1999 Lexus RX

Based on 411 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

A wonderful luxurious but tough SUV

By on Thursday, January 31, 2008

"I've had my 2001 RX300 for a few years now, I bought it used, and it has been wonderful. The gas mileage is great for an SUV, when properly tuned up I get 23 city, 26 hwy, and that's not exaggerating. If I don't keep it tuned up, I get about 21 city, and 23-24 hwy, still great for an SUV. I chose this SUV over newer SUVs in the same price range (used but newer Honda Pilot, Honda Element, Jeep Cherokee, Liberty, Yukon, Tahoe etc.) because its gas mileage was better, and mostly because of the superior way it handled the road and the unsurpassable comfort, not just of the drive, but also of the cabin. I am a tall person, and was surprised how small some of the other SUVs were as far as leg and head room. This one is not. I can kick back and drive comfortably. I can sit up straight and not feel the ceiling right over me. I can even sit in the back seat very comfortably - a new experience for me!! There is also plenty of room to lug stuff around; the back seat folds down FLAT, which is great, and this car has helped us with many a landscaping project, and with moving. Even though the car has mileage in the mid 80,000s, it's still running like a champ. There have been a few repairs (some minor ac issues and replaced motor mount) but overall I've been very happy. Repairs are expensive, so get an extended warranty. When this one kicks the bucket, I fully intend to get another. It is a solid piece of machinery. The drive is smooth, powerful and quiet. I love the v-6 in it. It's a surprisingly fast car, for an SUV! The interior features are classy and classic. Wood trim, high quality leather seats, leather trim on doors, adjustable separate air vent for back seat, and the driver's seat has SO many controls to adjust it, you can truly personalize it to your body. The quality of the interior was second to none compared to the other vehicles I test drove in this price range. The exterior is very classy and sporty, and does well to hide the car's age. I've also driven the newer rx's and can't stand them. They traded leg room and comfort for a minor improvement in gas mileage. It's not the same solid car, and it's a shame. I consider this vehicle a great value. Make sure you get the extended warranty, though, just in case something ever did go wrong. Even though I haven't had any major problems, the 'luxury' car repair prices could be steep if something went wrong."

2000 Lexus RX

By on Sunday, August 05, 2007

"I have owned at least 2 dozen cars over the years. The Lexus RX is by far the best car I have ever owned. We have 178K on it and it has never had a problem. I would recommend Lexus to everyone. They make a fantastic car that lasts. What more can you ask for?"

Best Purchase for Vehicle I've Ever Made

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Smooth ride, elegant look, picks up really fasts"

Cons: "Model wasn't equipped with GPS"

"I purchased my car from a Lexus delalership in 2001 as a Previously Owned Vehicle (a year old). I've had no mechanical issues, engine has held up, no really expensive repair costs. I'm finally letting it go after owning the car for 11 years (she's 12 yrs old now with over 220K miles). I did my regular maintenance at dealership as scheduled until I moved, then found a realiable mechanic. After all of these years, my transmission might be going soon. Overall a great vehicle!! Extremely smooth ride. Excellent paint job and solid materials used on car. Outside still looks brand new...I get compliments from the auto shops when I take it in for an oil change about the beauty of the exterior after all of these years. No rust, no chipped paint. I still love my car!!"

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"I bought a 2001 RX300 in October of 2003 and have had this car almost 5 years. I love it overall but after reading a couple reviews I've noticed some similarities. I too had a transmission problem with the RX right before my 100,000 warranty was up. After talking with others and reading reviews, I have found this is a common problem with the RX. Even the mechanic at the dealership agreed. Unfortuantely for me, I took my car in 3 times before 100K to report the transmission problem and conveniently Lexus could not find it. At 102K they agreed it was a transmission problem. After fighting with them they did offer to replace it but I had to pay $500. I have a new transmission and my car drives great with 143K miles on it. For sure get an extended warranty on the RX!!! Overall though, I love it! it's sporty, stylish, and it's been good to me. I can't complain otherwise!!"

Best I've owned

By on Friday, March 21, 2008

"I bought this vehicle brand new and with minimal maintenance in 6 years and now at 103K miles I've never had a car perform this well. Passengers often comment about the smooth ride. It drives like a car, not a truck and I can easily get in and out with my professional skirt suits. I've been a Honda, Ford and Chrysler owner. This has been even better than my Hondas. People often offer to buy it and I'M NOT SELLING!"