1999 Lexus LS

9.7

Based on 164 Ratings for the 1995 - 2000 models.

9.7/10

Heavy like a tank, safe, rides very well

By on Friday, September 12, 2014

Pros: "Best car I ever had, that includes a Mercedes"

"The paint is great except for some pitting on the hood. 70 percent of the mileage was highway driving. The interior is perfect . The car was always maintained be the Lexus dealership in Palm Beach. The car is great. The only reason for this sale is we have three cars and a two car garage."

Best car I've owned.

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pros: "This is what all cars should be like."

Cons: "The risers on the hood wore out."

""Butterfly" is the name I've given this car, with excellent workmanship, great comfort, power, good looks and drivability. Repairs have been minimal over 264,000 miles. I'm certain it will soar right past 300,000 miles."

I love my car!

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "Comfy and never stranded me ever"

Cons: "Expensive replacement parts"

"I bought this car pre-owned at 50,000 miles 16 years ago. It has never stranded me, has no rattles and performs like a V8 should - best car ever made. I have no plans to sell it even though my kids are telling me to buy a new car which I could easily afford. Why should I?I love it and it loves me."

Ahhhh-mazing!

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Pros: "Smooth and comfortable, Great gas mileage for a V8"

Cons: "Not the fastest or Sportiest"

"Man...where do I start. This car is an absolute dream to own. I use to own a 97 ES300 and thought that was great. I sold it with 167000 miles (never broke down) and bought and Audi A6 (worst mistake of my driving life). So after only 6 mos of the Audi ownership and THOUSANDS in repair; I sold it which I took a hefty loss. I went back to my roots: A Lexus. I was skeptical to buy my LS400 with 182000 miles (yes that number is correct), but after my first test drive...I bought it. With almost 200K miles on it, this car rides like you are on clouds. It is so smooth its unbelievable. Test drive one to see for yourself. I just cant explain how smooth the car rides. I swear after 15 years it rides better than most brand new cars. There is not one squeak or shimmy that comes from it. When in the car you literally cannot hear the engine running. The struts glides over bumps as if its on air (I DO NOT have air ride; Mine has regular struts). The seats are so big and comfy, The sound systems plays great, the navigation works flawless, and the interior is just plain luxurious. It is not the most fun car to drive so don't expect sporty handling or a turbo engine. But apart from that, the car is wonderful!. Currently I have 187K on it, and it has never broken down, everything still works. I do expect the repairs to be a lil higher (still cheaper than an Audi), but expect repairs to be very far and few in between. If you see one that is well maintained, RUN and GET IT! This car will never disappoint you. Did I mention this tank of a vehicle gets between 20-30 MPG....Well It does!"

Excellent

By on Saturday, June 28, 2014

"I purchased this car 13 years ago. It was a used - one owner car. I have had to spend minimal money and time in repairs over the years. Very reliable and dependable. Next car I purchase will be a Lexus."

Dependable luxury

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pros: "Safe reliable smooth and quiet"

"The most reliable and safe vehicle ever made. These cars will easily go 300,000 miles or more if maintained properly. Quite a history in the development of this automobile. It would be very hard to own any other brand of car since driving this one. My 1997 Lexus LS400 is 17 years old and drives like brand new. I cant believe how silent, smooth, and well built it is. Even the motor mounts are liquid filled. My advice is to try to buy from an original owner. You can be assured they took well care of it. This car sold for over $53,000.00 when new. I paid $5,200.00 when it had 102,000 miles and 15 years old."

none better for the price

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "reliable & comfortable if kept up"

Cons: "pricey up front-long term=no"

"Dollar for dollar we don't think there is a better car for the price. With 272K miles, it still drives and handles almost like new. All upkeep and work done at dealership. I've always done all my car work myself... before this one. These newer cars need too much special tools and knowledge for a home garage mechanic. The only other car we'd consider would be an Audi. For a not so high end car, a VW would be our nest choice. Checked Consumer's year end auto buyer's guide and owner's survey results for reliability and repair frequency; Toyota and Honda beat all...BMW's and Mercedes' are only average or below in most categories."

Great car!

By on Sunday, June 08, 2014

"Purchased this 18 year old car with 84,000 ,miles. $7,000.00 price. Excellent interior/exterior. Great automobile!"

Best manufactured care on the planet for its day.

By on Monday, May 26, 2014

Pros: "Quality, comfort, ride."

Cons: "Cup holder is too small"

"It is 13 years old, has 112,000 miles on it and still rides smoother and quieter than any new car I have been in for years, other than Lexus. Still rides like brand new. Rock solid dependable, not a single thing wrong with it except a couple elements in the stereo system LCD display."

Tan/gold, black spoked-new wheels,impeccably main

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "Beautiful, well maintained, excellent condition"

Lexus LS300 98

"Sound system wonderful, 6 CD cassette, quiet, beautiful condition. Purchased new car."

Lexus LS300 98

A joy to drivre & own

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "Need a car for every day of the week 7"

Cons: "I only have one to drive"

Ride or die oh what a ride or rush

"You cant go wrong buying a vehicle like this,thats my word as a man"

Ride or die oh what a ride or rush

awsome vehicle!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

"This has been an awesome car , smooth, quiet, great mileage, fast and it never breaks!"

I love this car

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "Everything."

Cons: "The interior color could be better"

"Got it used 2 years ago for $6000. Did the 90,000 mile timing belt replacement. Great reliable comfortable car."

EXCELLENT INTERIOR..FRESH PAINT

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "20PLUS MPG"

"WELL MAINTAINED, NEW TIRES AND ALL BELTS"

Great Luxury Car For The Money

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

"97 but, looks new, comfortable, quiet, fast, great sound system, sharp!. Have achieved nearly 26 on the HWY with AC on. 185K and still feels just like new, paid $3500 for Luxury and dependability. Could Only get this with a Lexus, it's a Toyota, Notorious for Engineering excellence. Kaizen, look it up. Never have seen these in the scrap yard unlike BMW's and Mercedes. Unless they were totaled."

