2004 Lexus IS

9.5

Based on 249 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

9.7/10
    9.7/10

Crushed to part with her

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "Crazy value. Blast to drive."

Cons: ""Chronograph" speedo dial layout. Pretty annoying."

"I have been extremely happy with this car. Bought at 179K miles, still sounds lovely at 203K. Interior comfortable, controls/shifter/radio all so handy and intuitively placed. Stock speakers are impressive. Torque is fantastic. Tons of fun, especially freeway/passing. Wants a lot of caution in rain/snow, because she'll be out of control quick. Handling is wonderful. Wears tires fairly quickly. Xenon headlights are awesome. Gas mileage as advertised. I'd recommend the car to anyone."

Really great car

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pros: "Attractive luxury and sporty ride"

Cons: "Nothing important enough to mention!"

myIS

"What is not to like about a 2JZ inline six packed into a sleek four door that offers the right amount of sport and luxury to keep you comfortable and stylish. Turns on a dime and has nice solid suspension. I wish they had made it an option to get a twin turbo version but other than that, and a few other very small things, I have no other complaints."

myIS

Great little car

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

"Great package - nice looking design (inside/outside), rear wheel dynamics, nice ride quality. Nice torque from the inline 6. Not too flashy, but enough to be fun. A bit noisy - wind and road. Old school tech. Overall, very reliable car - in terms of motor, electronics, etc... but can be expensive for big ticket items - timing belt, shock/struts, etc."

Poor gas mileage. Good power and handling.

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "power, handling, style"

Cons: "mileage, room"

"Peppy performance and good braking. No room in back seat. Small trunk. Comfortable on long rides. Nice styling. Poor performance in snow."

First car, first love!

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "Runs great, well made, comfortable, fun!"

Cons: "Expensive parts and maintenance"

"This is the first car I ever bought on my own and I love everything about it! I still get compliments on it even though its almost 12 years old and it still drives like a charm! The interior is still in perfect condition after living at the beach for 5 years. My only complaint and the reason I'm thinking of selling is that it is soooo expensive to repair. I've been told that the engine will be great for at least 200,000 more miles but the thought of the upkeep and maintenance as the vehicle ages is daunting. If you can afford the expensive maintenance then this car is definitely worth every penny!"

RWD at its finest.

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

Pros: "quick and sexy."

Cons: "cup holders don't do much."

"Fun, Comfy, and stylish all in one. Very fun to drive whip the rear end out. I have a 5 speed which is a must. Just wish it had more power really. But still one of my favorite cars."

Funnest car I've ever owned and driven

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Reason: Needed bigger

Pros: "Sporty workhorse"

"I bought my IS-300 9 years ago as a certified pre-owned Lexus, with 45K miles on it. I had only 3 notable service issues with the car over 9 years. Two of these repairs were covered by the extended warranty and the third was a 120K mile shape-up (brakes, timing belt, a sensor, struts/shocks). I bought a new car - as I needed something bigger - but miss driving the IS-300 every day. When I sold it - the engine still ran like the day I got it and it loved to purr, accelerate, and corner."

Well built car, little maintance required

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "Looks, build quality, driving experience, comfort"

Cons: "fuel GPM could be better for light small engine 26"

"I love this car because even with the miles on it, it is still just so solid in feel. Its a well built car with quality put into every part in it, except the radio but everyone of these cars has had it replaced by now. Even the factory shocks are original and only now are they STARTING to show that there getting a little lose."

Great used car Value//Fun to drive

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "performance, value, reliability"

Cons: "gas mileage, limited cargo space"

"I have owned 2 Lexus IS300s. The first was a 2005 and then a 2002 I currently drive. I feel safe and confident driving this car. It is not very big on the inside but still comfortable. It does not have folding rear seats so you are limited in what you can do at the home improvement store. The inline 6 cylinder is powerful and very smooth, the automatic transmission shifts wonderfully. The gas mileage is only fair for a fairly light weight car, at best 16-17city and 23-26 hwy w/ premium fuel. I enjoy the confidence of this car"s performance enough to make the gas mileage a minor gripe. I only put 7,000 miles per year on the vehicle. Everything has held up wonderfully on this car, cosmetically and mechanically. No issues found in this 11 year old car, other than a blown rear speaker (ps. I have really enjoyed the factory 6cd sound system) These make wonderful great used car values for someone that is neither particalar on gas mileage or needing a lot of cargo space. I bought mine for $10,000 2 year ago with 121,000miles and plan on selling in about a year from now for $7000. They keep their value, and toyota can take care of most maintenance and repairs. Great Value!! Very enjoyable to drive!!"

Getting fed up with this thing

By on Saturday, February 02, 2013

Pros: "Runs, drives and holds up flawlessly"

Cons: "Mediocre gas mileage and it won't quit"

"Over ten years and I'm getting tired of it and want a new car. The Sportcross fits everything I need to carry, it handles like nothing else I've test driven and, with the exception of one oxygen sensor, has been fault free. I can't find a replacement that's not a downgrade and I'm getting really fed up."

Favorite car I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

"I have had my is300 for 8 years now and it still looks the same as the day I bought it. Never any problems. Interior has shown no sign of wear. I can't tell you how nice it's been to have a such a reliable, good looking car for this many years. I've only had to do regular maintenance and it drives like new."

