• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1997 Lexus LS

9.7

Based on 175 Ratings for the 1995 - 2000 models.

9.7/10
    9.7/10

Better gas mileage than new

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Great steering, power, roomy leather interior"

"I bought the LS400 new in 1998. I now have 147,000 miles and it still averages 23 in the City to 25-28MPG freeway. I was disapointed to find the newer Lexus LS 460 only gets 16MPG city. This model is a keeper. What I love most is the steering...turns on a dime and u-turns are no problem at all. Virtually maintenance free except for oil changes, but plan to spend $1-2K on maintenance and repairs about every other year."

The VERY best auto I ever owned!!

By on Friday, December 07, 2012

Pros: "It's got plenty of "zip" for any kind of driving"

Cons: "What's not to like -- I found no cons"

"I bought this car in 2000 with 33,000 miles on it. It has been garaged the entire time and has one-year old tires, new belts and hoses, drives like a dream and got 27mpg on a recent drive to and from NM mountains. I have used mid-grade gasoline for the past few years with no adverse effects. Regular maintenance has been done and the only un-expected repair was a replacement serpentine belt about a year after it was bought (at a regular scheduled maintenance at the dealer). The car will be sold ONLY because I have recently married and my husband has a new auto and pick-up. I know of no problems with the car; the rear seat has been sat in a dozen times, maybe. The color, silver sage, is a good one and the light grey interior makes for easy cleaning. Overall, this is a great car in very good condition."

THIS IS THE CAR TO BUY

By on Monday, September 05, 2011

Pros: "EVERYTHING"

Cons: "NONE"

"This car has to be the best car made. Luxury and more. I can not find a bad rating anywhere. All ratings I did fine are 4.5 or 5 sop that tells the story. Theare are so many options and the ride is just wonderful. Great resale but who wants to sell? You feel safe in this car and I would drive across country with this car even if it had 1,000,000 miles on it, that is how much I trust the car. if you find one, buy it. I have been driving for 46 years and trust me, nothing is better."

perfection

By on Friday, May 20, 2011

"bought mine at 79000 miles. put in a new timing belt because the manuel said too.Probably didn"t need to.Absolutly best car i have ever owned.Drives like a dream.Long trips are a piece of cake and you feel so secure in it.Have 110000 miles now and it still drives like its brand new.When getting oil changed, have a Toyota dealership do it and save yourself about 50 percent.Unfortuantly,I am now spoiled and will not drive anything but a LS.Do yourself a favor and get one-you will be shocked on how its the perfect car."

1999, LS400

By on Saturday, September 12, 2009

"I have owned this Lexus Ls 400, 1999 since 1/2/01. I have 177,700mi. I have never taken it to the dealer. It is as they say almost bullet proof. I recently had to do some maintenance. ie replaced front struts, andrack and pinion was starting to leak. 40k miles ago I had to replace the hood shocks. At 100K I replaced the timing belt and sparkplugs. $550. That is my major maintenance since 1/2/01. I check my gas mileage at every fill up. The computer is 1mpg off ie to the up side. I average 19 city and 25.3-28.7HWY. @ 75-80mph. I use synthetic oil and change my own oil at 7500mi. If I can ever wear this car out I will buy another used LS430. I had to have a new starter aprox. @140,000mi $750. I use to have a Mercedes 500 and I had thousands of dollars in stupid repair bills before I finally got rild of it. It was a better road car and had better seats. I loved the car but a maintenance nightmare."

The Greatest Car Ever Built

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "Greatest car ever built. Quality, comfort, speed.."

Cons: "Cost of repairs, but they are rare. Buy one."

We named it Rio Silverado. When we got it we partied at The Rio in Vegas.

"I challenge you to read Chester Dawson -The Relentless Pursuit. I am a car freak. I have an internet car show. I drove in car commercials. I owned a restoration shop and raced in SCCA. I love cars, all kinds. But, this one, this one stopped me from buying cars like kids eat chips. It will run Albuquerque to Las Vegas at 90-100mph and get 25-28 with a full house. Its quiet, fast, balanced, and if you care for it, it will be your sanctuary from whatever you do for a living. As was said earlier, if you can find one, buy it now. BTW: Wifey has 189K on her 1999 LS400. Read the book, this IS the greatest car ever build."

We named it Rio Silverado. When we got it we partied at The Rio in Vegas.

By far best vehicle I've ever owned!

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

Pros: "Looks, reliability, comfort"

"I bought my LS400 when it was 2 years old with 30,000 miles on it. It has far exceeded my expectations in every way. The reliability, luxurious ride, classic good looks and easy maintenance have been a pleasure. I will purchase another. After accumulating more than 200,000 miles on it, I still would not hesitate to put it on the road going anywhere. It's just that good."

