2005 Lexus IS

9.5

Based on 250 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

9.7/10
    9.7/10

Great Entry Level Luxury Sports Sedan

By on Friday, November 18, 2011

Pros: "engine, power, reliability, styling"

Cons: "cup holders, backseat"

"I bought this car in 2006 and have loved driving it for five years. The drive quality is top notch and rivals the sporty driving profile of a BMW 3 Series, but for much cheaper. The 215hp engine gives it plenty of power for how light the car is. The RWD is a major advantage over FWD sport sedans like the Acura TL because you don't get any torque steer. Also, with the I-6 engine, you get a ton of low end torque which really helps accelerating from a complete stop. Standard HID headlights are great too The seats are comfortable and give you plenty of room in the front (I'm 5'11 and fit in fine). The backseat is very cramped though, so this is not a good family car. The quality of the leather is good. It is almost 8 years old and no cracking, tearing, or noticeable fading of the leather (I do clean/condition it at least twice a year though). The stock premium stereo has good sound quality, but lacks thumping bass like newer premium stereos have. The backlights behind my stereo unit are spotty though. I had a grouping of buttons that had the backlight flicker for a while and now doesn't turn on, but they were not heaving used buttons. As long as you perform the scheduled maintenance (find a good 3rd party mechanic), it will run great and a long time. This is one of Lexus's most reliable cars according to consumer reports. A great aspect of this car is that it still turns heads after 8 years. The styling is somewhat unique and they are rare to find on the road."

Well built car, little maintance required

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "Looks, build quality, driving experience, comfort"

Cons: "fuel GPM could be better for light small engine 26"

"I love this car because even with the miles on it, it is still just so solid in feel. Its a well built car with quality put into every part in it, except the radio but everyone of these cars has had it replaced by now. Even the factory shocks are original and only now are they STARTING to show that there getting a little lose."

12 Years... Still makes me happy...EVERYDAY

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

"This is the perfect drivers car for balance between power, braking, handling, and all around feel. I have beaten on this car since day one and it never complains or breaks, it just happily does everything you ask of it. Best car for any money, period!"

Awesome Car

By on Tuesday, February 07, 2012

"I have owned this car for 12 years and have had no major problems. Usual maintenance was done every 20,000 miles and am very pleased with it."

I love this car. It has never broke down.

By on Thursday, February 02, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive. Handles great."

Cons: "Sucks in the snow."

"I have had this car since it had 50k. The only thing I have had to do to it was routine maintenance. I did the timing belt, water pump, etc job myself to save money. The only thing I don't like about it is that parts are expensive and to have a shop work on the car is expensive. Other know problems i have heard of are the rear main seals leak and the power steering pumps go out. Overall great car!"