2003 Lexus RX

Based on 385 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

Excellent vehicle!

By on Sunday, July 06, 2014

"I bought this car used and have driven it for 11 years. It is a beautiful car! One of my favorite features is the premium stereo because the sound is just so Nice!! It has an extremely comfortable cabin. I have loved it so much and about 3 years ago started getting that itch for a new car. I looked at all the SUVs used and new and debated giving up a car I still really enjoyed. This year, I chose another Lexus! Once again for the reliability, beauty, and the fabulous drive."

Best car ever for our family

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

Cons: "Gas consumming. Only 15-16 miles / gallon"

"We own this car for 13 years with 259000 miles on it and still running great. We take so many roadtrip with this car. I wish Lexus still have the same model. The new RX look and feel so fleemsy."

very good condition

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Very reliable utility vehicle in affordable price."

Cons: "High milage"

"work done in less than 500 miles ago- Timing belt with water pump belt tensioner and pullys, cam and crank seals, drive belts. All four brakes with new rotors. Front struts,ball joints and sway bar link rod. California emission passable. Chrome wheels."

love it the best

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "handles well"

Cons: "expensive but worth it"

"I love it. I would buy another one. Reliable. Classy. Comfortable. Excellent in the snow. My only complaint is the wide turning radius when turning around. Over 140000 miles and still going strong!"

i love this vehicle

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "rides nicely"

Cons: "retains alot of interior dust"

"i would always remain in the lexus family, because I am treated with high standards and the vehicle has excellent maintenance to endure its performance"

Great at first but not for long term

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Great style and load capacity."

Cons: "Less than 123K miles, better have cash"

"I bought the 2002 Lexus 300 thinking that this premium car from Toyota would last 175K to 250K miles, if I took care of it. For 12 years, I have followed the Lexus guidelines for maintenance taking it to the Lexus dealer. I currently have 123,000 miles on it. I love the way it drives and style. It is also great to haul large loads. In the first years, the only problem I had was with the adhesive label/plastic on doors, fender and back of car. Being a "luxury car" it looked bad and I replaced 3 times at the cost of $800 each time. Then when the car turned 9 years old with only 90,000 miles the real cost began. Blue smoke came from my car. $1500, Oil pan Gasket replaced 2 times, Oil leaking replaced Valve cover and gasket $3200. Now the exhaust is not right and for an additional $2700. I thought I was buying a Toyota Luxury Car that would last. Now I am looking for a cheap car with the expectation of lasting 6 years."

Awesome car!!!

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Awesome car."

Cons: "Gas consumption."

"I have owned a 2000 Lexus RX300 for over 10 years, bought it used, and is a champ!!! Awesome car! Wish I could replace it with another one. This car keeps on going and holds up on value. Lexus are great cars. The only thing with my car now with 179,000 miles+ is high gas consumption. Its doing about 15 mpg in city which is to be expected because of high mileage, but still a great car."

So very disappointed in this car-all this at 99K!

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "Good on tires, great driving position, comfortable"

Cons: "too many ailments to name! Unreliable & expensive!"

"I bought this car a little before retirement, and thought it would last for years and years, as I always keep up all maintenance and have a habit of actually overdoing anything a car might need sometimes before recommended. Always kept in garage never outside. I did all the research before I bought this car and spent months looking for it. Was supposed to be trouble free according to everything I could find, as are other Lexus cars. I have been completely disappointed in this area. I bought the car when it had 15,000 miles on it at age 3 and now it is 14 years old and only has 99k on it, so I know the car's history. It has had to have several sensors at about $300 each. Just had the rear main seal replaced at $1300. Is leaking on the rear of valve cover gasket, had front differential leaks and rear differential leak, as well as has vibration due to (they tell me) leaking gel motor supports. Had problems with power window motor on drivers' side. The automatic door lock key came apart and the cost to replace was ungodly. Latest event: Leaking transmission fluid! Cost to repair will be $900 to 1500. Every time I get ready to go on vacation, it has a new ailment. People are brainwashed that these are great vehicles, but I would never recommend one to a friend, and I will never buy another one! The good thing that I can think of which was better than expected is that I put Michelin tires on it in 2004; they had 84,000 miles on them and were still as smooth as silk and still had tread, but I was afraid and replaced them, as it had been over ten years! I love the way this car rides and how comfortable it is on a trip; I have driven over ten hours at a time and arrived barely tired."

