2000 Lexus RX

Based on 410 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

A wonderful luxurious but tough SUV

By on Thursday, January 31, 2008

"I've had my 2001 RX300 for a few years now, I bought it used, and it has been wonderful. The gas mileage is great for an SUV, when properly tuned up I get 23 city, 26 hwy, and that's not exaggerating. If I don't keep it tuned up, I get about 21 city, and 23-24 hwy, still great for an SUV. I chose this SUV over newer SUVs in the same price range (used but newer Honda Pilot, Honda Element, Jeep Cherokee, Liberty, Yukon, Tahoe etc.) because its gas mileage was better, and mostly because of the superior way it handled the road and the unsurpassable comfort, not just of the drive, but also of the cabin. I am a tall person, and was surprised how small some of the other SUVs were as far as leg and head room. This one is not. I can kick back and drive comfortably. I can sit up straight and not feel the ceiling right over me. I can even sit in the back seat very comfortably - a new experience for me!! There is also plenty of room to lug stuff around; the back seat folds down FLAT, which is great, and this car has helped us with many a landscaping project, and with moving. Even though the car has mileage in the mid 80,000s, it's still running like a champ. There have been a few repairs (some minor ac issues and replaced motor mount) but overall I've been very happy. Repairs are expensive, so get an extended warranty. When this one kicks the bucket, I fully intend to get another. It is a solid piece of machinery. The drive is smooth, powerful and quiet. I love the v-6 in it. It's a surprisingly fast car, for an SUV! The interior features are classy and classic. Wood trim, high quality leather seats, leather trim on doors, adjustable separate air vent for back seat, and the driver's seat has SO many controls to adjust it, you can truly personalize it to your body. The quality of the interior was second to none compared to the other vehicles I test drove in this price range. The exterior is very classy and sporty, and does well to hide the car's age. I've also driven the newer rx's and can't stand them. They traded leg room and comfort for a minor improvement in gas mileage. It's not the same solid car, and it's a shame. I consider this vehicle a great value. Make sure you get the extended warranty, though, just in case something ever did go wrong. Even though I haven't had any major problems, the 'luxury' car repair prices could be steep if something went wrong."

2000 Lexus RX

By on Sunday, August 05, 2007

"I have owned at least 2 dozen cars over the years. The Lexus RX is by far the best car I have ever owned. We have 178K on it and it has never had a problem. I would recommend Lexus to everyone. They make a fantastic car that lasts. What more can you ask for?"

Best Purchase for Vehicle I've Ever Made

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Smooth ride, elegant look, picks up really fasts"

Cons: "Model wasn't equipped with GPS"

"I purchased my car from a Lexus delalership in 2001 as a Previously Owned Vehicle (a year old). I've had no mechanical issues, engine has held up, no really expensive repair costs. I'm finally letting it go after owning the car for 11 years (she's 12 yrs old now with over 220K miles). I did my regular maintenance at dealership as scheduled until I moved, then found a realiable mechanic. After all of these years, my transmission might be going soon. Overall a great vehicle!! Extremely smooth ride. Excellent paint job and solid materials used on car. Outside still looks brand new...I get compliments from the auto shops when I take it in for an oil change about the beauty of the exterior after all of these years. No rust, no chipped paint. I still love my car!!"

Best I've owned

By on Friday, March 21, 2008

"I bought this vehicle brand new and with minimal maintenance in 6 years and now at 103K miles I've never had a car perform this well. Passengers often comment about the smooth ride. It drives like a car, not a truck and I can easily get in and out with my professional skirt suits. I've been a Honda, Ford and Chrysler owner. This has been even better than my Hondas. People often offer to buy it and I'M NOT SELLING!"

