• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1996 Lexus LS

9.7

Based on 167 Ratings for the 1995 - 2000 models.

9.7/10
    9.7/10

I love my car!

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "Comfy and never stranded me ever"

Cons: "Expensive replacement parts"

"I bought this car pre-owned at 50,000 miles 16 years ago. It has never stranded me, has no rattles and performs like a V8 should - best car ever made. I have no plans to sell it even though my kids are telling me to buy a new car which I could easily afford. Why should I?I love it and it loves me."

Ahhhh-mazing!

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Pros: "Smooth and comfortable, Great gas mileage for a V8"

Cons: "Not the fastest or Sportiest"

"Man...where do I start. This car is an absolute dream to own. I use to own a 97 ES300 and thought that was great. I sold it with 167000 miles (never broke down) and bought and Audi A6 (worst mistake of my driving life). So after only 6 mos of the Audi ownership and THOUSANDS in repair; I sold it which I took a hefty loss. I went back to my roots: A Lexus. I was skeptical to buy my LS400 with 182000 miles (yes that number is correct), but after my first test drive...I bought it. With almost 200K miles on it, this car rides like you are on clouds. It is so smooth its unbelievable. Test drive one to see for yourself. I just cant explain how smooth the car rides. I swear after 15 years it rides better than most brand new cars. There is not one squeak or shimmy that comes from it. When in the car you literally cannot hear the engine running. The struts glides over bumps as if its on air (I DO NOT have air ride; Mine has regular struts). The seats are so big and comfy, The sound systems plays great, the navigation works flawless, and the interior is just plain luxurious. It is not the most fun car to drive so don't expect sporty handling or a turbo engine. But apart from that, the car is wonderful!. Currently I have 187K on it, and it has never broken down, everything still works. I do expect the repairs to be a lil higher (still cheaper than an Audi), but expect repairs to be very far and few in between. If you see one that is well maintained, RUN and GET IT! This car will never disappoint you. Did I mention this tank of a vehicle gets between 20-30 MPG....Well It does!"

Excellent

By on Saturday, June 28, 2014

"I purchased this car 13 years ago. It was a used - one owner car. I have had to spend minimal money and time in repairs over the years. Very reliable and dependable. Next car I purchase will be a Lexus."

Dependable luxury

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pros: "Safe reliable smooth and quiet"

"The most reliable and safe vehicle ever made. These cars will easily go 300,000 miles or more if maintained properly. Quite a history in the development of this automobile. It would be very hard to own any other brand of car since driving this one. My 1997 Lexus LS400 is 17 years old and drives like brand new. I cant believe how silent, smooth, and well built it is. Even the motor mounts are liquid filled. My advice is to try to buy from an original owner. You can be assured they took well care of it. This car sold for over $53,000.00 when new. I paid $5,200.00 when it had 102,000 miles and 15 years old."

none better for the price

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "reliable & comfortable if kept up"

Cons: "pricey up front-long term=no"

"Dollar for dollar we don't think there is a better car for the price. With 272K miles, it still drives and handles almost like new. All upkeep and work done at dealership. I've always done all my car work myself... before this one. These newer cars need too much special tools and knowledge for a home garage mechanic. The only other car we'd consider would be an Audi. For a not so high end car, a VW would be our nest choice. Checked Consumer's year end auto buyer's guide and owner's survey results for reliability and repair frequency; Toyota and Honda beat all...BMW's and Mercedes' are only average or below in most categories."