2003 Lexus IS

9.5

Based on 249 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

9.7/10
    9.7/10

Love this Car

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun performance sleeper"

Cons: "The back seat is a little on the small side."

"I began checking this car out the second year they were sold in the US (2002) and I loved it, but at the time I was a college student making 0 dollars and couldn't afford one. A few years later I ran across a pristine model that had been owned (for some reason) since new by a little old couple that really only used the car to travel to see their relatives in NV during the summer. The car had extremely low miles and was in perfect shape except for a couple rock chips on the hood. The car is bullet proof Toyota reliability and is just so much more fun to drive than most anything I've owned in the past. Plus some simple mods and the motor is now doing well over 250HP before even thinking of adding a turbo or really breaking open the motor. The I6 used to be the Supra motor and was built tough. This car is a sporty sleeper thanks to the Lexus badge on it. No one out of the know would ever even look at this car twice until it blows by them. The shine of this car is in the drive. Take it to your favorite twistys and you'll never want to leave. It comfortably seats 4 if not over 6 feet in back and still returns 28 MGP on the highway if you keep your foot out of it."

Great Entry Level Luxury Sports Sedan

By on Friday, November 18, 2011

Pros: "engine, power, reliability, styling"

Cons: "cup holders, backseat"

"I bought this car in 2006 and have loved driving it for five years. The drive quality is top notch and rivals the sporty driving profile of a BMW 3 Series, but for much cheaper. The 215hp engine gives it plenty of power for how light the car is. The RWD is a major advantage over FWD sport sedans like the Acura TL because you don't get any torque steer. Also, with the I-6 engine, you get a ton of low end torque which really helps accelerating from a complete stop. Standard HID headlights are great too The seats are comfortable and give you plenty of room in the front (I'm 5'11 and fit in fine). The backseat is very cramped though, so this is not a good family car. The quality of the leather is good. It is almost 8 years old and no cracking, tearing, or noticeable fading of the leather (I do clean/condition it at least twice a year though). The stock premium stereo has good sound quality, but lacks thumping bass like newer premium stereos have. The backlights behind my stereo unit are spotty though. I had a grouping of buttons that had the backlight flicker for a while and now doesn't turn on, but they were not heaving used buttons. As long as you perform the scheduled maintenance (find a good 3rd party mechanic), it will run great and a long time. This is one of Lexus's most reliable cars according to consumer reports. A great aspect of this car is that it still turns heads after 8 years. The styling is somewhat unique and they are rare to find on the road."

Well built car, little maintance required

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "Looks, build quality, driving experience, comfort"

Cons: "fuel GPM could be better for light small engine 26"

"I love this car because even with the miles on it, it is still just so solid in feel. Its a well built car with quality put into every part in it, except the radio but everyone of these cars has had it replaced by now. Even the factory shocks are original and only now are they STARTING to show that there getting a little lose."

Best Car I have owned

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Reliability, Fun"

Cons: "Smaller cabin, expensive routine maintenance"

"By far the most reliable luxusry car I have had (comparing with BMW, Jaguar, Volvo, Audi). Regular maintenance is expensive if you take it to the dealership, but I have not had anything start to wear out until I hit the 180k mile mark @ 10 years old. Materials used in the IS300 are much more luxurious and of higher quality than the current IS 250/350 models offer. It feels just as fast and fun to drive as a BMW, although if you look at the specs it is actually a slower 0-60 time. It is very nimble and small enough to make driving in heavy traffic easy. Does well in the snow, I have taken it all over the colorado mountains in winter and have never had any problems. Only downside is if your over 6'2" tall. I am 5'10" and my head is only an inch from the ceiling."

12 Years... Still makes me happy...EVERYDAY

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

"This is the perfect drivers car for balance between power, braking, handling, and all around feel. I have beaten on this car since day one and it never complains or breaks, it just happily does everything you ask of it. Best car for any money, period!"