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"I bought a 2001 RX300 in October of 2003 and have had this car almost 5 years. I love it overall but after reading a couple reviews I've noticed some similarities. I too had a transmission problem with the RX right before my 100,000 warranty was up. After talking with others and reading reviews, I have found this is a common problem with the RX. Even the mechanic at the dealership agreed. Unfortuantely for me, I took my car in 3 times before 100K to report the transmission problem and conveniently Lexus could not find it. At 102K they agreed it was a transmission problem. After fighting with them they did offer to replace it but I had to pay $500. I have a new transmission and my car drives great with 143K miles on it. For sure get an extended warranty on the RX!!! Overall though, I love it! it's sporty, stylish, and it's been good to me. I can't complain otherwise!!"

reliable,comfortable awd suv

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "reliability,quality,awd-excellent traction"

Cons: "premium gas ,typical suv-poor gas mileage"

"bought as 3 year old with only 32,000 miles-like new.now 14 years old with 168,000.well maintained-oil changed every 5k,trans fluid every 30k.no engine nor trans problem. basically no major work.only tires,brakes,rotors and couple oxygen sensors & ignition coil.have noticed last year slight engine oil leak-add maybe half quart a month.Body,paint interior leather good condition-driver seat rip fixed couple years ago.Only real complaint is car runs better on premium gas and gas mileage 17-24 mpg."

Most reliable and trouble free car ever!

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"This car is now 14 years old. It has never had a major problem. It has never failed to start, all of the systems still work at 100%. It has the same feel and power as it did when I first got it. The styling is such, that even though it may not look like a brand-new model, it looks like a newer car. I will keep it as long as possible. My fear is that if something happens, that it is totaled or stolen, I won't get its real value. It's worth a brand-new car. I have 120,000 miles on it. The dealer says I should expect 200,000 at the minimum. It doesn't burn a drop of oil, and the air-conditioning still will freeze you out. I have heard that this is considered the best SUV model Lexus has made. I cannot imagine a more reliable sturdy car."

Best car on the road, as far as I'm concerned

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "I love my navigation system, it drives great still"

Cons: "It won't wear out and I want a new car."

"Well, I want to get rid of this car because I want a new car, but I just can't justify it even yet. There's nothing wrong with it! I've driven it everywhere, on the road and in town. Nearly 300000 miles now, and it is quiet, the drive is great, the gas mileage is OK... as advertised. I bought it used with about a thousand miles on it back in 2001. A few small small problems, like the power locks. This year the front defroster on the inside of the dash went out. I still have the original engine, and have had such minimal repairs that I can't even remember them. I just have a great mechanic that checks it over now and then, and do routine maintenance and oil changes. Someone even asked me this year if I just got a new car! The cassette tape deck quit functioning long ago :) What can I say but NO PROBLEMS except for very minor ones."

best vehicle, owned many other makes and models.

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cons: "turning radius not the best."

"It is the most reliable car for the 10 years I owned it. I love the ease of driving and solid feel on the road."

Great Vehicle

By on Thursday, July 23, 2009

"I bought my RX300 about 5 years ago, it turns 10 this November. It had 55k miles on it when i bought it, now it has 85k. When I bought it the brakes were pretty bad, they lasted for another 5 years though. The starter solenoid went out 2 years in and cost me $400 at an import repair shop. No more problems until recently. The air conditioning/alternator belt broke, this wasn't a shock though. I used this repair opportunity to get the brakes repaired. I find out that the car needs new shocks for the rear, the timing belt only has about 5000 miles left, and the transmission needs to be 'checked'. I was very disappointed, so I called a friend of friend who was the previous owner of the car and asked if they had any problems. All they said was that they did use the optional tow hitch quite frequently to tow their 3500 LB boat which I believe is the max for this car. They said they didn't adjust the differentials or shocks to be suitable for towing. So my problem was found, they ran the car into the ground with their extensive towing. The car still runs fine, has great off-the-line acceleration, responsive transmission, and excellent accident avoidance. The interior is the most luxurious of any car I've ever had, and i used to have a Mercedes. The exterior is timeless and its a very roomy SUV despite its appearance. Ill get around to fixing the current problems, but I am certainly satisfied with the vehicle, the only weird thing was the starter, and after all my 98' Mercedes SUV was a terrible lemon that ended up in a junk yard."

So sad to outgrow it!!!!

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"I LOVE MY RX300!!!!!!!!!1 I have an '00, which I purchased used in '04, and it seemed like new. It is the first luxury vehicle I've owned, and I'm sad to say that our growing family needs more space. I'm one of those Moms that will NEVER own a minivan, and this vehicle has well suited our family's needs for the past 4 years. We live in Maine with LOTS of snow, and this vehicle handles amazingly in the snow! We can climb any incline with the SNOW traction setting, and it's so nice to feel so safe and secure even in the slipperiest road conditions. When other cars avoid the road like the plague, we're out for a Sunday drive in our RX! It's as smooth as a sedan, unbelievably quiet. It corners well, looks great, and is extremely comfortable & stylish. You can't go wrong with this vehicle!"

