1993 Lexus LS

9.3

Based on 132 Ratings for the 1992 - 1994 models.

Don't even consider another car

By on Thursday, March 26, 2009

"Lets just do a walk into the history of this car. My mom first bought this car in 1991 and drove it everyday on the highway to get to work or to go out. After 250000 miles in 2000, it was turned over to my older sister and she used it from 2000 to 2005 just about everyday and did not take care of it, but it still worked just fine. Then in 2005 at 320000 miles it was turned over to me and I had to fix small things, but nothing major. Drove it to un'till 2007 and at about 360000 I was in an auto accident were a guy ran a red light and totaled both cars(his was a lifted up truck). But here is the kicker, not only did the airbag work, but the car saved my life because the car has a steel-frame and stopped the guy's truck from pushing the engine futher into the windshield. How. Because his tires bounced off the steel-frame, causing the whole truck to bounce backward. Hows that for a car?"

First Lexus Sold in Kansas City

By on Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"I purchased this vehicle in late '89 with every option for just over $40K, and it was the first Lexus sold by Superior Lexus. I still own it and it has never required any significant repair. Clearly over-engineered and built like a tank. The rotors have been replaced several times, the power steering hose started leaking and it was $400 in '07, and the plastic rear door handle broke when someone (kids) pulled too hard on it when the car was frozen shut. But, with >20 years of use and normal maintenance, nothing significant has had to be replaced/ repaired, not even the exhaust system, and it still runs and looks great. No rust. And, for a 4L V8, I still get over 20 mpg with plenty of power and a super smooth transmission. I've known many others that have owned this LS400 model and have never heard of any problems. I've had 3 teenage daughters drive it through their high school years also, and it has survived their rough driving styles. This has to be the pinnacle of reliability and value. The few things that could have been better designed include the LCD temperature control display that has started to cloud, and the brakes could be larger/ improved for the weight/ size of the car. I may finally have to pay for front end work on the suspension (maybe just bushings?) since I've developed a bit of a rattle there. But hey, what other vehicle could run/ keep this well for so long? I'm confident there's no other vehicle with a better track record. Question is, how much longer will my wife let me keep it? It might outlast her! :-)"

BIG SMOOTH

By on Thursday, June 12, 2008

"i WRECKED MY HONDA ACCORD, AND I WAS TIRED OF RIDING IN SMALL CARS. DID MY RESEARCH AND CAME ACROSS THE LEXUS 400 AS BEING VERY RELIABLE. I BROUGHT ONE IN FEB FROM A PRIVATE OWNER . VEHICLE WAS SUPER CLEAN WITH 107,000 MILES. FROM DAY 1 I HAVE BEEN IMPRESSED, SMOOTH QUIET AND POWERFUL. I WAS SHOCKED BY THE GAS MILEAGE. IT HAS A 22.5 GALLON TANK, STAY OFF THE GAS AND DRIVE IN THE NORMAL MODE AND YOU CAN GET OVER 510 MILES ON A TANK. I HAVE OWNED ALOT OF VEHICLES, THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST. MY WIFE HAS AN 01 MERC. E320. SHE HAS CONCEEDED THAT THE 94 LEXUS IS JUST BETTER. PLUS THE BENZ STAYS IN THE SHOP. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR IF YOU NEED A STRONG 2ND DEPENABLE CAR GET A LEXUS LS 400. HAVE IT SERVICED AT A TOYOTA DEALERSHIP AND SAVE MONEY OR GO TO A LEXUS DEALER AND PAY MORE ,BUT GET TREATED LIKE ROYALTY. EUROPEAN CARS ARE JUST NOT AS DEPENDABLE AS LEXUS"

Love my baby!

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "comfort, style, reliability"

Cons: "few repairs but all are pricey!"

"I purchased the original model year LS400 in 1990. I loved it then. Love it now. Only when someone talking on a cell phone failed to look up and see traffic was stopped did I make a change. My beautiful, mint condition 1990 was in pieces and I was relatively unhurt. (The CHP said they had never seen a fatality in a Lexus) I searched and searched for a 1990 but couldn't find one and settle for 1993. My new baby is every bit as comfortable but even with low mileage (122k) she is starting to have problems. The sun roof leaks, I need a major repair to a part of the exhaust system which is right behind the firewall and takes massive amounts of labor, the stereo has gone out, it has the classic early LS400 electrical problem that causes loss of lighting in the dash.... an I still want to keep her! It's hard to drop more money in to a car than the car is worth but I live in a downtown area and don't drive that much so until she just gives out, I'm keeping her - and mostly happily tucked away in my small garage where that beautiful, long stretched line that I will always love fits by one inch! FWIW - anyone who has back pain problems needs this car. The driver's seat is the only place I can sit without pain. I have always said it's like driving a barcalounger that will be over 120mph quickly of you don't pay attention. FYI - Nakamishi sound system was well worth the price!"

