sunday drive in our RX! It's as smooth as a sedan, unbelievably quiet. It corners well, looks great, and is extremely comfortable & stylish. You can't go wrong with this vehicle!"

reliable,comfortable awd suv

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "reliability,quality,awd-excellent traction"

Cons: "premium gas ,typical suv-poor gas mileage"

"bought as 3 year old with only 32,000 miles-like new.now 14 years old with 168,000.well maintained-oil changed every 5k,trans fluid every 30k.no engine nor trans problem. basically no major work.only tires,brakes,rotors and couple oxygen sensors & ignition coil.have noticed last year slight engine oil leak-add maybe half quart a month.Body,paint interior leather good condition-driver seat rip fixed couple years ago.Only real complaint is car runs better on premium gas and gas mileage 17-24 mpg."

Best car on the road, as far as I'm concerned

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "I love my navigation system, it drives great still"

Cons: "It won't wear out and I want a new car."

"Well, I want to get rid of this car because I want a new car, but I just can't justify it even yet. There's nothing wrong with it! I've driven it everywhere, on the road and in town. Nearly 300000 miles now, and it is quiet, the drive is great, the gas mileage is OK... as advertised. I bought it used with about a thousand miles on it back in 2001. A few small small problems, like the power locks. This year the front defroster on the inside of the dash went out. I still have the original engine, and have had such minimal repairs that I can't even remember them. I just have a great mechanic that checks it over now and then, and do routine maintenance and oil changes. Someone even asked me this year if I just got a new car! The cassette tape deck quit functioning long ago :) What can I say but NO PROBLEMS except for very minor ones."

Best Quality!

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"I purchased my 99 model RX300 new in Aug, 1998. It now got 116K miles. It still runs like new. The engine is smooth and quiet. I drove it to move from Houston to Chicago and back. It had enough room to take all my stuff and another passenger. I haven't had any problem with it except for regular maintenance. I did have to change the rear door lock swtich (it wouldn't lock). This car is also very safe. I was hit in the rear by a Durango on the freeway. The Durango's front end was totally gone with fluid leaking everywhere. My lexus had no frame demage, only had to replace the rear door, the lock was stuck after the impact; and the bumper. Lexus did a great job on the repair. For the last two years, I have been sending my car to a Toyota Dealer for service. It saves me a lot of $$. Especially at the 90K timing belt replacement. I believe that it's about time for the valve cover gasket replacement, I see a little oil leak. But no big deal, I will do it on the next oil change. I'm keeping this car for a long time more. I strongly recommend this car. *The lady who had problem with oil gel in engine, Toyota sent out a warranty letter stating that they will cover all repair. You should check with Lexus.*"

Just ok

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "smooth drivetrain, ride. comfortable seats."

Cons: "poor gas mileage, poor interior ergonomics"

"RX300 AWD. Purch 12/2011 w/ 110.6K miles. Now 4/2014 with 157.7K miles. The car was pretty clean when we bought it. Putting about 20K per year on the car. First 2 years - no problems except O2 sensor #1 had to be replaced. Pros-silky smooth engine/trans, very smooth ride, perfect steering wheel, comfortable seats for long drives. Have driven it on many long distance trips (Raleigh-Chicago, Raleigh-SanAntonio, Dallas-Raliegh, Dallas-Chicago) Runs like a swiss watch. Cons-lots of wind noise around A pillars, does not like cross-winds, terrible ergonomics on radio and climate controls - the buttons and knobs are identical for both. Info screen washes out on sunny days-can't read it. No compass, no steering wheel controls for radio or cruise control. Disappointing gas mileage - 17 around town; never more than 20.5 pure highway. Short gearing is probably the biggest contributor to poor MPG-abt 2950 at 70MPH, and side mirrors the size of small flat screen TVs. Very expensive to repair. $1200 for timing belt/water pump. (timing belt on a $40K vehicle is unacceptable, Lexus/Toyota!) Needed knock sensor, valve cover gaskets-$2200. Two catalytic converters-$900. The little V6 is low and jammed against firewall; very labor intensive to work on the engine. With recent repair costs over past 4 months, not sure I'd buy another one."