Best Quality!

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"I purchased my 99 model RX300 new in Aug, 1998. It now got 116K miles. It still runs like new. The engine is smooth and quiet. I drove it to move from Houston to Chicago and back. It had enough room to take all my stuff and another passenger. I haven't had any problem with it except for regular maintenance. I did have to change the rear door lock swtich (it wouldn't lock). This car is also very safe. I was hit in the rear by a Durango on the freeway. The Durango's front end was totally gone with fluid leaking everywhere. My lexus had no frame demage, only had to replace the rear door, the lock was stuck after the impact; and the bumper. Lexus did a great job on the repair. For the last two years, I have been sending my car to a Toyota Dealer for service. It saves me a lot of $$. Especially at the 90K timing belt replacement. I believe that it's about time for the valve cover gasket replacement, I see a little oil leak. But no big deal, I will do it on the next oil change. I'm keeping this car for a long time more. I strongly recommend this car. *The lady who had problem with oil gel in engine, Toyota sent out a warranty letter stating that they will cover all repair. You should check with Lexus.*"

Great at first but not for long term

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Great style and load capacity."

Cons: "Less than 123K miles, better have cash"

"I bought the 2002 Lexus 300 thinking that this premium car from Toyota would last 175K to 250K miles, if I took care of it. For 12 years, I have followed the Lexus guidelines for maintenance taking it to the Lexus dealer. I currently have 123,000 miles on it. I love the way it drives and style. It is also great to haul large loads. In the first years, the only problem I had was with the adhesive label/plastic on doors, fender and back of car. Being a "luxury car" it looked bad and I replaced 3 times at the cost of $800 each time. Then when the car turned 9 years old with only 90,000 miles the real cost began. Blue smoke came from my car. $1500, Oil pan Gasket replaced 2 times, Oil leaking replaced Valve cover and gasket $3200. Now the exhaust is not right and for an additional $2700. I thought I was buying a Toyota Luxury Car that would last. Now I am looking for a cheap car with the expectation of lasting 6 years."

Just ok

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "smooth drivetrain, ride. comfortable seats."

Cons: "poor gas mileage, poor interior ergonomics"

"RX300 AWD. Purch 12/2011 w/ 110.6K miles. Now 4/2014 with 157.7K miles. The car was pretty clean when we bought it. Putting about 20K per year on the car. First 2 years - no problems except O2 sensor #1 had to be replaced. Pros-silky smooth engine/trans, very smooth ride, perfect steering wheel, comfortable seats for long drives. Have driven it on many long distance trips (Raleigh-Chicago, Raleigh-SanAntonio, Dallas-Raliegh, Dallas-Chicago) Runs like a swiss watch. Cons-lots of wind noise around A pillars, does not like cross-winds, terrible ergonomics on radio and climate controls - the buttons and knobs are identical for both. Info screen washes out on sunny days-can't read it. No compass, no steering wheel controls for radio or cruise control. Disappointing gas mileage - 17 around town; never more than 20.5 pure highway. Short gearing is probably the biggest contributor to poor MPG-abt 2950 at 70MPH, and side mirrors the size of small flat screen TVs. Very expensive to repair. $1200 for timing belt/water pump. (timing belt on a $40K vehicle is unacceptable, Lexus/Toyota!) Needed knock sensor, valve cover gaskets-$2200. Two catalytic converters-$900. The little V6 is low and jammed against firewall; very labor intensive to work on the engine. With recent repair costs over past 4 months, not sure I'd buy another one."

Best vehicle ever owned

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "Luxury options are still operational & looks great"

Cons: "Small gas tank"

"I call my 2000 RX 300 my baby and for 13 years she has been a dream to drive and is still in excellent condition inside and out. I just had to replace brakes and the water pump but I was willing to spend the money since this was really the only expense I have had to do in the 13 years that I owned this car, with the exception of batteries and tires. I have no desire to ever get rid of this car since she runs great and everything is still operational including the heated seats. With all the luxury features that this vehicle has it is no wonder the reviews are so favorable for this car."

THE BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED. period.

