2004 Lexus IS

9.5

Based on 249 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

9.7/10
    9.7/10

worth the wait

By on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"I bought my 2005 is300 in '08(used with only 21k miles) after searching for over a year for the right one. They are hard to find but it was the only car that I ever test drove that felt just right and I am very, very, very picky about how a car drives and this one passed this test for me everytime I test drove it (5 times). I owned the car and truly enjoyed it for a year and a half before a job loss forced me to sell it at 33k miles. I planned on keeping this car for 10 years and regret that the plan changed. I am driving my old 94Celica that I kept just in case I lost my job, which ended up being a blessing (it stayed parked in the garage when I owned the IS300 of course) One thing, I do not miss the high insurance of the is300, its rated as one of the most expensive sedans cost-wise to insure and my driving record and credit is flawless. I paid $95/month full coverage and other cars would have been $45/mo. I hope to own another well cared for is300 well cared in the future if I need a spare car for commuting. I need a crossover type car to tote yard supplies, bicycles, etc. The car is the best driving vehicle I've ever owned.I wished the gas mileage was a little better at times and the lack of a folding rear seat was missed when I occasionally needed it. The engine, transmission and suspension were superb. The radio was also suprisingly distortion free and powerful sounding for a 6speaker system. Tires can be expensive for this vehicle and with a Z rating will usually last only 25k miles with moderate driving habits, and it's hard to be just moderately drive it as it always begs to have some fun. I miss you my charcoal is300"

Great car - '05 5-speed Manual

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"The IS300 is without a doubt a unique car that will keep looking good and performing great for a long time to come. It's proven to be way more reliable than the german competitors and probably performs at 95% of a bmw. Reliability means a lot. The car handles like nothing I've ever driven. It's very smooth and scary fast when you want it to be. Braking is awesome too, stops really quick and securely. Since day one I've said this car needs a 6th gear with the manual because on the highway at 75-80 mph the car is revving at about 3500 rpm in 5th gear. I guess in a way it's cool though because at that rpm you have power on reserve instantly if you need to pass anyone. The back seat is tiny at best, so don't plan on this 4-door being a 4 passenger tranport often. The front seats are comfy and std stereo system is great. As far as winter in CT goes, I bought some blizzaks and made it through everything, just need to know how to drive a bit and not freak out when the tail slides out. Lexus service is getting WAY too expensive for the routine stuff, so BMW's free maintenance is looking pretty attractive. With the new IS250 and 350 here, the IS300 loses out in styling, but you just can't go wrong picking up a certified pre-owned one. I hope to keep mine for a long time."

Best Car I have owned

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Reliability, Fun"

Cons: "Smaller cabin, expensive routine maintenance"

"By far the most reliable luxusry car I have had (comparing with BMW, Jaguar, Volvo, Audi). Regular maintenance is expensive if you take it to the dealership, but I have not had anything start to wear out until I hit the 180k mile mark @ 10 years old. Materials used in the IS300 are much more luxurious and of higher quality than the current IS 250/350 models offer. It feels just as fast and fun to drive as a BMW, although if you look at the specs it is actually a slower 0-60 time. It is very nimble and small enough to make driving in heavy traffic easy. Does well in the snow, I have taken it all over the colorado mountains in winter and have never had any problems. Only downside is if your over 6'2" tall. I am 5'10" and my head is only an inch from the ceiling."

Best car that I have owned!!!!

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive!"

Cons: "child car seats don't fit well."

"I bought this car new and have had it 6 years now and I have not had any problems with it! It is very compfy and no blind spots! I love my car! I don't know why they changed the body style."

Love this Car

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun performance sleeper"

Cons: "The back seat is a little on the small side."

"I began checking this car out the second year they were sold in the US (2002) and I loved it, but at the time I was a college student making 0 dollars and couldn't afford one. A few years later I ran across a pristine model that had been owned (for some reason) since new by a little old couple that really only used the car to travel to see their relatives in NV during the summer. The car had extremely low miles and was in perfect shape except for a couple rock chips on the hood. The car is bullet proof Toyota reliability and is just so much more fun to drive than most anything I've owned in the past. Plus some simple mods and the motor is now doing well over 250HP before even thinking of adding a turbo or really breaking open the motor. The I6 used to be the Supra motor and was built tough. This car is a sporty sleeper thanks to the Lexus badge on it. No one out of the know would ever even look at this car twice until it blows by them. The shine of this car is in the drive. Take it to your favorite twistys and you'll never want to leave. It comfortably seats 4 if not over 6 feet in back and still returns 28 MGP on the highway if you keep your foot out of it."