• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1998 Lexus LS

9.7

Based on 164 Ratings for the 1995 - 2000 models.

9.7/10

Heavy like a tank, safe, rides very well

By on Friday, September 12, 2014

Pros: "Best car I ever had, that includes a Mercedes"

"The paint is great except for some pitting on the hood. 70 percent of the mileage was highway driving. The interior is perfect . The car was always maintained be the Lexus dealership in Palm Beach. The car is great. The only reason for this sale is we have three cars and a two car garage."

Best car I've owned.

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pros: "This is what all cars should be like."

Cons: "The risers on the hood wore out."

""Butterfly" is the name I've given this car, with excellent workmanship, great comfort, power, good looks and drivability. Repairs have been minimal over 264,000 miles. I'm certain it will soar right past 300,000 miles."

I love my car!

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "Comfy and never stranded me ever"

Cons: "Expensive replacement parts"

"I bought this car pre-owned at 50,000 miles 16 years ago. It has never stranded me, has no rattles and performs like a V8 should - best car ever made. I have no plans to sell it even though my kids are telling me to buy a new car which I could easily afford. Why should I?I love it and it loves me."

Ahhhh-mazing!

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Pros: "Smooth and comfortable, Great gas mileage for a V8"

Cons: "Not the fastest or Sportiest"

"Man...where do I start. This car is an absolute dream to own. I use to own a 97 ES300 and thought that was great. I sold it with 167000 miles (never broke down) and bought and Audi A6 (worst mistake of my driving life). So after only 6 mos of the Audi ownership and THOUSANDS in repair; I sold it which I took a hefty loss. I went back to my roots: A Lexus. I was skeptical to buy my LS400 with 182000 miles (yes that number is correct), but after my first test drive...I bought it. With almost 200K miles on it, this car rides like you are on clouds. It is so smooth its unbelievable. Test drive one to see for yourself. I just cant explain how smooth the car rides. I swear after 15 years it rides better than most brand new cars. There is not one squeak or shimmy that comes from it. When in the car you literally cannot hear the engine running. The struts glides over bumps as if its on air (I DO NOT have air ride; Mine has regular struts). The seats are so big and comfy, The sound systems plays great, the navigation works flawless, and the interior is just plain luxurious. It is not the most fun car to drive so don't expect sporty handling or a turbo engine. But apart from that, the car is wonderful!. Currently I have 187K on it, and it has never broken down, everything still works. I do expect the repairs to be a lil higher (still cheaper than an Audi), but expect repairs to be very far and few in between. If you see one that is well maintained, RUN and GET IT! This car will never disappoint you. Did I mention this tank of a vehicle gets between 20-30 MPG....Well It does!"

Excellent

By on Saturday, June 28, 2014

"I purchased this car 13 years ago. It was a used - one owner car. I have had to spend minimal money and time in repairs over the years. Very reliable and dependable. Next car I purchase will be a Lexus."