• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2012 Lexus LS

9.3

Based on 144 Ratings for the 2007 - 2012 models.

Quality and Reliability for Less Money

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, quiet under way, powerful, roomy"

Cons: "18-19 mpg overall, noisy at idle, plain styling"

"This is my third Lexus LS, after a 2001 and 2004. I, my friends or my relatives have owned, and I have driven their, S-Class and E-Class Mercedes-Benz; 5-Series and 7-Series BMW; Jaguar XJ; and Audi A8, A7, and A6. I owned two Mercedes before switching to Lexus. All nice cars, but what I need most is a luxury car that never breaks, and the LS has come closest by far. The 2001 and 2004, essentially that same car with a face-lift, were much quieter but did not offer the long wheelbase. Try it, and your friends and colleagues will never let you go back to the shorter wheelbase. The 2010 direct injection motor is noisy at idle but generates much more horsepower and torque. Turn off the traction control and stability control (how did we ever safely drive a car before these inventions?), put the transmission in "Power" and the suspension in "Sport," and the car can hustle. Reviewers never seem to tweak the car in this way, but it changes the character of the sedan. The interior (black aniline leather, Alcantara headliner) looks fantastic even after 95,000 miles of daily commuting. Rear seat passengers love the power screens on the rear passenger windows and rear window when the sun is out in summer. No trying to find the tiny hook by hand. All the systems - Bluetooth phone, satellite radio, CD/DVD player (and yes, you can watch DVD movies with fantastic Mark Levinson sound on the media screen when the car is in not in drive, but why would you?), navigation, voice command - have been flawless. In fact, of the three LSs there has been only one component failure: the back-up camera in the 2004 failed and was replaced under warranty in one day. My friend spent $17,000 in repairs on his BMW 540i in the last two years (6th and 7th) of ownership, and my brother left the BMW fold after three 7-Series because of the massive repair expense. I know each person has his or her own thoughts on where to have service/maintenance performed, but I have always had the dealer work on my cars (Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus). I spent more, undoubtedly, up front but I have always had a car in great shape, and a new, clean loaner while it was being worked on. And the resale value was always at the top of the range. It is hard to get excited about an LS if you value style over substance, or image over reliability. I love Mercedes-Benz, but I got tired of showing up at the dealership with a rear window that was stuck down, or an inoperative mass flow air sensor (again) and a $600 repair bill. (Mercedes split the cost of the first one and I had to eat the second one.) Also, the dealer experience with Lexus has always been professional and courteous. All scheduled maintenance done in one day with a loaner. Test drives overnight or over the weekend so my family of six and I can appreciate whether the potential purchase is right for us. Couldn't be happier with the car and the dealer."

Tremendous car

By on Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pros: "All good"

Cons: "Expensive"

"Best car I have ever had"

best vehicle i've ever had the pleasure of driving

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "awesome vehicle"

"--- hands down a better ride and drive than any mercedes, bmw or audi"

great car. my 2nd LS

By on Sunday, November 20, 2011

"Car is so good, hard to have a reason to ever trade it in."

Best vehicle I' ve owned!

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "MPG, comfort, size, handling, quality, features..."

Cons: "Honestly, can't think of any!"

"I can't say enough about what an awesome car the LS460 is. I own a 2007 and test drove many similar vehicles before purchasing ours used. The comfort is tops! Averaged 30MPG on a cross country trip with the car loaded to the gills! It's a dream to drive whether you're headed across town or across the country! You can't find this quality, size and comfort level in this fuel efficiency range! The best! Forgot to mention that the trunk is amazingly spacious! Lexus is a great company to do business with as well."