Most reliable vehicle I ever owned

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Pros: "Reliability amazing. Long drives perfect. Hwy mpg"

Cons: "Handling could be better Expensive repair."

"I bought this car with 104,000 miles on it in 2006 for $12,750. The car had 2 prior owners and it was originally priced at $56,000 brand new. As a general rule, owners take exceptional care of these vehicles. As soon as I bought it, I spent $1800 and had the deep 100,000 mile service performed. This is the key to preserving these vehicles. I had the 200,000 deep service done for $1,000 and it was nice that a local small town mechanic was not intimidated to work on this car. The ride on the highway is unequaled. Many times while on the phone folks could not even tell I was in the car when I was riding down the freeway at 75 mph. As recently as a few months ago, i was getting 26 mpg at or around 65-70 mph. Incredible. Over the 5.5 year period of time that I owned this car, I had one repair for $200. It always starts. Routine maintenance is the key. This is the best value on the market. If the owner has all of the papers showing routine oil changes, etc, I would not hesitate to buy one of these with mileage even close to 200,000. the only downside is that repairs are expensive but I never had any. I am 6-5 and the seats are just incredible."

Best Vehicle I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Great looks and fast"

Cons: "timeing belt evey 65k pricy but worth it"

"Purchased vehicle in 1999 serviced and maintained by professional Lexus mechanic. Best car ever. Continue to drive daily 130 each day and still get 23MPG. Will run with it until it dies, hopefully another 150k. Great motor and comfort."

1998 Lexus LS 400

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"Here's something to watch out for. The Nakamichi sound system is VERY difficult to find parts for. My amp goes out and then comes back. I finally managed to find a used amp on e-Bay but I have not had it put in yet since my current amp is still operating more as opposed to less. The car also surges when you first take off. A "tune up" briefly cured this but now it is back. This is my second LS. Awesome velicle despite the issues above. Plus, a great value compared to buying one new. I've owned LSs for 12 years now, all bought used."

Can't Kill This One

By on Saturday, November 10, 2007

"Traded a top of the line 2000 American car for this '98 LS400 in 2003. Car had less than 38,000 miles then, was maintained by the Lexus book at the same dealer, and came with the certified pre-owned warranty. This LS is used by our office staff and driven daily 300 miles but cleaned weekly and serviced by the rule. 180,000 miles now and never left anyone stranded. My bad experience(s)-Dealer "canned" pitch on service not needed. (RIP OFF) $2100 to replace main keys lost on same trip. (Don't ever let that happen) Over $2000 for starter I was told needed to be replaced. (Car still started and was never a problem but repair was authorized by my assistant when dealer called my office) Summary-Buy pre-owned and certified Lexus vehicles, use the dealer for service until warranty expires at 100K, find an independant and certified Lexus mechanic to avoid unneccasary repairs and try not to tier of a 20 year old car that still functions well every time you need it to. Who wants the new LS anyway? Too mushy, too expensive, looks like all the other Lexus cars, and too much useless gadgetry. I just hope I can find another pre-2001 LS with low mileage."

most reliable and most comfortable ride, safe,

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "what a luxury car should be"

Cons: "dealer maintence is expensive find a good independ"

"I get 20 mpg in town and 26 to 27 on the highway"

This car is simply the best ever made.

By on Monday, September 26, 2011

Pros: "The most dependable car ever owned. A pleasure to drive."

Cons: "Nothing that I can think of."

1999 Lexus LS400

"I have owned many automobiles during the past 60 years. This Lexus is the best overall car I have ever owned and driven. Nothing compares to it."

1999 Lexus LS400

Outstanding!

By on Saturday, May 14, 2011

"Bought my '98 LS400 in 2003. Best car I've ever had! Overall look still stylish today. Smooth, powerful, quiet and handles well for a big sedan. Extremely reliable. Keep fresh fluids in it and pay attention to the maintenance schedule and it's really not pricey to maintain. Over the long haul, a LOT LESS than I'd spend on a comparable Mercedes / BMW. I'm looking into buying a Lexus GX470. My wife asks me how much we'd get for the LX. I tell her zero. I'm never selling this car!"

nice vehicle

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"good riding vehicle, if you take vehicle to dealership for repairs, it will cost you an arm and a leg. go to an independent mechanic for all your repairs, unless you still have warranty on your vehicle. these vehicles will run a long time, but you have to up keep the maintenance! before you buy, see if you can get all the repair record for this vehicle from a lexus dealership, main thing is timing belt replacement at 90k miles. otherwise you have a good vehicle and good gas mileage vehicle, 24 mpg on freeways."

I love this car

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "Everything."