Best riding vehicle that I have experienced

By on Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pros: "smooth ride, maintenance is affordable"

Cons: "power steering went out on the car"

"the Lexus offers a very smooth ride in the city and over the road. The maintenance was affordable and as long as this car is maintained (oil change, brakes, rotors, and tires), it will never let you down. It was worth every penny I spent on it. The only major problem that I had was the power steering had a leek and had to be replaced and the labor was more than the parts. I would definitely get another Lexus!"

Dream Ride

By on Thursday, March 19, 2009

"I have a 1990 LS400 with 260,000 miles on it. I replaced the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, o-rings. Basically done the full timing belt service at the dealer. Trust me this car is worth every penny. This was the only investment I made on the car and do not have any other expense on this car. You never need to worry about anything. Having the car for 1 year and just changed oil and the car drives like a dream. Its the most reliable vehicle and will never leave you stranded. Moreover, this engine is a non-interference engine meaning when the timing belt breaks, there will not be any harm to the engine. The best engine design compared to other cars in the world. Also I am a daily commuter and get 400+ miles on a 20gallon (mixed downtown and freeway driving). I would keep the car forever and don't even consider any car other than a LS400. This cars lifespan if 500,000miles and I would keep it till it dis-mantles. Its the most value for money vehicle. You can also use it as a sports sedan. It gives good pickup when you can turn on the performance mode for this vehicle. Best car for all times and very economical for the pocket."

Wouldn't trade it!

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"I have had my Lexus LS400 for over 5 years and I can't begin to tell you what a great car this is! It is by far the nicest car you will see or drive for its age. Very little has been done to it. You will not regret getting this car if you can find one! I have toyed around with getting a newer car and every one I have driven doesn't compare to my Lexus...I plan on keeping mine for quite some time."

By on Friday, January 2, 2009

"Lexus first introduced this car in 1989, releasing it as the 1990 Lexus LS400. 8% of it's sales that year were from BMW and Mercedes buying them, trying to figure out how Lexus did it. It is indeed a great car. I don't care about gas mileage really, but I can get 24/25mpg on the highway, with a V8! The engine is completely silent. Not as powerful as other cars I own, but still an excellent engine nonetheless. The styling is somewhat timeless, as it still looks great today parked next to my other modern-day cars. I use mine as a daily driver, and while I don't get on the gas that much in this car, it still does a great job for 260hp in a 4000lbs car. The 0-60 is around 7 to 7.5 sec. The car is extremely technologically advanced for the time period it was produced, as many luxury cars (cough cough BMW) are just catching on to a few of the gadgets that are available in this 15-year-old vehicle. I paid $3500 for my LS400, in great condition. Sure, gas was $4.50/gal at the time, so the V8 didn't help it's resale value, but I got a great deal on it. I believe this car sells for that range now. If you have the money and are interested, ignore the 7-Series, S-Class, and Legend... get the LS400- you won't be disappointed."

One of the Greatest Vehicles ever built

By on Saturday, May 17, 2008

"The first generation of Lexus LS 400'S, particularly 1993 & 1994, are one of the greatest automobiles ever built. If you can find one with reletively low mileage grab it. Extremely reliable, luxurious and quiet ride, like riding in a very quiet Jet."

Best Vehicle I've ever owned

By on Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pros: "Very safe, Very reliable and a great value"

Cons: "the styling of the car could be better"

"I've owned this car for 17 years. I put a lot of miles on all of my cars but I keep them clean and well maintained. This car is undoubtedly the best car I've owned. It runs well and I've done very little in terms of maintenance beyond the normal preventive maintenance. When I bought the car it was the quietest car I had ever been in. Over the years I hear more creeks and interior noises but when I test drive other cars looking to replace my LS very few of them are as quiet. Now I'm curious how long it will go. I'm going to try for 500K miles. Great vehicle."