1993 Lexus LS

9.3

Based on 132 Ratings for the 1992 - 1994 models.

Don't even consider another car

By on Thursday, March 26, 2009

"Lets just do a walk into the history of this car. My mom first bought this car in 1991 and drove it everyday on the highway to get to work or to go out. After 250000 miles in 2000, it was turned over to my older sister and she used it from 2000 to 2005 just about everyday and did not take care of it, but it still worked just fine. Then in 2005 at 320000 miles it was turned over to me and I had to fix small things, but nothing major. Drove it to un'till 2007 and at about 360000 I was in an auto accident were a guy ran a red light and totaled both cars(his was a lifted up truck). But here is the kicker, not only did the airbag work, but the car saved my life because the car has a steel-frame and stopped the guy's truck from pushing the engine futher into the windshield. How. Because his tires bounced off the steel-frame, causing the whole truck to bounce backward. Hows that for a car?"

First Lexus Sold in Kansas City

By on Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"I purchased this vehicle in late '89 with every option for just over $40K, and it was the first Lexus sold by Superior Lexus. I still own it and it has never required any significant repair. Clearly over-engineered and built like a tank. The rotors have been replaced several times, the power steering hose started leaking and it was $400 in '07, and the plastic rear door handle broke when someone (kids) pulled too hard on it when the car was frozen shut. But, with >20 years of use and normal maintenance, nothing significant has had to be replaced/ repaired, not even the exhaust system, and it still runs and looks great. No rust. And, for a 4L V8, I still get over 20 mpg with plenty of power and a super smooth transmission. I've known many others that have owned this LS400 model and have never heard of any problems. I've had 3 teenage daughters drive it through their high school years also, and it has survived their rough driving styles. This has to be the pinnacle of reliability and value. The few things that could have been better designed include the LCD temperature control display that has started to cloud, and the brakes could be larger/ improved for the weight/ size of the car. I may finally have to pay for front end work on the suspension (maybe just bushings?) since I've developed a bit of a rattle there. But hey, what other vehicle could run/ keep this well for so long? I'm confident there's no other vehicle with a better track record. Question is, how much longer will my wife let me keep it? It might outlast her! :-)"

BIG SMOOTH

By on Thursday, June 12, 2008

"i WRECKED MY HONDA ACCORD, AND I WAS TIRED OF RIDING IN SMALL CARS. DID MY RESEARCH AND CAME ACROSS THE LEXUS 400 AS BEING VERY RELIABLE. I BROUGHT ONE IN FEB FROM A PRIVATE OWNER . VEHICLE WAS SUPER CLEAN WITH 107,000 MILES. FROM DAY 1 I HAVE BEEN IMPRESSED, SMOOTH QUIET AND POWERFUL. I WAS SHOCKED BY THE GAS MILEAGE. IT HAS A 22.5 GALLON TANK, STAY OFF THE GAS AND DRIVE IN THE NORMAL MODE AND YOU CAN GET OVER 510 MILES ON A TANK. I HAVE OWNED ALOT OF VEHICLES, THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST. MY WIFE HAS AN 01 MERC. E320. SHE HAS CONCEEDED THAT THE 94 LEXUS IS JUST BETTER. PLUS THE BENZ STAYS IN THE SHOP. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR IF YOU NEED A STRONG 2ND DEPENABLE CAR GET A LEXUS LS 400. HAVE IT SERVICED AT A TOYOTA DEALERSHIP AND SAVE MONEY OR GO TO A LEXUS DEALER AND PAY MORE ,BUT GET TREATED LIKE ROYALTY. EUROPEAN CARS ARE JUST NOT AS DEPENDABLE AS LEXUS"

Best riding vehicle that I have experienced

By on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Pros: "smooth ride, maintenance is affordable"

Cons: "power steering went out on the car"

"the Lexus offers a very smooth ride in the city and over the road. The maintenance was affordable and as long as this car is maintained (oil change, brakes, rotors, and tires), it will never let you down. It was worth every penny I spent on it. The only major problem that I had was the power steering had a leek and had to be replaced and the labor was more than the parts. I would definitely get another Lexus!"

Love my baby!

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "comfort, style, reliability"

Cons: "few repairs but all are pricey!"

"I purchased the original model year LS400 in 1990. I loved it then. Love it now. Only when someone talking on a cell phone failed to look up and see traffic was stopped did I make a change. My beautiful, mint condition 1990 was in pieces and I was relatively unhurt. (The CHP said they had never seen a fatality in a Lexus) I searched and searched for a 1990 but couldn't find one and settle for 1993. My new baby is every bit as comfortable but even with low mileage (122k) she is starting to have problems. The sun roof leaks, I need a major repair to a part of the exhaust system which is right behind the firewall and takes massive amounts of labor, the stereo has gone out, it has the classic early LS400 electrical problem that causes loss of lighting in the dash.... an I still want to keep her! It's hard to drop more money in to a car than the car is worth but I live in a downtown area and don't drive that much so until she just gives out, I'm keeping her - and mostly happily tucked away in my small garage where that beautiful, long stretched line that I will always love fits by one inch! FWIW - anyone who has back pain problems needs this car. The driver's seat is the only place I can sit without pain. I have always said it's like driving a barcalounger that will be over 120mph quickly of you don't pay attention. FYI - Nakamishi sound system was well worth the price!"