By on Thursday, September 01, 2011

Pros: "Reliable. Comfortable. Great view from drivers seat. Rock star in the snow."

Cons: "Turning radius is wide."

"I bought my 1999 RX 300 in 2006 with 110,000 miles on it. I really wanted this car but I HATE paying a lot for a vehicle. I knew from reviews and the fact that it was a Lexus/Toyota it would be fine with higher miles and I was comfortable buying a car with higher miles. Fast forward to 2011. I still have this car, it now has 155k on it. I've driven everywhere. I do not hesitate to take this car on a road trip in an instant. I just put new tires on it about 2 years ago, it is a rock star in the snow. It is SO comfortable for someone short (5 foot 2 inches) for me to drive. I love this car, it's my baby. I'm now without a car payment and while most people would trade up I'm keeping her for as long as she lasts. This car fits me like a well worn favorite leather chair. Seriously! Previous cars owned: honda civics, honda prelude, lexus SC300, toyota 4runner, lexus es300 and chrysler minivan."

Good Car

By on Sunday, December 30, 2007

"I've owned my RX300 for 7 years now. I am very happy with the vehicle. As much as I love the car, the transmission did fail at 99k miles. The repair cost was $4.5k...ouch. Other than that, the car has been very reliable. I bought the car with a navigation system back in 2001. For me, the navigation system is a life saver. It is funny to see the new "portable GPS" systems that folks rant and rave about. I'm like...that's nothing new to me :-)"

lexus rx300 suv- fantastic

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"I bought my rx300 used with lots of mileage on it already. My family mechanic said that the Lexus engine was built to last. So I bought the car from a retired senior with over 100k miles on it. Despite the wear on the interior leather, the SUV itself is a super value for a super car. I've put hard wear and tear, lots of mileage, towed my kids and all their big toys, used it for work for stop and go appointments and like the energizer bunny, it keeps running! I'm very happy with it."

Awesome car!!!

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Awesome car."

Cons: "Gas consumption."

"I have owned a 2000 Lexus RX300 for over 10 years, bought it used, and is a champ!!! Awesome car! Wish I could replace it with another one. This car keeps on going and holds up on value. Lexus are great cars. The only thing with my car now with 179,000 miles+ is high gas consumption. Its doing about 15 mpg in city which is to be expected because of high mileage, but still a great car."

Reliability should be a 20...Excellent Vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"Seriously, I have only had this car in the shop for regular maintenance. Giving to my daughter and her family after 11 years of driving."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

"I bought this Lexus used in 2003 with 30,000 miles on it. It still runs great and although is 12 years old, I really can't justify selling it. Would definately buy another Lexus if I could afford one. Quality car who's value lasts."

Best car I've ever had

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pros: "Smooth quiet ride, reliable"

Cons: "Cup holders could be deeper to prevent tipping"

"100,000 miles and never any problems. Still looks and even smells new inside. The ride is better than my friends new cars (other brands). I love this car and hope to get 200,000 miles on it."

All This and great milage too?!

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Consider my self a Car Guy, and this is the best in 50 yrs! All that you see and feel + 20m/g around town and 24-26 on the hwy... on REGULAR!!! Surprised how great the Nav System is in town when you're back-up and need to know if a side street will go thru. I'd buy a 330 or 350 but no reason to changed with just 80K miles and the ability to use any gas! From an MG-A to a Mustang Cobra and 3 BMWs along the way, the Rx300 is the best overall vehicle I've owned!"

Good ride

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"I am on my way to another one. The ride is great, but the steering is better on the 2003's and up. Good gas mileage and comfort. 330 and 350 has more power. Great car I'm hooked!"

By far, the best car purchase I ever made.

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and effortless to drive-smooth and quiet"

Cons: "Steering Radius"

"When I bought my Lexus, I test drove all of them, BMW, Acura, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, Mercedes and the rest. It was not until I sat in the RX300... After purchasing, the years went on and I could not have been more pleased - and why not. - The body design was still in style. - The interior and exterior still were like new. - No mechanical problems at all... it ran great! - Gas mileage was even holding true. - No car payment! Now it is 12 years later and the little things are starting to go, door locks, shorts in the electrical, leather is worn, and not quite in style like it was. That said, know that my RX300 still runs like a champ and has no signs of letting up. Best Car Purchase I Ever Made!"