Best vehicle ever owned

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "Luxury options are still operational & looks great"

Cons: "Small gas tank"

"I call my 2000 RX 300 my baby and for 13 years she has been a dream to drive and is still in excellent condition inside and out. I just had to replace brakes and the water pump but I was willing to spend the money since this was really the only expense I have had to do in the 13 years that I owned this car, with the exception of batteries and tires. I have no desire to ever get rid of this car since she runs great and everything is still operational including the heated seats. With all the luxury features that this vehicle has it is no wonder the reviews are so favorable for this car."

Good Car

By on Sunday, December 30, 2007

"I've owned my RX300 for 7 years now. I am very happy with the vehicle. As much as I love the car, the transmission did fail at 99k miles. The repair cost was $4.5k...ouch. Other than that, the car has been very reliable. I bought the car with a navigation system back in 2001. For me, the navigation system is a life saver. It is funny to see the new "portable GPS" systems that folks rant and rave about. I'm like...that's nothing new to me :-)"

lexus rx300 suv- fantastic

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"I bought my rx300 used with lots of mileage on it already. My family mechanic said that the Lexus engine was built to last. So I bought the car from a retired senior with over 100k miles on it. Despite the wear on the interior leather, the SUV itself is a super value for a super car. I've put hard wear and tear, lots of mileage, towed my kids and all their big toys, used it for work for stop and go appointments and like the energizer bunny, it keeps running! I'm very happy with it."

Awesome car!!!

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Awesome car."

Cons: "Gas consumption."

"I have owned a 2000 Lexus RX300 for over 10 years, bought it used, and is a champ!!! Awesome car! Wish I could replace it with another one. This car keeps on going and holds up on value. Lexus are great cars. The only thing with my car now with 179,000 miles+ is high gas consumption. Its doing about 15 mpg in city which is to be expected because of high mileage, but still a great car."

Reliability should be a 20...Excellent Vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"Seriously, I have only had this car in the shop for regular maintenance. Giving to my daughter and her family after 11 years of driving."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

"I bought this Lexus used in 2003 with 30,000 miles on it. It still runs great and although is 12 years old, I really can't justify selling it. Would definately buy another Lexus if I could afford one. Quality car who's value lasts."

Best car I've ever had

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pros: "Smooth quiet ride, reliable"

Cons: "Cup holders could be deeper to prevent tipping"

"100,000 miles and never any problems. Still looks and even smells new inside. The ride is better than my friends new cars (other brands). I love this car and hope to get 200,000 miles on it."

All This and great milage too?!

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Consider my self a Car Guy, and this is the best in 50 yrs! All that you see and feel + 20m/g around town and 24-26 on the hwy... on REGULAR!!! Surprised how great the Nav System is in town when you're back-up and need to know if a side street will go thru. I'd buy a 330 or 350 but no reason to changed with just 80K miles and the ability to use any gas! From an MG-A to a Mustang Cobra and 3 BMWs along the way, the Rx300 is the best overall vehicle I've owned!"

Good ride

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"I am on my way to another one. The ride is great, but the steering is better on the 2003's and up. Good gas mileage and comfort. 330 and 350 has more power. Great car I'm hooked!"

By far, the best car purchase I ever made.

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and effortless to drive-smooth and quiet"

Cons: "Steering Radius"

"When I bought my Lexus, I test drove all of them, BMW, Acura, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, Mercedes and the rest. It was not until I sat in the RX300... After purchasing, the years went on and I could not have been more pleased - and why not. - The body design was still in style. - The interior and exterior still were like new. - No mechanical problems at all... it ran great! - Gas mileage was even holding true. - No car payment! Now it is 12 years later and the little things are starting to go, door locks, shorts in the electrical, leather is worn, and not quite in style like it was. That said, know that my RX300 still runs like a champ and has no signs of letting up. Best Car Purchase I Ever Made!"

