2001 Lexus RX

Based on 409 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

Best I've owned

By on Friday, March 21, 2008

"I bought this vehicle brand new and with minimal maintenance in 6 years and now at 103K miles I've never had a car perform this well. Passengers often comment about the smooth ride. It drives like a car, not a truck and I can easily get in and out with my professional skirt suits. I've been a Honda, Ford and Chrysler owner. This has been even better than my Hondas. People often offer to buy it and I'M NOT SELLING!"

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"I bought a 2001 RX300 in October of 2003 and have had this car almost 5 years. I love it overall but after reading a couple reviews I've noticed some similarities. I too had a transmission problem with the RX right before my 100,000 warranty was up. After talking with others and reading reviews, I have found this is a common problem with the RX. Even the mechanic at the dealership agreed. Unfortuantely for me, I took my car in 3 times before 100K to report the transmission problem and conveniently Lexus could not find it. At 102K they agreed it was a transmission problem. After fighting with them they did offer to replace it but I had to pay $500. I have a new transmission and my car drives great with 143K miles on it. For sure get an extended warranty on the RX!!! Overall though, I love it! it's sporty, stylish, and it's been good to me. I can't complain otherwise!!"

reliable,comfortable awd suv

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "reliability,quality,awd-excellent traction"

Cons: "premium gas ,typical suv-poor gas mileage"

"bought as 3 year old with only 32,000 miles-like new.now 14 years old with 168,000.well maintained-oil changed every 5k,trans fluid every 30k.no engine nor trans problem. basically no major work.only tires,brakes,rotors and couple oxygen sensors & ignition coil.have noticed last year slight engine oil leak-add maybe half quart a month.Body,paint interior leather good condition-driver seat rip fixed couple years ago.Only real complaint is car runs better on premium gas and gas mileage 17-24 mpg."

Most reliable and trouble free car ever!

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"This car is now 14 years old. It has never had a major problem. It has never failed to start, all of the systems still work at 100%. It has the same feel and power as it did when I first got it. The styling is such, that even though it may not look like a brand-new model, it looks like a newer car. I will keep it as long as possible. My fear is that if something happens, that it is totaled or stolen, I won't get its real value. It's worth a brand-new car. I have 120,000 miles on it. The dealer says I should expect 200,000 at the minimum. It doesn't burn a drop of oil, and the air-conditioning still will freeze you out. I have heard that this is considered the best SUV model Lexus has made. I cannot imagine a more reliable sturdy car."

Best car on the road, as far as I'm concerned

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "I love my navigation system, it drives great still"

Cons: "It won't wear out and I want a new car."

"Well, I want to get rid of this car because I want a new car, but I just can't justify it even yet. There's nothing wrong with it! I've driven it everywhere, on the road and in town. Nearly 300000 miles now, and it is quiet, the drive is great, the gas mileage is OK... as advertised. I bought it used with about a thousand miles on it back in 2001. A few small small problems, like the power locks. This year the front defroster on the inside of the dash went out. I still have the original engine, and have had such minimal repairs that I can't even remember them. I just have a great mechanic that checks it over now and then, and do routine maintenance and oil changes. Someone even asked me this year if I just got a new car! The cassette tape deck quit functioning long ago :) What can I say but NO PROBLEMS except for very minor ones."