Cons: "The interior color could be better"

"Got it used 2 years ago for $6000. Did the 90,000 mile timing belt replacement. Great reliable comfortable car."

Best Car I have Ever Owned!

By on Sunday, December 02, 2012

Pros: "Sound, reliable, well built dependable car."

Cons: "Small Cup holders"

"I am the original owner of a 1997 LS 400. The car was purchased new in South Carolina and other than routine maintenance every 30K miles and oil changes, brakes and tires, this car has never been in for any repairs. Everything on this car still works. It is as quiet and smooth as it was the day I bought the car 15 years ago. It is driven daily 30 miles round trip and I average 26-27 mpg hwy, 21 mpg city consistently. It calls for "Premium", but I have used midgrade gasoline for all these years with no problems. This car has been driven on very long trips at least 10 times with absolutely no problems. It has also driven over 200 miles to the University our son attended more times than we can count until last year without a hitch. It is RWD, so this car is driven about 9 months per year and usually garaged from Dec-Mar, depending on the weather here in NC. We have yet to see the "Check Engine" light to come on in 15 years. Amazing car."

engineered for 300,000 miles

By on Thursday, August 02, 2007

"never had a problem in 12 years. these cars don't break. After all these years the ride is smooth just like the day it was new, unbelivable."

Incredible

By on Thursday, December 10, 2009

"I have a 96 LS400 that I recently purchased I am totally impressed. I recently sold a MBZ S 420 class that put me in the "poor house" with repairs. I spent over $4k within the past 9 months. Folks go and get yourselves a LEXUS. This car is everything and then some vs. a MBZ. This vehicle responds to your every move on the road. Just maintain the vehicle and it will serve you for a very long time. I have 212k miles on mine and cannot wait to get another 212k out of it. Don't forget get the regular maint. on it , this is a luxury vehicle."

Great Luxury car!

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"Own a 99LS400 for almost 6yrs now. Bought it with 50k miles and it's now at 141k. I'm not the type to keep cars very long but this car has given me no reason to get something different. Excellent reliability and holds value very well too. Great road trip car with good gas mileage for a V-8. 18-27mpg. LS430 will most likely be my next car! I like the look of European luxury cars but I can't overlook the overall value and dependability of Lexus/Toyota cars.."

By on Tuesday, March 17, 2009

COMFORT ,RELIABLE POWERFUL

By on Saturday, July 26, 2008

"BOUGHT MY LEXUS FROM A FRIEND 2 YRS AGO 210K, STILL LOOKS LIKE A BRAND NEW CAR, ALL I'VE DONE IS REGULAR MAINTENCE AND STILL CRUISING AT 245K WITH 20 IN RIMS AND STILL RIDES LIKE A CLOUD, HAD MANY OFFER FROM PEOPLE TO BUY ,SOME PEOPLE CAN'T BELIEVE IT IS A 98, OH ALSO GOOD GAS MILEAGE FOR A CAR BIG 25 TO 27 MPG HWY. AND CAN ACCERLARATE 0 TO 60 IN ABOUT 6 TO7 SEC, I V'E LOVE TO HAVE THOSE STOPLIGHT RACES AND I JUST LOVE THE LOOK IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR AND SEE THE DISTANCE, IF YOU CAN FIND A USED LEXUS IN GOOD MAINTENCE BUY IT YOU WON'T BE SORRY ONLY HAD TO CHANGE THE HOOD SHOCKS AND FAN CLUTCH IN THE 2 PLUS YEARS I HAD THIS PEARL WHITE BEAUTY I PROBABLY NEVER SELL IT"

95 LS400

By on Saturday, April 26, 2008

"Bought a month ago off of ebay for $7900 w/96000 miles.What a great car.Beware though.Parts prices are very high.Timing belt replacement is high too.Budget at least a grand for the 90000 mile service.That said though.It feels like ir will go at least another 100000 miles before I have to lift the hood.Buy parts off ebay.Remote's ,Keys,even got the hood stuts for only $39 off there."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Monday, November 05, 2007

"I purchase a 1998 LS 400 in 2005 with 75,00 miles. The LS400 performed and appeared new then and now. Very Comfortable and it is Smooth and the highway. I get over 28.5 mpg driving between 75-80 mph."

cream puff

By on Thursday, October 25, 2007

"Nice car". my LS 400 has 197000 miles,burns no oil, has no rattles, and It's fast. I PM the car my self useing synthetic oil and I keep my motor clean. At 159000 miles I replace two parts on the front end, powersteering seal, timeing belt, plug wires, plugs and one outside temp probe.My LS has not missed a lick in the last 40,000 miles. With its classic lines, at ten years old it still looks good. I guss you could say, I'm a happy 1997 LS-400 owner."