• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2001 Lexus RX

Based on 394 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

great ride

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "keeps on going"

Cons: "little stuff costs a bit more to fix"

"200k and still running"

Will not die

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pros: "So dependable. Great in deep snow."

"I bought this as a winter vehicle 6 years ago. It always starts. In northern Minnesota with - 40 degree Temps that says a lot. No rusting. We really salt our roads. That said, I just spent my first dollar on a service bill. It was time for a timing belt change. I debated on buying a newer Lexus but decided I knew this car was incredible. $500 for belt and brakes will keep me driving this RX300 for two more years."

Love my car

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE"

Cons: "middle console, not enough room"

just turned 100,000 miles last month at 12 years of age

"this will be the last car I will ever own and I LOVE IT. I bought it used with 30,000 miles in 2005 still had FULL WARRANTY. LOVE IT!!"

just turned 100,000 miles last month at 12 years of age

best value

By on Friday, August 29, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, good cargo space"

"14 years of use with absolutely no problems, except At about 5 yrs. the ignition key bent, stuck in "park" and could not be removed. Car had to be loaded onto a wrecker and taken 100 miles to dealer. A great inconvenience."

I call this car my cream puff

By on Saturday, August 16, 2014

"wish it had better gas mileage. Have only had a electrical problem. Hoping to buy a new one with better gas mileage."

No problems even past 240,000 miles

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

"After 240,000 miles, I changed the transmission only because I thought it was acting up, even though the transmission shop said no. It turned out to be the spark plug coils! That's the biggest problem so far. There was additionally an electrical issue with the rear light. $600 solved that, at a dealer. The engine is still strong, even though I'm careless with maintenance. It's just been a rock solid car for 15 years. Better than my Land Cruiser even, although that was also mostly hassle free."

completely satisfied would purchase same car again

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Pros: "comfort ride, relibilty"

Cons: "gas milage"

"we like this car so much that I will have a hard time talking wife into trading."

Excelent value for 14 years

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Cons: "large truning radius"

"see above"

This is a beautiful well kept lexis

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Best for it year"

"My lexis is very well kept up, an the miles I have put on is freeway miles, new tires runs very well have never had a issue. But I don't drive much, It is really clean inside an out."

Excellent vehicle!

By on Sunday, July 06, 2014

"I bought this car used and have driven it for 11 years. It is a beautiful car! One of my favorite features is the premium stereo because the sound is just so Nice!! It has an extremely comfortable cabin. I have loved it so much and about 3 years ago started getting that itch for a new car. I looked at all the SUVs used and new and debated giving up a car I still really enjoyed. This year, I chose another Lexus! Once again for the reliability, beauty, and the fabulous drive."

Best car ever for our family

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

Cons: "Gas consumming. Only 15-16 miles / gallon"

"We own this car for 13 years with 259000 miles on it and still running great. We take so many roadtrip with this car. I wish Lexus still have the same model. The new RX look and feel so fleemsy."

very good condition

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Very reliable utility vehicle in affordable price."

Cons: "High milage"

"work done in less than 500 miles ago- Timing belt with water pump belt tensioner and pullys, cam and crank seals, drive belts. All four brakes with new rotors. Front struts,ball joints and sway bar link rod. California emission passable. Chrome wheels."

love it the best

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "handles well"

Cons: "expensive but worth it"

"I love it. I would buy another one. Reliable. Classy. Comfortable. Excellent in the snow. My only complaint is the wide turning radius when turning around. Over 140000 miles and still going strong!"

i love this vehicle

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "rides nicely"

Cons: "retains alot of interior dust"

"i would always remain in the lexus family, because I am treated with high standards and the vehicle has excellent maintenance to endure its performance"

Great at first but not for long term

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Great style and load capacity."

Cons: "Less than 123K miles, better have cash"

"I bought the 2002 Lexus 300 thinking that this premium car from Toyota would last 175K to 250K miles, if I took care of it. For 12 years, I have followed the Lexus guidelines for maintenance taking it to the Lexus dealer. I currently have 123,000 miles on it. I love the way it drives and style. It is also great to haul large loads. In the first years, the only problem I had was with the adhesive label/plastic on doors, fender and back of car. Being a "luxury car" it looked bad and I replaced 3 times at the cost of $800 each time. Then when the car turned 9 years old with only 90,000 miles the real cost began. Blue smoke came from my car. $1500, Oil pan Gasket replaced 2 times, Oil leaking replaced Valve cover and gasket $3200. Now the exhaust is not right and for an additional $2700. I thought I was buying a Toyota Luxury Car that would last. Now I am looking for a cheap car with the expectation of lasting 6 years."

Awesome car!!!

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Awesome car."

Cons: "Gas consumption."

"I have owned a 2000 Lexus RX300 for over 10 years, bought it used, and is a champ!!! Awesome car! Wish I could replace it with another one. This car keeps on going and holds up on value. Lexus are great cars. The only thing with my car now with 179,000 miles+ is high gas consumption. Its doing about 15 mpg in city which is to be expected because of high mileage, but still a great car."

So very disappointed in this car-all this at 99K!

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "Good on tires, great driving position, comfortable"

Cons: "too many ailments to name! Unreliable & expensive!"

