2000 Lexus RX

Based on 409 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

best vehicle, owned many other makes and models.

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cons: "turning radius not the best."

"It is the most reliable car for the 10 years I owned it. I love the ease of driving and solid feel on the road."

Great Vehicle

By on Thursday, July 23, 2009

"I bought my RX300 about 5 years ago, it turns 10 this November. It had 55k miles on it when i bought it, now it has 85k. When I bought it the brakes were pretty bad, they lasted for another 5 years though. The starter solenoid went out 2 years in and cost me $400 at an import repair shop. No more problems until recently. The air conditioning/alternator belt broke, this wasn't a shock though. I used this repair opportunity to get the brakes repaired. I find out that the car needs new shocks for the rear, the timing belt only has about 5000 miles left, and the transmission needs to be 'checked'. I was very disappointed, so I called a friend of friend who was the previous owner of the car and asked if they had any problems. All they said was that they did use the optional tow hitch quite frequently to tow their 3500 LB boat which I believe is the max for this car. They said they didn't adjust the differentials or shocks to be suitable for towing. So my problem was found, they ran the car into the ground with their extensive towing. The car still runs fine, has great off-the-line acceleration, responsive transmission, and excellent accident avoidance. The interior is the most luxurious of any car I've ever had, and i used to have a Mercedes. The exterior is timeless and its a very roomy SUV despite its appearance. Ill get around to fixing the current problems, but I am certainly satisfied with the vehicle, the only weird thing was the starter, and after all my 98' Mercedes SUV was a terrible lemon that ended up in a junk yard."

So sad to outgrow it!!!!

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"I LOVE MY RX300!!!!!!!!!1 I have an '00, which I purchased used in '04, and it seemed like new. It is the first luxury vehicle I've owned, and I'm sad to say that our growing family needs more space. I'm one of those Moms that will NEVER own a minivan, and this vehicle has well suited our family's needs for the past 4 years. We live in Maine with LOTS of snow, and this vehicle handles amazingly in the snow! We can climb any incline with the SNOW traction setting, and it's so nice to feel so safe and secure even in the slipperiest road conditions. When other cars avoid the road like the plague, we're out for a Sunday drive in our RX! It's as smooth as a sedan, unbelievably quiet. It corners well, looks great, and is extremely comfortable & stylish. You can't go wrong with this vehicle!"

Best Quality!

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"I purchased my 99 model RX300 new in Aug, 1998. It now got 116K miles. It still runs like new. The engine is smooth and quiet. I drove it to move from Houston to Chicago and back. It had enough room to take all my stuff and another passenger. I haven't had any problem with it except for regular maintenance. I did have to change the rear door lock swtich (it wouldn't lock). This car is also very safe. I was hit in the rear by a Durango on the freeway. The Durango's front end was totally gone with fluid leaking everywhere. My lexus had no frame demage, only had to replace the rear door, the lock was stuck after the impact; and the bumper. Lexus did a great job on the repair. For the last two years, I have been sending my car to a Toyota Dealer for service. It saves me a lot of $$. Especially at the 90K timing belt replacement. I believe that it's about time for the valve cover gasket replacement, I see a little oil leak. But no big deal, I will do it on the next oil change. I'm keeping this car for a long time more. I strongly recommend this car. *The lady who had problem with oil gel in engine, Toyota sent out a warranty letter stating that they will cover all repair. You should check with Lexus.*"

Great at first but not for long term

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Great style and load capacity."

Cons: "Less than 123K miles, better have cash"

"I bought the 2002 Lexus 300 thinking that this premium car from Toyota would last 175K to 250K miles, if I took care of it. For 12 years, I have followed the Lexus guidelines for maintenance taking it to the Lexus dealer. I currently have 123,000 miles on it. I love the way it drives and style. It is also great to haul large loads. In the first years, the only problem I had was with the adhesive label/plastic on doors, fender and back of car. Being a "luxury car" it looked bad and I replaced 3 times at the cost of $800 each time. Then when the car turned 9 years old with only 90,000 miles the real cost began. Blue smoke came from my car. $1500, Oil pan Gasket replaced 2 times, Oil leaking replaced Valve cover and gasket $3200. Now the exhaust is not right and for an additional $2700. I thought I was buying a Toyota Luxury Car that would last. Now I am looking for a cheap car with the expectation of lasting 6 years."