Rebuilt transmission at 140,000.

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "Good MN winter car. Good AWD."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage. Expensive transmission repair."

"Great in the snow. Smoothe on the road. Great heat and A/C. Wonderful sound system. Expensive transmission rebuild at 140,000 and I'm aware of 2 others with same problem. Comfortable interior. No problems with rust. 16 mpg city, 21 mpg hiway. Most difficult vehicle I've ever changed oil on. Use Moble One. Does not use a drop of oil between changes. Very wide turning radius. Quiet, smoothe engine. Bought in 2009 with 97,000 miles."

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, fun to drive, looks great"

"Still driving this car after 15 years! I still love my car. I don't want to give it up. Dependable, fun to drive and still looks great too!"

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, fun to drive, looks great"

Just ok

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "smooth drivetrain, ride. comfortable seats."

Cons: "poor gas mileage, poor interior ergonomics"

"RX300 AWD. Purch 12/2011 w/ 110.6K miles. Now 4/2014 with 157.7K miles. The car was pretty clean when we bought it. Putting about 20K per year on the car. First 2 years - no problems except O2 sensor #1 had to be replaced. Pros-silky smooth engine/trans, very smooth ride, perfect steering wheel, comfortable seats for long drives. Have driven it on many long distance trips (Raleigh-Chicago, Raleigh-SanAntonio, Dallas-Raliegh, Dallas-Chicago) Runs like a swiss watch. Cons-lots of wind noise around A pillars, does not like cross-winds, terrible ergonomics on radio and climate controls - the buttons and knobs are identical for both. Info screen washes out on sunny days-can't read it. No compass, no steering wheel controls for radio or cruise control. Disappointing gas mileage - 17 around town; never more than 20.5 pure highway. Short gearing is probably the biggest contributor to poor MPG-abt 2950 at 70MPH, and side mirrors the size of small flat screen TVs. Very expensive to repair. $1200 for timing belt/water pump. (timing belt on a $40K vehicle is unacceptable, Lexus/Toyota!) Needed knock sensor, valve cover gaskets-$2200. Two catalytic converters-$900. The little V6 is low and jammed against firewall; very labor intensive to work on the engine. With recent repair costs over past 4 months, not sure I'd buy another one."

Just ok

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "smooth drivetrain, ride. comfortable seats."

Cons: "poor gas mileage, poor interior ergonomics"

Most reliable and trouble free car ever!

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"This car is now 14 years old. It has never had a major problem. It has never failed to start, all of the systems still work at 100%. It has the same feel and power as it did when I first got it. The styling is such, that even though it may not look like a brand-new model, it looks like a newer car. I will keep it as long as possible. My fear is that if something happens, that it is totaled or stolen, I won't get its real value. It's worth a brand-new car. I have 120,000 miles on it. The dealer says I should expect 200,000 at the minimum. It doesn't burn a drop of oil, and the air-conditioning still will freeze you out. I have heard that this is considered the best SUV model Lexus has made. I cannot imagine a more reliable sturdy car."

Stay Away if you can't help it.

By on Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Pros: "Handling, Interior design, fancy, good price."

Cons: "Transmission, gas, transfer case"

"I have owned this car for 2 years now and I love the interior, the handling, and enjoyed it for sometime. If you do not know this car is KNOWN by many to have transmission failures even with regular maintenance. Some report transmission problem before hitting 100k miles. I had it fixed and again it will need fixing. Gas is not that good but not horrible. Around 19MPH if you driving on freeway alot."

Went to Atlanta car show...new RX 350 is $45G plus

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Quality and minimal upkeep costs."

Cons: "Wish I had bought two in 1999."

"My 15 yr old RX 300 runs like a champ..only wish would be better turning radius, but overall is a most reliable and excellent transportation. Toyota's first RX was a gem."

Reliability should be a 20...Excellent Vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"Seriously, I have only had this car in the shop for regular maintenance. Giving to my daughter and her family after 11 years of driving."

