• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

1999 Lexus RX

Based on 390 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, fun to drive, looks great"

"Still driving this car after 15 years! I still love my car. I don't want to give it up. Dependable, fun to drive and still looks great too!"

Just ok

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "smooth drivetrain, ride. comfortable seats."

Cons: "poor gas mileage, poor interior ergonomics"

"RX300 AWD. Purch 12/2011 w/ 110.6K miles. Now 4/2014 with 157.7K miles. The car was pretty clean when we bought it. Putting about 20K per year on the car. First 2 years - no problems except O2 sensor #1 had to be replaced. Pros-silky smooth engine/trans, very smooth ride, perfect steering wheel, comfortable seats for long drives. Have driven it on many long distance trips (Raleigh-Chicago, Raleigh-SanAntonio, Dallas-Raliegh, Dallas-Chicago) Runs like a swiss watch. Cons-lots of wind noise around A pillars, does not like cross-winds, terrible ergonomics on radio and climate controls - the buttons and knobs are identical for both. Info screen washes out on sunny days-can't read it. No compass, no steering wheel controls for radio or cruise control. Disappointing gas mileage - 17 around town; never more than 20.5 pure highway. Short gearing is probably the biggest contributor to poor MPG-abt 2950 at 70MPH, and side mirrors the size of small flat screen TVs. Very expensive to repair. $1200 for timing belt/water pump. (timing belt on a $40K vehicle is unacceptable, Lexus/Toyota!) Needed knock sensor, valve cover gaskets-$2200. Two catalytic converters-$900. The little V6 is low and jammed against firewall; very labor intensive to work on the engine. With recent repair costs over past 4 months, not sure I'd buy another one."

Just ok

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "smooth drivetrain, ride. comfortable seats."

Cons: "poor gas mileage, poor interior ergonomics"

Most reliable and trouble free car ever!

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"This car is now 14 years old. It has never had a major problem. It has never failed to start, all of the systems still work at 100%. It has the same feel and power as it did when I first got it. The styling is such, that even though it may not look like a brand-new model, it looks like a newer car. I will keep it as long as possible. My fear is that if something happens, that it is totaled or stolen, I won't get its real value. It's worth a brand-new car. I have 120,000 miles on it. The dealer says I should expect 200,000 at the minimum. It doesn't burn a drop of oil, and the air-conditioning still will freeze you out. I have heard that this is considered the best SUV model Lexus has made. I cannot imagine a more reliable sturdy car."

Stay Away if you can't help it.

By on Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Pros: "Handling, Interior design, fancy, good price."

Cons: "Transmission, gas, transfer case"

"I have owned this car for 2 years now and I love the interior, the handling, and enjoyed it for sometime. If you do not know this car is KNOWN by many to have transmission failures even with regular maintenance. Some report transmission problem before hitting 100k miles. I had it fixed and again it will need fixing. Gas is not that good but not horrible. Around 19MPH if you driving on freeway alot."