• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

1999 Lexus RX

Based on 392 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

Most reliable and trouble free car ever!

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"This car is now 14 years old. It has never had a major problem. It has never failed to start, all of the systems still work at 100%. It has the same feel and power as it did when I first got it. The styling is such, that even though it may not look like a brand-new model, it looks like a newer car. I will keep it as long as possible. My fear is that if something happens, that it is totaled or stolen, I won't get its real value. It's worth a brand-new car. I have 120,000 miles on it. The dealer says I should expect 200,000 at the minimum. It doesn't burn a drop of oil, and the air-conditioning still will freeze you out. I have heard that this is considered the best SUV model Lexus has made. I cannot imagine a more reliable sturdy car."

Stay Away if you can't help it.

By on Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Pros: "Handling, Interior design, fancy, good price."

Cons: "Transmission, gas, transfer case"

"I have owned this car for 2 years now and I love the interior, the handling, and enjoyed it for sometime. If you do not know this car is KNOWN by many to have transmission failures even with regular maintenance. Some report transmission problem before hitting 100k miles. I had it fixed and again it will need fixing. Gas is not that good but not horrible. Around 19MPH if you driving on freeway alot."

Went to Atlanta car show...new RX 350 is $45G plus

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Quality and minimal upkeep costs."

Cons: "Wish I had bought two in 1999."

"My 15 yr old RX 300 runs like a champ..only wish would be better turning radius, but overall is a most reliable and excellent transportation. Toyota's first RX was a gem."

Reliability should be a 20...Excellent Vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"Seriously, I have only had this car in the shop for regular maintenance. Giving to my daughter and her family after 11 years of driving."

Most reliable car.

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

"I loved this car. I bought it new and it has been the best investment and so reliable. I feel I have gotten my moneys worth. Having said that, I don't plan to buy another Lexus for two reasons: the gas mileage has not improved significantly since 2001 and for the high price they could have worked on improving this feature. Also, I don't like the look of the new Lexus. It looks and feels bigger. After owning this vehicle for 13 years I'm ready for a change."

Great ride, nice features, super reliable

By on Sunday, March 09, 2014

Cons: "expensive dealer service."

"12 years of ownership...looks as good as new except alloy wheels. Recommend spending extra for chrome wheels. Really has been a great car."

reliable,comfortable awd suv

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "reliability,quality,awd-excellent traction"

Cons: "premium gas ,typical suv-poor gas mileage"

"bought as 3 year old with only 32,000 miles-like new.now 14 years old with 168,000.well maintained-oil changed every 5k,trans fluid every 30k.no engine nor trans problem. basically no major work.only tires,brakes,rotors and couple oxygen sensors & ignition coil.have noticed last year slight engine oil leak-add maybe half quart a month.Body,paint interior leather good condition-driver seat rip fixed couple years ago.Only real complaint is car runs better on premium gas and gas mileage 17-24 mpg."

Great car, saved my hide in an accident

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "Safety, Ride, comfort, sound system, style."

Cons: "Gas mileage, turning radios, changing the oil."

"I owned this car for a little over a year, and have to say it was a great experience. The ride, the power it had, and not to mention the safety of it when I had the accident. If you want a car that is reliable, decent on gas and feels like a solid vehicle, buy one. I put a lot of highway mileage on it and was great in all weather. I guess the one insight I Have on this vehicle that many people don't is the safety of it. I felt like I had to write about the incident and how the car did't disappoint me when it mattered. I was going around 50 to 60 Mph, when a car decided to make a left turn and cut me off. I hit the front right of a large jeep head on. Like many people it all happened so fast. It literally happened, my car came to a stop, I put it in park and got out, no joke. The airbags deployed and I had my seat belt on. The car did its job, and saved me from some serious injuries. If I get the chance I would buy another one in a flash. I truly will miss it, and talk the car up any chance I get."

Best vehicle ever

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "great great car"

Cons: "nothing bad to report have had 10+ years"

"I purchased this vehicle used at 44,500 miles in 2003.... Have only replaced the transmission at <100,000 miles (it's only hiccup I've had). This is an excellent vehicle I cannot think of any type of vehicle I would want now (other than another 2003-2004 Lexus). I just love my 2000 with heated front seats. The ease of driving it, especially in the rain; it is a great car overall, very low maintenance. Just routine tune-ups & oil change. The multiple disc CD player; with the cassette and stereo system is fantastic. I can read a whole book on my way from NC to Fl; and with the ease of the vehicle driving time flies by. Highly recommend this vehicle top everyone."

I love this car , just ready for a new car

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Love this car it's just ok'd and little stuff goin"

Cons: "Cons same as pros"

"Replaced brand new transmission at 101,000 mi"