Great car, couple of flaws though

By on Thursday, July 15, 2010

"I have had my 1999 RX 300 for 2 years now. I purchased it 2 years ago with 94k miles. I now have 140k miles on it, and only recently started having a problem. The car wasn't shifting into OD...anytime I was on the highway, I couldn't go faster than 55. I did some research and became a little startled when I read my car is known to have transmission problems. Everything that everyone was stating was happening the exact same way with me. After doing a little more research, I discovered this car actually has bad knock sensors...a design flaw from Lexus. Which explains why people who had their transmissions replaced in their RX continued to have problems afterwards. I just had the knock sensors replaced (be prepared to spend $1100 from Lexus Dealorship), and so far so good! Other than that, I love my car. I live in CO and take regular trips to the mountains and it out performs most other cars with power. It does great in the snow as well."

Sheer comfort

By on Thursday, May 15, 2008

"This is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. I love to drive this vehicle. The only thing I would change is the turn radius. In this vehicle, you need a large area to turn around in which makes it inconvenient in many parking situations. Overall this vehicle has been reliable, comfortable, stylish and easy to own."

luv my car

By on Friday, February 22, 2013

Cons: "no cup holders in rear, heated seats uncontrolled"

"i bought this car at 168,000. which actually surprised myself and my family when i took the chance at buying a car with that many miles on it. glad i did. this car has been so good to me even when i was not so good to her. she continued to start for me everyday without fail. she has been very dependable for other members of my family who has needed her as well. all she asked for was her oil changes on time and to stick with one brand of gas. once she hit 200k, i began using premium gas and she purrs like a kitten. Keep in mind that this was Lexus' 1st year making this model so some of the features was not quite worked out yet, like the dual heated seats are not individually controlled. And it is lacking rear cupholders in the armrests, etc. My very 1st(college) vehicle was a toyota.and i believe my very last one (retirement) willbe one! (Lexus)"

Go LEXUS

By on Saturday, January 12, 2013

Pros: "its quiet and smooth as long as taken care of"

look how nice

"this car is so relible ive had it for alittle more than ten yrs with over 140000 miles and it still drives like new,many people mistake this car for the new one,cuz it drives and looks so nice,I recommend this car to anyone who what a nice luxury car for a lower price."

look how nice

Great Ride

By on Monday, January 07, 2008

"We bought a 1999 RX 300 from Car Max, and after having owned just about every luxury car there is and not being able to find an SUV to suit me, I was delighted with this after the test drive. This is the first time in a long time that I have a desire to own the exact same car the next time I purchase."

Loved it until...

By on Thursday, December 06, 2007

"I was totally in love with my 2000 Lexus RX300. Then, at about 80,000 miles my transmission was having problems. Turns out I need a new tranmission already! I have put in a claim with Lexus, even though it is not under warranty. I have heard that they have helped with the cost in some cases. I am really hoping they do not ruin my views of Lexus. I was so happy with my vehicle before this, that I was planning on driving Lexuses forever! :("

Went to Atlanta car show...new RX 350 is $45G plus

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Quality and minimal upkeep costs."

Cons: "Wish I had bought two in 1999."

"My 15 yr old RX 300 runs like a champ..only wish would be better turning radius, but overall is a most reliable and excellent transportation. Toyota's first RX was a gem."

Outstanding Vehicle For The Money!

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "Great Value For The Dollar!"

Cons: "Stearing Radius"

"Bought this car in Feb. 2001 from a Lexus dealer and have every service done there even though I have to drive 200 miles to do so! I restore antique vehicles and know the value of cars. For the price, the best value car you could ever own. Even though the new ones have a lot of bells and whistles, I can find no reason to sell or trade in this great vehicle. The paint, interior and road driving ability of this Lexus, is the same as the day I drove it off the lot!"

quality not what I expected from Lexus

By on Thursday, November 08, 2012

Pros: "ride and driver position"

Cons: "exp. repairs which should not be needed at 89000 m"

"Have owned this car since 2003. Only has 89,000 miles. Very much over rated by Consumer Reports, etc. Has been taken the best of care and always garaged, all preventive maintenance done. Just spent over $2,000 in one month to fix rear main seal leak and two sensors. Now has a vibration in the exhaust system, screams when you turn it too sharply. Turning radius is that of a large truck. Extremely comfortable and love driver position."