2000 Lexus RX

Based on 410 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

reliable,comfortable awd suv

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "reliability,quality,awd-excellent traction"

Cons: "premium gas ,typical suv-poor gas mileage"

"bought as 3 year old with only 32,000 miles-like new.now 14 years old with 168,000.well maintained-oil changed every 5k,trans fluid every 30k.no engine nor trans problem. basically no major work.only tires,brakes,rotors and couple oxygen sensors & ignition coil.have noticed last year slight engine oil leak-add maybe half quart a month.Body,paint interior leather good condition-driver seat rip fixed couple years ago.Only real complaint is car runs better on premium gas and gas mileage 17-24 mpg."

Most reliable and trouble free car ever!

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"This car is now 14 years old. It has never had a major problem. It has never failed to start, all of the systems still work at 100%. It has the same feel and power as it did when I first got it. The styling is such, that even though it may not look like a brand-new model, it looks like a newer car. I will keep it as long as possible. My fear is that if something happens, that it is totaled or stolen, I won't get its real value. It's worth a brand-new car. I have 120,000 miles on it. The dealer says I should expect 200,000 at the minimum. It doesn't burn a drop of oil, and the air-conditioning still will freeze you out. I have heard that this is considered the best SUV model Lexus has made. I cannot imagine a more reliable sturdy car."

Best car on the road, as far as I'm concerned

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "I love my navigation system, it drives great still"

Cons: "It won't wear out and I want a new car."

"Well, I want to get rid of this car because I want a new car, but I just can't justify it even yet. There's nothing wrong with it! I've driven it everywhere, on the road and in town. Nearly 300000 miles now, and it is quiet, the drive is great, the gas mileage is OK... as advertised. I bought it used with about a thousand miles on it back in 2001. A few small small problems, like the power locks. This year the front defroster on the inside of the dash went out. I still have the original engine, and have had such minimal repairs that I can't even remember them. I just have a great mechanic that checks it over now and then, and do routine maintenance and oil changes. Someone even asked me this year if I just got a new car! The cassette tape deck quit functioning long ago :) What can I say but NO PROBLEMS except for very minor ones."

best vehicle, owned many other makes and models.

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cons: "turning radius not the best."

"It is the most reliable car for the 10 years I owned it. I love the ease of driving and solid feel on the road."

Great Vehicle

By on Thursday, July 23, 2009

"I bought my RX300 about 5 years ago, it turns 10 this November. It had 55k miles on it when i bought it, now it has 85k. When I bought it the brakes were pretty bad, they lasted for another 5 years though. The starter solenoid went out 2 years in and cost me $400 at an import repair shop. No more problems until recently. The air conditioning/alternator belt broke, this wasn't a shock though. I used this repair opportunity to get the brakes repaired. I find out that the car needs new shocks for the rear, the timing belt only has about 5000 miles left, and the transmission needs to be 'checked'. I was very disappointed, so I called a friend of friend who was the previous owner of the car and asked if they had any problems. All they said was that they did use the optional tow hitch quite frequently to tow their 3500 LB boat which I believe is the max for this car. They said they didn't adjust the differentials or shocks to be suitable for towing. So my problem was found, they ran the car into the ground with their extensive towing. The car still runs fine, has great off-the-line acceleration, responsive transmission, and excellent accident avoidance. The interior is the most luxurious of any car I've ever had, and i used to have a Mercedes. The exterior is timeless and its a very roomy SUV despite its appearance. Ill get around to fixing the current problems, but I am certainly satisfied with the vehicle, the only weird thing was the starter, and after all my 98' Mercedes SUV was a terrible lemon that ended up in a junk yard."