2008 Lexus LS

9.3

Based on 149 Ratings for the 2007 - 2012 models.

Very reliable vehicle

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pros: "responsive power"

"My LS600hL has been extremely dependable. I average 23mpg city/hwy; power is quick and responsive. Cabin noise is very dampened compared to the ext environment. During long trips its easy to forget how fast your driving as the engine barely hums and road noise is no different at 90mph vs 35mph. Maintenance has been worry free but oil changes can be pricey especially if you use synthetics as the vehicle has a 9.5L oil capacity. Great vehicle over all - kids love the DVD entertainment system; the Mark Levinson sound system easily rivals a home theater in clarity."

What an awesome car!

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pros: "Smooth ride, quiet, dependable, safe, luxurious!"

Cons: "Pricey, but worth it!"

"I've owned Mercedes S class, Audi and BMW 525i but this is by far the most technologically advanced car ever! It does everything from park itself to find a lunch spot when I'm hungry! It also has reclining rear seats, HDD Voice Command navigation system, Mark Levinson 14 speakers sound system and power door closers just to name a few options! Wow! Everyday, I learn a new feature about this car. The ride is quiet, smooth and luxurious. Definitely not sporty! If you prefer a sporty drive then BMW is the car but if you want to be bathed in luxury, this is it!"

best vehicle ever

By on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pros: "Very quite, smooth, my kind of car"

Cons: "can't think of any"

"I hane owned this car LS460l since new and had an 02 Lexus 430 for 7 yrs. it was a wonderful auto. I didn't even put brakes or battery in it,over a 100,000 miles I didn't think a new 08' would be equal to it, boy was I wrong. How could Lexus make a car run so smooth. It does have the air suspension,upgrade interior and radio. Man what a radio 19 speakers w/450 watt. amp. Anyhow I just love this car."

#1 Car

By on Thursday, October 01, 2009

"this car is far most one of the top luxary vehcles on the road. Great handling & style. Great Navigation system. I traded in my LS430 for a ls460L AWD Sorry Benz & BMW & Audi"

Lexus LS 460 review

By on Saturday, May 02, 2009

"The Lexus LS is the most comfortable car I've ever driven or been in. It really keeps its value. I've Lexus LSs for fourteen years and have not had a single problem with any if mine. I have friends that have the BMW 7 series and Mercedes S-class and they aren't very happy with them. They have confusing controls, don't keep their value, and aren't reliable. The Lexus LS is also a lot less than those cars."

If Substance Means More to You Than Image

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Price, quality, reliability, dealer experience."

Cons: "Fuel mileage, idle noise, can't program underway."

"This is my third LS, after a 2001 and a 2004. This one has more horsepower, more torque, and more room. What makes the LS 460L AWD, and all of my LSs, outstanding is its reliability. Things don't break. My Mercedes E-Class was a great car - I loved it - but I got tired of windows not going up, or air mass flow sensors failing. Three LSs and one defective part: the backup camera on the 2004 failed and was repaired under warranty the same day. And this car can hustle when needed. Just turn off the traction control and stability control, set the transmission to "Power" and the suspension to "Sport" and experience a whole new car. I wish more reviewers would set up the car this way before they write about the cushy, bland ride. Properly tuned, the ride is stiff but well-controlled, and the transmission keeps the engine higher in the torque curve. The all-wheel drive is seamless, and in deep snow you can raise the suspension about two inches and get over the pile of snow shoved up against the end of your driveway by the snow plows. The interior has 95,000 miles on it and looks new. All the little things still work perfectly, from the electric screens on the rear passenger windows, to the self-closing doors, to the self-leveling suspension, to the one-touch auto-close windows (all four) and sunroof, to the easy-exit driver's seat, to the auto-dimming high beams, to the self-closing trunk. Even the automatic parking for parallel and back-in stalls not only still works, but is easy to use after two or three practice runs. Now the negatives. Fuel mileage is around 18.9 mpg mixed highway/city, down almost two mpg from the earlier, less-powerful cars. The direct-injection engine idles like a diesel. Both of these disappointments are offset for the most part by the increased horsepower and torque, but I would have thought Lexus could have retained its reputation for silent running with superior engineering. The driver's seat, though luxurious, has a seat pad that does not extend as far forward in its adjustment as the older cars and does not support my legs as well as before. (I am 6'3".) And you can't operate much of the navigation system and Bluetooth telephone by the information screen when the car is underway, a false safety feature. All in all a great car for about $10,000 less than the competition, and worth even more when you go to sell or trade it."