A really great car!

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "Smooth ride, reliable, powerful and good mpg!"

Cons: "None for me!"

"I bought this car with 75,000 miles on it. It now has 302,000 miles and runs and drives like it did when I bought it, smooth as silk! I test drove an LS460 because I was thinking about changing but my car rode just as good as the LS460! Even if I buy an LS460, I'll keep my LS400. I think in 20 years this car will bring big bucks!"

The best car ever.

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

"285K miles with only tires, brakes and oil changes. It still rides and drives like new. I think 400k is within reach."

The Greatest Car Ever Built

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "Greatest car ever built. Quality, comfort, speed.."

Cons: "Cost of repairs, but they are rare. Buy one."

We named it Rio Silverado. When we got it we partied at The Rio in Vegas.

"I challenge you to read Chester Dawson -The Relentless Pursuit. I am a car freak. I have an internet car show. I drove in car commercials. I owned a restoration shop and raced in SCCA. I love cars, all kinds. But, this one, this one stopped me from buying cars like kids eat chips. It will run Albuquerque to Las Vegas at 90-100mph and get 25-28 with a full house. Its quiet, fast, balanced, and if you care for it, it will be your sanctuary from whatever you do for a living. As was said earlier, if you can find one, buy it now. BTW: Wifey has 189K on her 1999 LS400. Read the book, this IS the greatest car ever build."

We named it Rio Silverado. When we got it we partied at The Rio in Vegas.

Amazing car

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Best car in the world!"

Cons: "Gas Mileage"

"This is the best car I have ever owned. I have wanted this car for a long time and finally got it a last year and it is truly amazing."

The VERY best auto I ever owned!!

By on Friday, December 07, 2012

Pros: "It's got plenty of "zip" for any kind of driving"

Cons: "What's not to like -- I found no cons"

"I bought this car in 2000 with 33,000 miles on it. It has been garaged the entire time and has one-year old tires, new belts and hoses, drives like a dream and got 27mpg on a recent drive to and from NM mountains. I have used mid-grade gasoline for the past few years with no adverse effects. Regular maintenance has been done and the only un-expected repair was a replacement serpentine belt about a year after it was bought (at a regular scheduled maintenance at the dealer). The car will be sold ONLY because I have recently married and my husband has a new auto and pick-up. I know of no problems with the car; the rear seat has been sat in a dozen times, maybe. The color, silver sage, is a good one and the light grey interior makes for easy cleaning. Overall, this is a great car in very good condition."

Best Car I have Ever Owned!

By on Sunday, December 02, 2012

Pros: "Sound, reliable, well built dependable car."

Cons: "Small Cup holders"

"I am the original owner of a 1997 LS 400. The car was purchased new in South Carolina and other than routine maintenance every 30K miles and oil changes, brakes and tires, this car has never been in for any repairs. Everything on this car still works. It is as quiet and smooth as it was the day I bought the car 15 years ago. It is driven daily 30 miles round trip and I average 26-27 mpg hwy, 21 mpg city consistently. It calls for "Premium", but I have used midgrade gasoline for all these years with no problems. This car has been driven on very long trips at least 10 times with absolutely no problems. It has also driven over 200 miles to the University our son attended more times than we can count until last year without a hitch. It is RWD, so this car is driven about 9 months per year and usually garaged from Dec-Mar, depending on the weather here in NC. We have yet to see the "Check Engine" light to come on in 15 years. Amazing car."

If you can find one -- BUY IT

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pros: "Solid, Safe, Reliable, Great on Gas, Beautiful ."

Cons: "My Lexus has- - NEVER YET-- bought me lunch."

"I'm 70 years old and have owned many cars. My 2000 Lexus LS is by far the best of the lot. I have driven my Lexus cross country (USA) several times; coast to coast and back within Canada; and also to deep interior Mexico, twice, with only one repair needed---A FLAT TIRE FIXED :) :)"

A great automobile

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive and rides wonderful"

Cons: "Head room if you are tall only a inch or so."

"I bought this car when it was 5 years old with 43,000 miles on it. I t has been and still is a wonderful car.I do not drive it in the winter and keep it garaged and it looks and drives like new. The gas mileage on a V8 is 22-25 and up to 27 on highway drives. If I get another one I will go for the LS with all wheel drive and a few more gadgets. I like the sguare stile of this car because it is easy to judge instead of the round style so I keep waiting for the LS to change before I look for a newer one.Of course it may be years so I will keep what I have and enjoy it very much in good weather. If you want a great car and can find one of these early LS models they are very good cars. Most people tend to keep them and do not give them up to easy especially if they have been maintained and cared for."

Better gas mileage than new

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Great steering, power, roomy leather interior"

"I bought the LS400 new in 1998. I now have 147,000 miles and it still averages 23 in the City to 25-28MPG freeway. I was disapointed to find the newer Lexus LS 460 only gets 16MPG city. This model is a keeper. What I love most is the steering...turns on a dime and u-turns are no problem at all. Virtually maintenance free except for oil changes, but plan to spend $1-2K on maintenance and repairs about every other year."

By far best vehicle I've ever owned!

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

Pros: "Looks, reliability, comfort"

"I bought my LS400 when it was 2 years old with 30,000 miles on it. It has far exceeded my expectations in every way. The reliability, luxurious ride, classic good looks and easy maintenance have been a pleasure. I will purchase another. After accumulating more than 200,000 miles on it, I still would not hesitate to put it on the road going anywhere. It's just that good."