• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

1999 Lexus RX

Based on 386 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

reliable,comfortable awd suv

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "reliability,quality,awd-excellent traction"

Cons: "premium gas ,typical suv-poor gas mileage"

"bought as 3 year old with only 32,000 miles-like new.now 14 years old with 168,000.well maintained-oil changed every 5k,trans fluid every 30k.no engine nor trans problem. basically no major work.only tires,brakes,rotors and couple oxygen sensors & ignition coil.have noticed last year slight engine oil leak-add maybe half quart a month.Body,paint interior leather good condition-driver seat rip fixed couple years ago.Only real complaint is car runs better on premium gas and gas mileage 17-24 mpg."

Great car, saved my hide in an accident

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "Safety, Ride, comfort, sound system, style."

Cons: "Gas mileage, turning radios, changing the oil."

"I owned this car for a little over a year, and have to say it was a great experience. The ride, the power it had, and not to mention the safety of it when I had the accident. If you want a car that is reliable, decent on gas and feels like a solid vehicle, buy one. I put a lot of highway mileage on it and was great in all weather. I guess the one insight I Have on this vehicle that many people don't is the safety of it. I felt like I had to write about the incident and how the car did't disappoint me when it mattered. I was going around 50 to 60 Mph, when a car decided to make a left turn and cut me off. I hit the front right of a large jeep head on. Like many people it all happened so fast. It literally happened, my car came to a stop, I put it in park and got out, no joke. The airbags deployed and I had my seat belt on. The car did its job, and saved me from some serious injuries. If I get the chance I would buy another one in a flash. I truly will miss it, and talk the car up any chance I get."

Best vehicle ever

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "great great car"

Cons: "nothing bad to report have had 10+ years"

"I purchased this vehicle used at 44,500 miles in 2003.... Have only replaced the transmission at <100,000 miles (it's only hiccup I've had). This is an excellent vehicle I cannot think of any type of vehicle I would want now (other than another 2003-2004 Lexus). I just love my 2000 with heated front seats. The ease of driving it, especially in the rain; it is a great car overall, very low maintenance. Just routine tune-ups & oil change. The multiple disc CD player; with the cassette and stereo system is fantastic. I can read a whole book on my way from NC to Fl; and with the ease of the vehicle driving time flies by. Highly recommend this vehicle top everyone."

I love this car , just ready for a new car

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Love this car it's just ok'd and little stuff goin"

Cons: "Cons same as pros"

"Replaced brand new transmission at 101,000 mi"

Sevice records available. No problems ever!

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "Enjoyable to drive."

Cons: "Interior beginning to show age!"

"Oil changed every 3000 miles. Loved this car. Interior is fair."

Best car on the road, as far as I'm concerned

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "I love my navigation system, it drives great still"

Cons: "It won't wear out and I want a new car."

"Well, I want to get rid of this car because I want a new car, but I just can't justify it even yet. There's nothing wrong with it! I've driven it everywhere, on the road and in town. Nearly 300000 miles now, and it is quiet, the drive is great, the gas mileage is OK... as advertised. I bought it used with about a thousand miles on it back in 2001. A few small small problems, like the power locks. This year the front defroster on the inside of the dash went out. I still have the original engine, and have had such minimal repairs that I can't even remember them. I just have a great mechanic that checks it over now and then, and do routine maintenance and oil changes. Someone even asked me this year if I just got a new car! The cassette tape deck quit functioning long ago :) What can I say but NO PROBLEMS except for very minor ones."

My office of 8 years

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

"I purchased my '01 in '05 with 22,000 miles, it now has 199,500 on it. I have used it as a rolling office for the last 8 years of going on jobs sites to inspect heavy equipment. Since I never knew what to expect when I reaching a destination, I was always pleased with how my Lexus handled. It always got me out of any situation mud, snow, sand and holes that hadn't been filled in correctly. Spending hours in my Lexus ways never stressful or uncomfortable. Now I have retired and it is our go to vehicle for mileage, comfort and space. When this one dies I will get another. Great little vehicle."

excellent reliebility, perfect in snow

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "perfect in winter: all-wheel drive & heated seats"

Cons: "alittle short on legroom, gas milages 17-18mpg"

"I love my old RX. I bought this one in 2011 with 120,000. A few minor things don't work so well anymore, 1 of the back doors has to be locked manually, and the outside temperature reading doesn't work anymore. Other than that its a perfect vehical with very low maintainence required. No rust. The owners manual recomends using premium (92 oct.) gas, I use regular (87 oct.) and it works just fine. I put premium gas in a few times and the gas milage was exactly the same. 1 draw back of this vehical for me is that I am kind of tall and this vehical only provides adequate leg room. Most others would not have this issue though. With the all-wheel drive system I don't need to spend big money on snow tires, regular all season tires work just fine in the snow. I would highely recomend this vehical to anyone. My Mom bought a 2003 RX this past summer and she loves it."

Outstanding Vehicle For The Money!

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "Great Value For The Dollar!"

Cons: "Stearing Radius"

"Bought this car in Feb. 2001 from a Lexus dealer and have every service done there even though I have to drive 200 miles to do so! I restore antique vehicles and know the value of cars. For the price, the best value car you could ever own. Even though the new ones have a lot of bells and whistles, I can find no reason to sell or trade in this great vehicle. The paint, interior and road driving ability of this Lexus, is the same as the day I drove it off the lot!"

Really great car.

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pros: "comfortable front and back. No mechanical problems"

Cons: "terrible gas milage, terrible turning ratio"

"This car looks nice and is very comfortable both in the front seats and the back seats. The trunk area in the back with the fold down seats is excellent for most anything you want to carry in a car. The head room is very good and comfortable and helps when carrying large items. I had very little problem at all with the engine of the car. I changed the oil every 3000 miles and had regular service done on it to make sure that it stayed reliable. The down side of this car is that the turning ratio is terrible. My husbands truck has a better turning ratio than this car. It is like a turtle when a tight turn is needed. I found that the paint on the overhead racks outside was not good. I began to wear off. The car is parked out side but I never had that happen before. Also the bumpers stick out too far. It is hard to calculate the distance out that they are. The sun visor on the passenger side began to fall down and would not stay up. I replaced it. I have leather seats in the car and I liked the way they wore. Wear does not show at all. The carpeting in the car cleans very very well. Over all I think it is a very recommendable car to drive. Oh the mileage is absolutely terrible. Freeway milage is 16 miles to the gallon at 60 mi / hr. Steet driving is only at best 15.8 at the speed limit. Terrible mileage."

See if you qualify for