2000 Lexus LS

9.7

Based on 176 Ratings for the 1995 - 2000 models.

9.7/10
    9.7/10

Better gas mileage than new

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Great steering, power, roomy leather interior"

"I bought the LS400 new in 1998. I now have 147,000 miles and it still averages 23 in the City to 25-28MPG freeway. I was disapointed to find the newer Lexus LS 460 only gets 16MPG city. This model is a keeper. What I love most is the steering...turns on a dime and u-turns are no problem at all. Virtually maintenance free except for oil changes, but plan to spend $1-2K on maintenance and repairs about every other year."

The Greatest Car Ever Built

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "Greatest car ever built. Quality, comfort, speed.."

Cons: "Cost of repairs, but they are rare. Buy one."

We named it Rio Silverado. When we got it we partied at The Rio in Vegas.

"I challenge you to read Chester Dawson -The Relentless Pursuit. I am a car freak. I have an internet car show. I drove in car commercials. I owned a restoration shop and raced in SCCA. I love cars, all kinds. But, this one, this one stopped me from buying cars like kids eat chips. It will run Albuquerque to Las Vegas at 90-100mph and get 25-28 with a full house. Its quiet, fast, balanced, and if you care for it, it will be your sanctuary from whatever you do for a living. As was said earlier, if you can find one, buy it now. BTW: Wifey has 189K on her 1999 LS400. Read the book, this IS the greatest car ever build."

We named it Rio Silverado. When we got it we partied at The Rio in Vegas.

The VERY best auto I ever owned!!

By on Friday, December 07, 2012

Pros: "It's got plenty of "zip" for any kind of driving"

Cons: "What's not to like -- I found no cons"

"I bought this car in 2000 with 33,000 miles on it. It has been garaged the entire time and has one-year old tires, new belts and hoses, drives like a dream and got 27mpg on a recent drive to and from NM mountains. I have used mid-grade gasoline for the past few years with no adverse effects. Regular maintenance has been done and the only un-expected repair was a replacement serpentine belt about a year after it was bought (at a regular scheduled maintenance at the dealer). The car will be sold ONLY because I have recently married and my husband has a new auto and pick-up. I know of no problems with the car; the rear seat has been sat in a dozen times, maybe. The color, silver sage, is a good one and the light grey interior makes for easy cleaning. Overall, this is a great car in very good condition."

perfection

By on Friday, May 20, 2011

"bought mine at 79000 miles. put in a new timing belt because the manuel said too.Probably didn"t need to.Absolutly best car i have ever owned.Drives like a dream.Long trips are a piece of cake and you feel so secure in it.Have 110000 miles now and it still drives like its brand new.When getting oil changed, have a Toyota dealership do it and save yourself about 50 percent.Unfortuantly,I am now spoiled and will not drive anything but a LS.Do yourself a favor and get one-you will be shocked on how its the perfect car."

By far best vehicle I've ever owned!

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

Pros: "Looks, reliability, comfort"

"I bought my LS400 when it was 2 years old with 30,000 miles on it. It has far exceeded my expectations in every way. The reliability, luxurious ride, classic good looks and easy maintenance have been a pleasure. I will purchase another. After accumulating more than 200,000 miles on it, I still would not hesitate to put it on the road going anywhere. It's just that good."

Most reliable vehicle I ever owned

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Pros: "Reliability amazing. Long drives perfect. Hwy mpg"

Cons: "Handling could be better Expensive repair."

"I bought this car with 104,000 miles on it in 2006 for $12,750. The car had 2 prior owners and it was originally priced at $56,000 brand new. As a general rule, owners take exceptional care of these vehicles. As soon as I bought it, I spent $1800 and had the deep 100,000 mile service performed. This is the key to preserving these vehicles. I had the 200,000 deep service done for $1,000 and it was nice that a local small town mechanic was not intimidated to work on this car. The ride on the highway is unequaled. Many times while on the phone folks could not even tell I was in the car when I was riding down the freeway at 75 mph. As recently as a few months ago, i was getting 26 mpg at or around 65-70 mph. Incredible. Over the 5.5 year period of time that I owned this car, I had one repair for $200. It always starts. Routine maintenance is the key. This is the best value on the market. If the owner has all of the papers showing routine oil changes, etc, I would not hesitate to buy one of these with mileage even close to 200,000. the only downside is that repairs are expensive but I never had any. I am 6-5 and the seats are just incredible."

Best Vehicle I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Great looks and fast"

Cons: "timeing belt evey 65k pricy but worth it"

"Purchased vehicle in 1999 serviced and maintained by professional Lexus mechanic. Best car ever. Continue to drive daily 130 each day and still get 23MPG. Will run with it until it dies, hopefully another 150k. Great motor and comfort."

1998 Lexus LS 400

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"Here's something to watch out for. The Nakamichi sound system is VERY difficult to find parts for. My amp goes out and then comes back. I finally managed to find a used amp on e-Bay but I have not had it put in yet since my current amp is still operating more as opposed to less. The car also surges when you first take off. A "tune up" briefly cured this but now it is back. This is my second LS. Awesome velicle despite the issues above. Plus, a great value compared to buying one new. I've owned LSs for 12 years now, all bought used."

Can't Kill This One

By on Saturday, November 10, 2007

"Traded a top of the line 2000 American car for this '98 LS400 in 2003. Car had less than 38,000 miles then, was maintained by the Lexus book at the same dealer, and came with the certified pre-owned warranty. This LS is used by our office staff and driven daily 300 miles but cleaned weekly and serviced by the rule. 180,000 miles now and never left anyone stranded. My bad experience(s)-Dealer "canned" pitch on service not needed. (RIP OFF) $2100 to replace main keys lost on same trip. (Don't ever let that happen) Over $2000 for starter I was told needed to be replaced. (Car still started and was never a problem but repair was authorized by my assistant when dealer called my office) Summary-Buy pre-owned and certified Lexus vehicles, use the dealer for service until warranty expires at 100K, find an independant and certified Lexus mechanic to avoid unneccasary repairs and try not to tier of a 20 year old car that still functions well every time you need it to. Who wants the new LS anyway? Too mushy, too expensive, looks like all the other Lexus cars, and too much useless gadgetry. I just hope I can find another pre-2001 LS with low mileage."

most reliable and most comfortable ride, safe,

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "what a luxury car should be"

Cons: "dealer maintence is expensive find a good independ"

"I get 20 mpg in town and 26 to 27 on the highway"