1997 Lexus LS

9.7

Based on 173 Ratings for the 1995 - 2000 models.

9.7/10
    9.7/10

Better gas mileage than new

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Great steering, power, roomy leather interior"

"I bought the LS400 new in 1998. I now have 147,000 miles and it still averages 23 in the City to 25-28MPG freeway. I was disapointed to find the newer Lexus LS 460 only gets 16MPG city. This model is a keeper. What I love most is the steering...turns on a dime and u-turns are no problem at all. Virtually maintenance free except for oil changes, but plan to spend $1-2K on maintenance and repairs about every other year."

The VERY best auto I ever owned!!

By on Friday, December 07, 2012

Pros: "It's got plenty of "zip" for any kind of driving"

Cons: "What's not to like -- I found no cons"

"I bought this car in 2000 with 33,000 miles on it. It has been garaged the entire time and has one-year old tires, new belts and hoses, drives like a dream and got 27mpg on a recent drive to and from NM mountains. I have used mid-grade gasoline for the past few years with no adverse effects. Regular maintenance has been done and the only un-expected repair was a replacement serpentine belt about a year after it was bought (at a regular scheduled maintenance at the dealer). The car will be sold ONLY because I have recently married and my husband has a new auto and pick-up. I know of no problems with the car; the rear seat has been sat in a dozen times, maybe. The color, silver sage, is a good one and the light grey interior makes for easy cleaning. Overall, this is a great car in very good condition."

THIS IS THE CAR TO BUY

By on Monday, September 05, 2011

Pros: "EVERYTHING"

Cons: "NONE"

"This car has to be the best car made. Luxury and more. I can not find a bad rating anywhere. All ratings I did fine are 4.5 or 5 sop that tells the story. Theare are so many options and the ride is just wonderful. Great resale but who wants to sell? You feel safe in this car and I would drive across country with this car even if it had 1,000,000 miles on it, that is how much I trust the car. if you find one, buy it. I have been driving for 46 years and trust me, nothing is better."

perfection

By on Friday, May 20, 2011

"bought mine at 79000 miles. put in a new timing belt because the manuel said too.Probably didn"t need to.Absolutly best car i have ever owned.Drives like a dream.Long trips are a piece of cake and you feel so secure in it.Have 110000 miles now and it still drives like its brand new.When getting oil changed, have a Toyota dealership do it and save yourself about 50 percent.Unfortuantly,I am now spoiled and will not drive anything but a LS.Do yourself a favor and get one-you will be shocked on how its the perfect car."

1999, LS400

By on Saturday, September 12, 2009

"I have owned this Lexus Ls 400, 1999 since 1/2/01. I have 177,700mi. I have never taken it to the dealer. It is as they say almost bullet proof. I recently had to do some maintenance. ie replaced front struts, andrack and pinion was starting to leak. 40k miles ago I had to replace the hood shocks. At 100K I replaced the timing belt and sparkplugs. $550. That is my major maintenance since 1/2/01. I check my gas mileage at every fill up. The computer is 1mpg off ie to the up side. I average 19 city and 25.3-28.7HWY. @ 75-80mph. I use synthetic oil and change my own oil at 7500mi. If I can ever wear this car out I will buy another used LS430. I had to have a new starter aprox. @140,000mi $750. I use to have a Mercedes 500 and I had thousands of dollars in stupid repair bills before I finally got rild of it. It was a better road car and had better seats. I loved the car but a maintenance nightmare."