2002 Lexus RX

Based on 409 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

Just ok

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "smooth drivetrain, ride. comfortable seats."

Cons: "poor gas mileage, poor interior ergonomics"

"RX300 AWD. Purch 12/2011 w/ 110.6K miles. Now 4/2014 with 157.7K miles. The car was pretty clean when we bought it. Putting about 20K per year on the car. First 2 years - no problems except O2 sensor #1 had to be replaced. Pros-silky smooth engine/trans, very smooth ride, perfect steering wheel, comfortable seats for long drives. Have driven it on many long distance trips (Raleigh-Chicago, Raleigh-SanAntonio, Dallas-Raliegh, Dallas-Chicago) Runs like a swiss watch. Cons-lots of wind noise around A pillars, does not like cross-winds, terrible ergonomics on radio and climate controls - the buttons and knobs are identical for both. Info screen washes out on sunny days-can't read it. No compass, no steering wheel controls for radio or cruise control. Disappointing gas mileage - 17 around town; never more than 20.5 pure highway. Short gearing is probably the biggest contributor to poor MPG-abt 2950 at 70MPH, and side mirrors the size of small flat screen TVs. Very expensive to repair. $1200 for timing belt/water pump. (timing belt on a $40K vehicle is unacceptable, Lexus/Toyota!) Needed knock sensor, valve cover gaskets-$2200. Two catalytic converters-$900. The little V6 is low and jammed against firewall; very labor intensive to work on the engine. With recent repair costs over past 4 months, not sure I'd buy another one."

Best vehicle ever owned

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "Luxury options are still operational & looks great"

Cons: "Small gas tank"

"I call my 2000 RX 300 my baby and for 13 years she has been a dream to drive and is still in excellent condition inside and out. I just had to replace brakes and the water pump but I was willing to spend the money since this was really the only expense I have had to do in the 13 years that I owned this car, with the exception of batteries and tires. I have no desire to ever get rid of this car since she runs great and everything is still operational including the heated seats. With all the luxury features that this vehicle has it is no wonder the reviews are so favorable for this car."

THE BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED. period.

By on Thursday, September 01, 2011

Pros: "Reliable. Comfortable. Great view from drivers seat. Rock star in the snow."

Cons: "Turning radius is wide."

"I bought my 1999 RX 300 in 2006 with 110,000 miles on it. I really wanted this car but I HATE paying a lot for a vehicle. I knew from reviews and the fact that it was a Lexus/Toyota it would be fine with higher miles and I was comfortable buying a car with higher miles. Fast forward to 2011. I still have this car, it now has 155k on it. I've driven everywhere. I do not hesitate to take this car on a road trip in an instant. I just put new tires on it about 2 years ago, it is a rock star in the snow. It is SO comfortable for someone short (5 foot 2 inches) for me to drive. I love this car, it's my baby. I'm now without a car payment and while most people would trade up I'm keeping her for as long as she lasts. This car fits me like a well worn favorite leather chair. Seriously! Previous cars owned: honda civics, honda prelude, lexus SC300, toyota 4runner, lexus es300 and chrysler minivan."

Good Car

By on Sunday, December 30, 2007

"I've owned my RX300 for 7 years now. I am very happy with the vehicle. As much as I love the car, the transmission did fail at 99k miles. The repair cost was $4.5k...ouch. Other than that, the car has been very reliable. I bought the car with a navigation system back in 2001. For me, the navigation system is a life saver. It is funny to see the new "portable GPS" systems that folks rant and rave about. I'm like...that's nothing new to me :-)"

lexus rx300 suv- fantastic

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"I bought my rx300 used with lots of mileage on it already. My family mechanic said that the Lexus engine was built to last. So I bought the car from a retired senior with over 100k miles on it. Despite the wear on the interior leather, the SUV itself is a super value for a super car. I've put hard wear and tear, lots of mileage, towed my kids and all their big toys, used it for work for stop and go appointments and like the energizer bunny, it keeps running! I'm very happy with it."