Quality and Reliability for Less Money

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, quiet under way, powerful, roomy"

Cons: "18-19 mpg overall, noisy at idle, plain styling"

"This is my third Lexus LS, after a 2001 and 2004. I, my friends or my relatives have owned, and I have driven their, S-Class and E-Class Mercedes-Benz; 5-Series and 7-Series BMW; Jaguar XJ; and Audi A8, A7, and A6. I owned two Mercedes before switching to Lexus. All nice cars, but what I need most is a luxury car that never breaks, and the LS has come closest by far. The 2001 and 2004, essentially that same car with a face-lift, were much quieter but did not offer the long wheelbase. Try it, and your friends and colleagues will never let you go back to the shorter wheelbase. The 2010 direct injection motor is noisy at idle but generates much more horsepower and torque. Turn off the traction control and stability control (how did we ever safely drive a car before these inventions?), put the transmission in "Power" and the suspension in "Sport," and the car can hustle. Reviewers never seem to tweak the car in this way, but it changes the character of the sedan. The interior (black aniline leather, Alcantara headliner) looks fantastic even after 95,000 miles of daily commuting. Rear seat passengers love the power screens on the rear passenger windows and rear window when the sun is out in summer. No trying to find the tiny hook by hand. All the systems - Bluetooth phone, satellite radio, CD/DVD player (and yes, you can watch DVD movies with fantastic Mark Levinson sound on the media screen when the car is in not in drive, but why would you?), navigation, voice command - have been flawless. In fact, of the three LSs there has been only one component failure: the back-up camera in the 2004 failed and was replaced under warranty in one day. My friend spent $17,000 in repairs on his BMW 540i in the last two years (6th and 7th) of ownership, and my brother left the BMW fold after three 7-Series because of the massive repair expense. I know each person has his or her own thoughts on where to have service/maintenance performed, but I have always had the dealer work on my cars (Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus). I spent more, undoubtedly, up front but I have always had a car in great shape, and a new, clean loaner while it was being worked on. And the resale value was always at the top of the range. It is hard to get excited about an LS if you value style over substance, or image over reliability. I love Mercedes-Benz, but I got tired of showing up at the dealership with a rear window that was stuck down, or an inoperative mass flow air sensor (again) and a $600 repair bill. (Mercedes split the cost of the first one and I had to eat the second one.) Also, the dealer experience with Lexus has always been professional and courteous. All scheduled maintenance done in one day with a loaner. Test drives overnight or over the weekend so my family of six and I can appreciate whether the potential purchase is right for us. Couldn't be happier with the car and the dealer."

Best car I've ever had.

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Easy to drive."

Cons: "Expensive routine maintenance."

"Beautiful and comfortable. Loaded with luxury. Tires wear out too fast. Routine maintenance very expensive."

relentless pursuit of perfection

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Pros: "see preceding"

Cons: "can't find any"

"outstanding fit/finish, reliability, performance....legendary quality control you can pay lots more, but you can't buy better"

Best value for the money, Reliability is Very Good

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "all around great car"

Cons: "none come to mind"

"Only back to the dealer for oil changes and 20,000 mile service which was reasonable. If you want a luxurious vehicle and do not want to pay a lot of money, the base LS 460 is the car for you. Enjoy the ride."