"I bought this car a little before retirement, and thought it would last for years and years, as I always keep up all maintenance and have a habit of actually overdoing anything a car might need sometimes before recommended. Always kept in garage never outside. I did all the research before I bought this car and spent months looking for it. Was supposed to be trouble free according to everything I could find, as are other Lexus cars. I have been completely disappointed in this area. I bought the car when it had 15,000 miles on it at age 3 and now it is 14 years old and only has 99k on it, so I know the car's history. It has had to have several sensors at about $300 each. Just had the rear main seal replaced at $1300. Is leaking on the rear of valve cover gasket, had front differential leaks and rear differential leak, as well as has vibration due to (they tell me) leaking gel motor supports. Had problems with power window motor on drivers' side. The automatic door lock key came apart and the cost to replace was ungodly. Latest event: Leaking transmission fluid! Cost to repair will be $900 to 1500. Every time I get ready to go on vacation, it has a new ailment. People are brainwashed that these are great vehicles, but I would never recommend one to a friend, and I will never buy another one! The good thing that I can think of which was better than expected is that I put Michelin tires on it in 2004; they had 84,000 miles on them and were still as smooth as silk and still had tread, but I was afraid and replaced them, as it had been over ten years! I love the way this car rides and how comfortable it is on a trip; I have driven over ten hours at a time and arrived barely tired."

Rebuilt transmission at 140,000.

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "Good MN winter car. Good AWD."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage. Expensive transmission repair."

"Great in the snow. Smoothe on the road. Great heat and A/C. Wonderful sound system. Expensive transmission rebuild at 140,000 and I'm aware of 2 others with same problem. Comfortable interior. No problems with rust. 16 mpg city, 21 mpg hiway. Most difficult vehicle I've ever changed oil on. Use Moble One. Does not use a drop of oil between changes. Very wide turning radius. Quiet, smoothe engine. Bought in 2009 with 97,000 miles."

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, fun to drive, looks great"

"Still driving this car after 15 years! I still love my car. I don't want to give it up. Dependable, fun to drive and still looks great too!"

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, fun to drive, looks great"

Just ok

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "smooth drivetrain, ride. comfortable seats."

Cons: "poor gas mileage, poor interior ergonomics"

"RX300 AWD. Purch 12/2011 w/ 110.6K miles. Now 4/2014 with 157.7K miles. The car was pretty clean when we bought it. Putting about 20K per year on the car. First 2 years - no problems except O2 sensor #1 had to be replaced. Pros-silky smooth engine/trans, very smooth ride, perfect steering wheel, comfortable seats for long drives. Have driven it on many long distance trips (Raleigh-Chicago, Raleigh-SanAntonio, Dallas-Raliegh, Dallas-Chicago) Runs like a swiss watch. Cons-lots of wind noise around A pillars, does not like cross-winds, terrible ergonomics on radio and climate controls - the buttons and knobs are identical for both. Info screen washes out on sunny days-can't read it. No compass, no steering wheel controls for radio or cruise control. Disappointing gas mileage - 17 around town; never more than 20.5 pure highway. Short gearing is probably the biggest contributor to poor MPG-abt 2950 at 70MPH, and side mirrors the size of small flat screen TVs. Very expensive to repair. $1200 for timing belt/water pump. (timing belt on a $40K vehicle is unacceptable, Lexus/Toyota!) Needed knock sensor, valve cover gaskets-$2200. Two catalytic converters-$900. The little V6 is low and jammed against firewall; very labor intensive to work on the engine. With recent repair costs over past 4 months, not sure I'd buy another one."

Just ok

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "smooth drivetrain, ride. comfortable seats."

Cons: "poor gas mileage, poor interior ergonomics"

Most reliable and trouble free car ever!

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"This car is now 14 years old. It has never had a major problem. It has never failed to start, all of the systems still work at 100%. It has the same feel and power as it did when I first got it. The styling is such, that even though it may not look like a brand-new model, it looks like a newer car. I will keep it as long as possible. My fear is that if something happens, that it is totaled or stolen, I won't get its real value. It's worth a brand-new car. I have 120,000 miles on it. The dealer says I should expect 200,000 at the minimum. It doesn't burn a drop of oil, and the air-conditioning still will freeze you out. I have heard that this is considered the best SUV model Lexus has made. I cannot imagine a more reliable sturdy car."

Stay Away if you can't help it.

By on Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Pros: "Handling, Interior design, fancy, good price."

Cons: "Transmission, gas, transfer case"

"I have owned this car for 2 years now and I love the interior, the handling, and enjoyed it for sometime. If you do not know this car is KNOWN by many to have transmission failures even with regular maintenance. Some report transmission problem before hitting 100k miles. I had it fixed and again it will need fixing. Gas is not that good but not horrible. Around 19MPH if you driving on freeway alot."

Went to Atlanta car show...new RX 350 is $45G plus

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Quality and minimal upkeep costs."

Cons: "Wish I had bought two in 1999."

"My 15 yr old RX 300 runs like a champ..only wish would be better turning radius, but overall is a most reliable and excellent transportation. Toyota's first RX was a gem."