2001 Lexus RX

Based on 421 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

Most reliable and trouble free car ever!

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"This car is now 14 years old. It has never had a major problem. It has never failed to start, all of the systems still work at 100%. It has the same feel and power as it did when I first got it. The styling is such, that even though it may not look like a brand-new model, it looks like a newer car. I will keep it as long as possible. My fear is that if something happens, that it is totaled or stolen, I won't get its real value. It's worth a brand-new car. I have 120,000 miles on it. The dealer says I should expect 200,000 at the minimum. It doesn't burn a drop of oil, and the air-conditioning still will freeze you out. I have heard that this is considered the best SUV model Lexus has made. I cannot imagine a more reliable sturdy car."

So sad to outgrow it!!!!

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"I LOVE MY RX300!!!!!!!!!1 I have an '00, which I purchased used in '04, and it seemed like new. It is the first luxury vehicle I've owned, and I'm sad to say that our growing family needs more space. I'm one of those Moms that will NEVER own a minivan, and this vehicle has well suited our family's needs for the past 4 years. We live in Maine with LOTS of snow, and this vehicle handles amazingly in the snow! We can climb any incline with the SNOW traction setting, and it's so nice to feel so safe and secure even in the slipperiest road conditions. When other cars avoid the road like the plague, we're out for a Sunday drive in our RX! It's as smooth as a sedan, unbelievably quiet. It corners well, looks great, and is extremely comfortable & stylish. You can't go wrong with this vehicle!"

reliable,comfortable awd suv

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "reliability,quality,awd-excellent traction"

Cons: "premium gas ,typical suv-poor gas mileage"

"bought as 3 year old with only 32,000 miles-like new.now 14 years old with 168,000.well maintained-oil changed every 5k,trans fluid every 30k.no engine nor trans problem. basically no major work.only tires,brakes,rotors and couple oxygen sensors & ignition coil.have noticed last year slight engine oil leak-add maybe half quart a month.Body,paint interior leather good condition-driver seat rip fixed couple years ago.Only real complaint is car runs better on premium gas and gas mileage 17-24 mpg."

Best car on the road, as far as I'm concerned

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "I love my navigation system, it drives great still"

Cons: "It won't wear out and I want a new car."

"Well, I want to get rid of this car because I want a new car, but I just can't justify it even yet. There's nothing wrong with it! I've driven it everywhere, on the road and in town. Nearly 300000 miles now, and it is quiet, the drive is great, the gas mileage is OK... as advertised. I bought it used with about a thousand miles on it back in 2001. A few small small problems, like the power locks. This year the front defroster on the inside of the dash went out. I still have the original engine, and have had such minimal repairs that I can't even remember them. I just have a great mechanic that checks it over now and then, and do routine maintenance and oil changes. Someone even asked me this year if I just got a new car! The cassette tape deck quit functioning long ago :) What can I say but NO PROBLEMS except for very minor ones."

Best Quality!

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"I purchased my 99 model RX300 new in Aug, 1998. It now got 116K miles. It still runs like new. The engine is smooth and quiet. I drove it to move from Houston to Chicago and back. It had enough room to take all my stuff and another passenger. I haven't had any problem with it except for regular maintenance. I did have to change the rear door lock swtich (it wouldn't lock). This car is also very safe. I was hit in the rear by a Durango on the freeway. The Durango's front end was totally gone with fluid leaking everywhere. My lexus had no frame demage, only had to replace the rear door, the lock was stuck after the impact; and the bumper. Lexus did a great job on the repair. For the last two years, I have been sending my car to a Toyota Dealer for service. It saves me a lot of $$. Especially at the 90K timing belt replacement. I believe that it's about time for the valve cover gasket replacement, I see a little oil leak. But no big deal, I will do it on the next oil change. I'm keeping this car for a long time more. I strongly recommend this car. *The lady who had problem with oil gel in engine, Toyota sent out a warranty letter stating that they will cover all repair. You should check with Lexus.*"

Just ok

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "smooth drivetrain, ride. comfortable seats."

Cons: "poor gas mileage, poor interior ergonomics"

"RX300 AWD. Purch 12/2011 w/ 110.6K miles. Now 4/2014 with 157.7K miles. The car was pretty clean when we bought it. Putting about 20K per year on the car. First 2 years - no problems except O2 sensor #1 had to be replaced. Pros-silky smooth engine/trans, very smooth ride, perfect steering wheel, comfortable seats for long drives. Have driven it on many long distance trips (Raleigh-Chicago, Raleigh-SanAntonio, Dallas-Raliegh, Dallas-Chicago) Runs like a swiss watch. Cons-lots of wind noise around A pillars, does not like cross-winds, terrible ergonomics on radio and climate controls - the buttons and knobs are identical for both. Info screen washes out on sunny days-can't read it. No compass, no steering wheel controls for radio or cruise control. Disappointing gas mileage - 17 around town; never more than 20.5 pure highway. Short gearing is probably the biggest contributor to poor MPG-abt 2950 at 70MPH, and side mirrors the size of small flat screen TVs. Very expensive to repair. $1200 for timing belt/water pump. (timing belt on a $40K vehicle is unacceptable, Lexus/Toyota!) Needed knock sensor, valve cover gaskets-$2200. Two catalytic converters-$900. The little V6 is low and jammed against firewall; very labor intensive to work on the engine. With recent repair costs over past 4 months, not sure I'd buy another one."

Best vehicle ever owned

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "Luxury options are still operational & looks great"

Cons: "Small gas tank"

"I call my 2000 RX 300 my baby and for 13 years she has been a dream to drive and is still in excellent condition inside and out. I just had to replace brakes and the water pump but I was willing to spend the money since this was really the only expense I have had to do in the 13 years that I owned this car, with the exception of batteries and tires. I have no desire to ever get rid of this car since she runs great and everything is still operational including the heated seats. With all the luxury features that this vehicle has it is no wonder the reviews are so favorable for this car."

Good Car

By on Sunday, December 30, 2007

"I've owned my RX300 for 7 years now. I am very happy with the vehicle. As much as I love the car, the transmission did fail at 99k miles. The repair cost was $4.5k...ouch. Other than that, the car has been very reliable. I bought the car with a navigation system back in 2001. For me, the navigation system is a life saver. It is funny to see the new "portable GPS" systems that folks rant and rave about. I'm like...that's nothing new to me :-)"

lexus rx300 suv- fantastic

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"I bought my rx300 used with lots of mileage on it already. My family mechanic said that the Lexus engine was built to last. So I bought the car from a retired senior with over 100k miles on it. Despite the wear on the interior leather, the SUV itself is a super value for a super car. I've put hard wear and tear, lots of mileage, towed my kids and all their big toys, used it for work for stop and go appointments and like the energizer bunny, it keeps running! I'm very happy with it."

Awesome car!!!

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Awesome car."

Cons: "Gas consumption."

"I have owned a 2000 Lexus RX300 for over 10 years, bought it used, and is a champ!!! Awesome car! Wish I could replace it with another one. This car keeps on going and holds up on value. Lexus are great cars. The only thing with my car now with 179,000 miles+ is high gas consumption. Its doing about 15 mpg in city which is to be expected because of high mileage, but still a great car."