2000 Lexus RX

Based on 409 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

best vehicle, owned many other makes and models.

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cons: "turning radius not the best."

"It is the most reliable car for the 10 years I owned it. I love the ease of driving and solid feel on the road."

Great Vehicle

By on Thursday, July 23, 2009

"I bought my RX300 about 5 years ago, it turns 10 this November. It had 55k miles on it when i bought it, now it has 85k. When I bought it the brakes were pretty bad, they lasted for another 5 years though. The starter solenoid went out 2 years in and cost me $400 at an import repair shop. No more problems until recently. The air conditioning/alternator belt broke, this wasn't a shock though. I used this repair opportunity to get the brakes repaired. I find out that the car needs new shocks for the rear, the timing belt only has about 5000 miles left, and the transmission needs to be 'checked'. I was very disappointed, so I called a friend of friend who was the previous owner of the car and asked if they had any problems. All they said was that they did use the optional tow hitch quite frequently to tow their 3500 LB boat which I believe is the max for this car. They said they didn't adjust the differentials or shocks to be suitable for towing. So my problem was found, they ran the car into the ground with their extensive towing. The car still runs fine, has great off-the-line acceleration, responsive transmission, and excellent accident avoidance. The interior is the most luxurious of any car I've ever had, and i used to have a Mercedes. The exterior is timeless and its a very roomy SUV despite its appearance. Ill get around to fixing the current problems, but I am certainly satisfied with the vehicle, the only weird thing was the starter, and after all my 98' Mercedes SUV was a terrible lemon that ended up in a junk yard."

So sad to outgrow it!!!!

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"I LOVE MY RX300!!!!!!!!!1 I have an '00, which I purchased used in '04, and it seemed like new. It is the first luxury vehicle I've owned, and I'm sad to say that our growing family needs more space. I'm one of those Moms that will NEVER own a minivan, and this vehicle has well suited our family's needs for the past 4 years. We live in Maine with LOTS of snow, and this vehicle handles amazingly in the snow! We can climb any incline with the SNOW traction setting, and it's so nice to feel so safe and secure even in the slipperiest road conditions. When other cars avoid the road like the plague, we're out for a Sunday drive in our RX! It's as smooth as a sedan, unbelievably quiet. It corners well, looks great, and is extremely comfortable & stylish. You can't go wrong with this vehicle!"

Best Quality!

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"I purchased my 99 model RX300 new in Aug, 1998. It now got 116K miles. It still runs like new. The engine is smooth and quiet. I drove it to move from Houston to Chicago and back. It had enough room to take all my stuff and another passenger. I haven't had any problem with it except for regular maintenance. I did have to change the rear door lock swtich (it wouldn't lock). This car is also very safe. I was hit in the rear by a Durango on the freeway. The Durango's front end was totally gone with fluid leaking everywhere. My lexus had no frame demage, only had to replace the rear door, the lock was stuck after the impact; and the bumper. Lexus did a great job on the repair. For the last two years, I have been sending my car to a Toyota Dealer for service. It saves me a lot of $$. Especially at the 90K timing belt replacement. I believe that it's about time for the valve cover gasket replacement, I see a little oil leak. But no big deal, I will do it on the next oil change. I'm keeping this car for a long time more. I strongly recommend this car. *The lady who had problem with oil gel in engine, Toyota sent out a warranty letter stating that they will cover all repair. You should check with Lexus.*"

Great at first but not for long term

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Great style and load capacity."

Cons: "Less than 123K miles, better have cash"

"I bought the 2002 Lexus 300 thinking that this premium car from Toyota would last 175K to 250K miles, if I took care of it. For 12 years, I have followed the Lexus guidelines for maintenance taking it to the Lexus dealer. I currently have 123,000 miles on it. I love the way it drives and style. It is also great to haul large loads. In the first years, the only problem I had was with the adhesive label/plastic on doors, fender and back of car. Being a "luxury car" it looked bad and I replaced 3 times at the cost of $800 each time. Then when the car turned 9 years old with only 90,000 miles the real cost began. Blue smoke came from my car. $1500, Oil pan Gasket replaced 2 times, Oil leaking replaced Valve cover and gasket $3200. Now the exhaust is not right and for an additional $2700. I thought I was buying a Toyota Luxury Car that would last. Now I am looking for a cheap car with the expectation of lasting 6 years."