2000 Lexus RX

Based on 409 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

A wonderful luxurious but tough SUV

By on Thursday, January 31, 2008

"I've had my 2001 RX300 for a few years now, I bought it used, and it has been wonderful. The gas mileage is great for an SUV, when properly tuned up I get 23 city, 26 hwy, and that's not exaggerating. If I don't keep it tuned up, I get about 21 city, and 23-24 hwy, still great for an SUV. I chose this SUV over newer SUVs in the same price range (used but newer Honda Pilot, Honda Element, Jeep Cherokee, Liberty, Yukon, Tahoe etc.) because its gas mileage was better, and mostly because of the superior way it handled the road and the unsurpassable comfort, not just of the drive, but also of the cabin. I am a tall person, and was surprised how small some of the other SUVs were as far as leg and head room. This one is not. I can kick back and drive comfortably. I can sit up straight and not feel the ceiling right over me. I can even sit in the back seat very comfortably - a new experience for me!! There is also plenty of room to lug stuff around; the back seat folds down FLAT, which is great, and this car has helped us with many a landscaping project, and with moving. Even though the car has mileage in the mid 80,000s, it's still running like a champ. There have been a few repairs (some minor ac issues and replaced motor mount) but overall I've been very happy. Repairs are expensive, so get an extended warranty. When this one kicks the bucket, I fully intend to get another. It is a solid piece of machinery. The drive is smooth, powerful and quiet. I love the v-6 in it. It's a surprisingly fast car, for an SUV! The interior features are classy and classic. Wood trim, high quality leather seats, leather trim on doors, adjustable separate air vent for back seat, and the driver's seat has SO many controls to adjust it, you can truly personalize it to your body. The quality of the interior was second to none compared to the other vehicles I test drove in this price range. The exterior is very classy and sporty, and does well to hide the car's age. I've also driven the newer rx's and can't stand them. They traded leg room and comfort for a minor improvement in gas mileage. It's not the same solid car, and it's a shame. I consider this vehicle a great value. Make sure you get the extended warranty, though, just in case something ever did go wrong. Even though I haven't had any major problems, the 'luxury' car repair prices could be steep if something went wrong."

By on Sunday, March 29, 2009

"Best vehicle I owned. 22mpg on road, now with 163000 miles. Same engine, trans, and a/c. Recommended Michellin tires for longer life and better handling than Goodyear. Can tow a small boat, bikes, roof rack etc. Very comfortable on long drives. RX300."

1999 Lexus Rx300 316,000 miles Still Running Great

By on Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, Feels very solid on the road,"

Cons: "None really"

"I bought this car new in late 1998, performed all the standard maintenance and have had ZERO issues ever. A very good and highly reliable machine that still looks very fresh 14 years later. Parked next a 2012 Lexus RX450 it still looks as good and extremely similar in appearance."

Best Purchase for Vehicle I've Ever Made

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Smooth ride, elegant look, picks up really fasts"

Cons: "Model wasn't equipped with GPS"

"I purchased my car from a Lexus delalership in 2001 as a Previously Owned Vehicle (a year old). I've had no mechanical issues, engine has held up, no really expensive repair costs. I'm finally letting it go after owning the car for 11 years (she's 12 yrs old now with over 220K miles). I did my regular maintenance at dealership as scheduled until I moved, then found a realiable mechanic. After all of these years, my transmission might be going soon. Overall a great vehicle!! Extremely smooth ride. Excellent paint job and solid materials used on car. Outside still looks brand new...I get compliments from the auto shops when I take it in for an oil change about the beauty of the exterior after all of these years. No rust, no chipped paint. I still love my car!!"

2000 Lexus RX

By on Sunday, August 05, 2007

"I have owned at least 2 dozen cars over the years. The Lexus RX is by far the best car I have ever owned. We have 178K on it and it has never had a problem. I would recommend Lexus to everyone. They make a fantastic car that lasts. What more can you ask for?"