Just ok

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "smooth drivetrain, ride. comfortable seats."

Cons: "poor gas mileage, poor interior ergonomics"

"RX300 AWD. Purch 12/2011 w/ 110.6K miles. Now 4/2014 with 157.7K miles. The car was pretty clean when we bought it. Putting about 20K per year on the car. First 2 years - no problems except O2 sensor #1 had to be replaced. Pros-silky smooth engine/trans, very smooth ride, perfect steering wheel, comfortable seats for long drives. Have driven it on many long distance trips (Raleigh-Chicago, Raleigh-SanAntonio, Dallas-Raliegh, Dallas-Chicago) Runs like a swiss watch. Cons-lots of wind noise around A pillars, does not like cross-winds, terrible ergonomics on radio and climate controls - the buttons and knobs are identical for both. Info screen washes out on sunny days-can't read it. No compass, no steering wheel controls for radio or cruise control. Disappointing gas mileage - 17 around town; never more than 20.5 pure highway. Short gearing is probably the biggest contributor to poor MPG-abt 2950 at 70MPH, and side mirrors the size of small flat screen TVs. Very expensive to repair. $1200 for timing belt/water pump. (timing belt on a $40K vehicle is unacceptable, Lexus/Toyota!) Needed knock sensor, valve cover gaskets-$2200. Two catalytic converters-$900. The little V6 is low and jammed against firewall; very labor intensive to work on the engine. With recent repair costs over past 4 months, not sure I'd buy another one."

Best vehicle ever owned

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "Luxury options are still operational & looks great"

Cons: "Small gas tank"

"I call my 2000 RX 300 my baby and for 13 years she has been a dream to drive and is still in excellent condition inside and out. I just had to replace brakes and the water pump but I was willing to spend the money since this was really the only expense I have had to do in the 13 years that I owned this car, with the exception of batteries and tires. I have no desire to ever get rid of this car since she runs great and everything is still operational including the heated seats. With all the luxury features that this vehicle has it is no wonder the reviews are so favorable for this car."

THE BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED. period.

By on Thursday, September 01, 2011

Pros: "Reliable. Comfortable. Great view from drivers seat. Rock star in the snow."

Cons: "Turning radius is wide."

"I bought my 1999 RX 300 in 2006 with 110,000 miles on it. I really wanted this car but I HATE paying a lot for a vehicle. I knew from reviews and the fact that it was a Lexus/Toyota it would be fine with higher miles and I was comfortable buying a car with higher miles. Fast forward to 2011. I still have this car, it now has 155k on it. I've driven everywhere. I do not hesitate to take this car on a road trip in an instant. I just put new tires on it about 2 years ago, it is a rock star in the snow. It is SO comfortable for someone short (5 foot 2 inches) for me to drive. I love this car, it's my baby. I'm now without a car payment and while most people would trade up I'm keeping her for as long as she lasts. This car fits me like a well worn favorite leather chair. Seriously! Previous cars owned: honda civics, honda prelude, lexus SC300, toyota 4runner, lexus es300 and chrysler minivan."

Good Car

By on Sunday, December 30, 2007

"I've owned my RX300 for 7 years now. I am very happy with the vehicle. As much as I love the car, the transmission did fail at 99k miles. The repair cost was $4.5k...ouch. Other than that, the car has been very reliable. I bought the car with a navigation system back in 2001. For me, the navigation system is a life saver. It is funny to see the new "portable GPS" systems that folks rant and rave about. I'm like...that's nothing new to me :-)"

lexus rx300 suv- fantastic

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"I bought my rx300 used with lots of mileage on it already. My family mechanic said that the Lexus engine was built to last. So I bought the car from a retired senior with over 100k miles on it. Despite the wear on the interior leather, the SUV itself is a super value for a super car. I've put hard wear and tear, lots of mileage, towed my kids and all their big toys, used it for work for stop and go appointments and like the energizer bunny, it keeps running! I'm very happy with it."