• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1999 Lexus LS

9.7

Based on 174 Ratings for the 1995 - 2000 models.

9.7/10
    9.7/10

Can't Kill This One

By on Saturday, November 10, 2007

"Traded a top of the line 2000 American car for this '98 LS400 in 2003. Car had less than 38,000 miles then, was maintained by the Lexus book at the same dealer, and came with the certified pre-owned warranty. This LS is used by our office staff and driven daily 300 miles but cleaned weekly and serviced by the rule. 180,000 miles now and never left anyone stranded. My bad experience(s)-Dealer "canned" pitch on service not needed. (RIP OFF) $2100 to replace main keys lost on same trip. (Don't ever let that happen) Over $2000 for starter I was told needed to be replaced. (Car still started and was never a problem but repair was authorized by my assistant when dealer called my office) Summary-Buy pre-owned and certified Lexus vehicles, use the dealer for service until warranty expires at 100K, find an independant and certified Lexus mechanic to avoid unneccasary repairs and try not to tier of a 20 year old car that still functions well every time you need it to. Who wants the new LS anyway? Too mushy, too expensive, looks like all the other Lexus cars, and too much useless gadgetry. I just hope I can find another pre-2001 LS with low mileage."

most reliable and most comfortable ride, safe,

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "what a luxury car should be"

Cons: "dealer maintence is expensive find a good independ"

"I get 20 mpg in town and 26 to 27 on the highway"

This car is simply the best ever made.

By on Monday, September 26, 2011

Pros: "The most dependable car ever owned. A pleasure to drive."

Cons: "Nothing that I can think of."

1999 Lexus LS400

"I have owned many automobiles during the past 60 years. This Lexus is the best overall car I have ever owned and driven. Nothing compares to it."

1999 Lexus LS400

Outstanding!

By on Saturday, May 14, 2011

"Bought my '98 LS400 in 2003. Best car I've ever had! Overall look still stylish today. Smooth, powerful, quiet and handles well for a big sedan. Extremely reliable. Keep fresh fluids in it and pay attention to the maintenance schedule and it's really not pricey to maintain. Over the long haul, a LOT LESS than I'd spend on a comparable Mercedes / BMW. I'm looking into buying a Lexus GX470. My wife asks me how much we'd get for the LX. I tell her zero. I'm never selling this car!"

nice vehicle

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"good riding vehicle, if you take vehicle to dealership for repairs, it will cost you an arm and a leg. go to an independent mechanic for all your repairs, unless you still have warranty on your vehicle. these vehicles will run a long time, but you have to up keep the maintenance! before you buy, see if you can get all the repair record for this vehicle from a lexus dealership, main thing is timing belt replacement at 90k miles. otherwise you have a good vehicle and good gas mileage vehicle, 24 mpg on freeways."