Best Car I have owned

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Reliability, Fun"

Cons: "Smaller cabin, expensive routine maintenance"

"By far the most reliable luxusry car I have had (comparing with BMW, Jaguar, Volvo, Audi). Regular maintenance is expensive if you take it to the dealership, but I have not had anything start to wear out until I hit the 180k mile mark @ 10 years old. Materials used in the IS300 are much more luxurious and of higher quality than the current IS 250/350 models offer. It feels just as fast and fun to drive as a BMW, although if you look at the specs it is actually a slower 0-60 time. It is very nimble and small enough to make driving in heavy traffic easy. Does well in the snow, I have taken it all over the colorado mountains in winter and have never had any problems. Only downside is if your over 6'2" tall. I am 5'10" and my head is only an inch from the ceiling."

12 Years... Still makes me happy...EVERYDAY

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

"This is the perfect drivers car for balance between power, braking, handling, and all around feel. I have beaten on this car since day one and it never complains or breaks, it just happily does everything you ask of it. Best car for any money, period!"

Great zippy car

By on Monday, October 01, 2012

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Bad gas milage"

"Great car owned it for 11 years and will never give it up. It's a great car to modify. It's looks like a Japanese anime car. Drive is jittery and restless which fits the cars driving personality. Never had any serious issues in 11 years and still have the same brakes on it! Very reliable and styling is better than the obtuse current model. I never liked the new IS."

very good car!great handling.great breaking.overal

By on Friday, July 27, 2012

"overall a very good car"

love it

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

"love it"

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "All"

Cons: "Nothing"

"One of the best car I have ever had."

This is only my 2nd Car! Such a GREAT car!

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "Quick pick up"

Cons: "Only 2 cup holders."

"I first fell for this car when it came out and it was the first to have those round rear lights! I thought it had a handsome profile and clean sharp details like the drive Shift ball being silver and cool pedals! My first car was a '89 CRX new-it lasted me 13 years(bought it in "88)! I decided I should update and thought this car would be equally worthy! It has met my expectations. When a car is mostly built in Japan I notice a LONG life, just like my first car. Last SMOG check the people couldn't believe it "passed as if it was a brand new car!" Car seats are kinda tricky in this car but not really that difficult. It's been an awesome car for the last 10-11 years now! Wow! Totally recommend it. Tight steering. Easy to park in the city. "Zippy" is the best description for this car! Great car for Day to Day and Long Trips down I-5!"

Best car that I have owned!!!!

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive!"

Cons: "child car seats don't fit well."

"I bought this car new and have had it 6 years now and I have not had any problems with it! It is very compfy and no blind spots! I love my car! I don't know why they changed the body style."

Awesome Car

By on Tuesday, February 07, 2012

"I have owned this car for 12 years and have had no major problems. Usual maintenance was done every 20,000 miles and am very pleased with it."

I love this car. It has never broke down.

By on Thursday, February 02, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive. Handles great."

Cons: "Sucks in the snow."

"I have had this car since it had 50k. The only thing I have had to do to it was routine maintenance. I did the timing belt, water pump, etc job myself to save money. The only thing I don't like about it is that parts are expensive and to have a shop work on the car is expensive. Other know problems i have heard of are the rear main seals leak and the power steering pumps go out. Overall great car!"

Best car so far

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, quiet, lots of fun to drive, reliabl"

Cons: "too few cup holders, no longer made."

"I really like this car. So far besides routine maintenance all I have had to fix is the stereo and the solenoid operating the door lock on the driver's door. The power to weight ratio is surprisingly good for a four door sedan. It is a bit too tightly sprung for my wife's taste but the cornering is superb. After 11 years I can not detect any deterioration in performance. The seats are grippy which causes them to wear faster than slick leather but tires are like that too. It is a trade off. I will have to get new upholstery on the driver's side in another five years or so."

Love this Car

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun performance sleeper"

Cons: "The back seat is a little on the small side."

"I began checking this car out the second year they were sold in the US (2002) and I loved it, but at the time I was a college student making 0 dollars and couldn't afford one. A few years later I ran across a pristine model that had been owned (for some reason) since new by a little old couple that really only used the car to travel to see their relatives in NV during the summer. The car had extremely low miles and was in perfect shape except for a couple rock chips on the hood. The car is bullet proof Toyota reliability and is just so much more fun to drive than most anything I've owned in the past. Plus some simple mods and the motor is now doing well over 250HP before even thinking of adding a turbo or really breaking open the motor. The I6 used to be the Supra motor and was built tough. This car is a sporty sleeper thanks to the Lexus badge on it. No one out of the know would ever even look at this car twice until it blows by them. The shine of this car is in the drive. Take it to your favorite twistys and you'll never want to leave. It comfortably seats 4 if not over 6 feet in back and still returns 28 MGP on the highway if you keep your foot out of it."

I love my car

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"Everything about my is300 is awesome! I recommend this car to anyone who is smart enough to buy one! Low maintenance is awesome!"

Very nice!

By on Monday, January 09, 2012

Pros: "Styleish, fast"

Cons: "Small cabin, rwd, not good in snow"

"I bought the car brand spankin new in the showroom on august 2001. I love the car but for a new family its not great. The back seat is small and me being a 5'9" i have to drive with the seat somewhat back. The car is fun to drive especially once performance parts (intake, exhaust, suspension) are done. Its perfect for a single guy/lady or as a liesure car but not for a family. Also replacement parts and maintenece is VERY expensive. Also the car slips on a bit of flurry so forget abut driving it in the snow. (rwd) As much as its hurting me to even think abut it, i will be trafing the car in or selling it soon."