Most reliable car.

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

"I loved this car. I bought it new and it has been the best investment and so reliable. I feel I have gotten my moneys worth. Having said that, I don't plan to buy another Lexus for two reasons: the gas mileage has not improved significantly since 2001 and for the high price they could have worked on improving this feature. Also, I don't like the look of the new Lexus. It looks and feels bigger. After owning this vehicle for 13 years I'm ready for a change."

Great ride, nice features, super reliable

By on Sunday, March 09, 2014

Cons: "expensive dealer service."

"12 years of ownership...looks as good as new except alloy wheels. Recommend spending extra for chrome wheels. Really has been a great car."

reliable,comfortable awd suv

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "reliability,quality,awd-excellent traction"

Cons: "premium gas ,typical suv-poor gas mileage"

"bought as 3 year old with only 32,000 miles-like new.now 14 years old with 168,000.well maintained-oil changed every 5k,trans fluid every 30k.no engine nor trans problem. basically no major work.only tires,brakes,rotors and couple oxygen sensors & ignition coil.have noticed last year slight engine oil leak-add maybe half quart a month.Body,paint interior leather good condition-driver seat rip fixed couple years ago.Only real complaint is car runs better on premium gas and gas mileage 17-24 mpg."

Great car, saved my hide in an accident

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "Safety, Ride, comfort, sound system, style."

Cons: "Gas mileage, turning radios, changing the oil."

"I owned this car for a little over a year, and have to say it was a great experience. The ride, the power it had, and not to mention the safety of it when I had the accident. If you want a car that is reliable, decent on gas and feels like a solid vehicle, buy one. I put a lot of highway mileage on it and was great in all weather. I guess the one insight I Have on this vehicle that many people don't is the safety of it. I felt like I had to write about the incident and how the car did't disappoint me when it mattered. I was going around 50 to 60 Mph, when a car decided to make a left turn and cut me off. I hit the front right of a large jeep head on. Like many people it all happened so fast. It literally happened, my car came to a stop, I put it in park and got out, no joke. The airbags deployed and I had my seat belt on. The car did its job, and saved me from some serious injuries. If I get the chance I would buy another one in a flash. I truly will miss it, and talk the car up any chance I get."

Best vehicle ever

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "great great car"

Cons: "nothing bad to report have had 10+ years"

"I purchased this vehicle used at 44,500 miles in 2003.... Have only replaced the transmission at <100,000 miles (it's only hiccup I've had). This is an excellent vehicle I cannot think of any type of vehicle I would want now (other than another 2003-2004 Lexus). I just love my 2000 with heated front seats. The ease of driving it, especially in the rain; it is a great car overall, very low maintenance. Just routine tune-ups & oil change. The multiple disc CD player; with the cassette and stereo system is fantastic. I can read a whole book on my way from NC to Fl; and with the ease of the vehicle driving time flies by. Highly recommend this vehicle top everyone."

I love this car , just ready for a new car

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Love this car it's just ok'd and little stuff goin"

Cons: "Cons same as pros"

"Replaced brand new transmission at 101,000 mi"

Sevice records available. No problems ever!

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "Enjoyable to drive."

Cons: "Interior beginning to show age!"

"Oil changed every 3000 miles. Loved this car. Interior is fair."

Best car on the road, as far as I'm concerned

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "I love my navigation system, it drives great still"

Cons: "It won't wear out and I want a new car."

"Well, I want to get rid of this car because I want a new car, but I just can't justify it even yet. There's nothing wrong with it! I've driven it everywhere, on the road and in town. Nearly 300000 miles now, and it is quiet, the drive is great, the gas mileage is OK... as advertised. I bought it used with about a thousand miles on it back in 2001. A few small small problems, like the power locks. This year the front defroster on the inside of the dash went out. I still have the original engine, and have had such minimal repairs that I can't even remember them. I just have a great mechanic that checks it over now and then, and do routine maintenance and oil changes. Someone even asked me this year if I just got a new car! The cassette tape deck quit functioning long ago :) What can I say but NO PROBLEMS except for very minor ones."