2002 Lexus IS

9.5

Based on 249 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

9.7/10
    9.7/10

Great Entry Level Luxury Sports Sedan

By on Friday, November 18, 2011

Pros: "engine, power, reliability, styling"

Cons: "cup holders, backseat"

"I bought this car in 2006 and have loved driving it for five years. The drive quality is top notch and rivals the sporty driving profile of a BMW 3 Series, but for much cheaper. The 215hp engine gives it plenty of power for how light the car is. The RWD is a major advantage over FWD sport sedans like the Acura TL because you don't get any torque steer. Also, with the I-6 engine, you get a ton of low end torque which really helps accelerating from a complete stop. Standard HID headlights are great too The seats are comfortable and give you plenty of room in the front (I'm 5'11 and fit in fine). The backseat is very cramped though, so this is not a good family car. The quality of the leather is good. It is almost 8 years old and no cracking, tearing, or noticeable fading of the leather (I do clean/condition it at least twice a year though). The stock premium stereo has good sound quality, but lacks thumping bass like newer premium stereos have. The backlights behind my stereo unit are spotty though. I had a grouping of buttons that had the backlight flicker for a while and now doesn't turn on, but they were not heaving used buttons. As long as you perform the scheduled maintenance (find a good 3rd party mechanic), it will run great and a long time. This is one of Lexus's most reliable cars according to consumer reports. A great aspect of this car is that it still turns heads after 8 years. The styling is somewhat unique and they are rare to find on the road."

Well built car, little maintance required

By on Thursday, April 4, 2013

Pros: "Looks, build quality, driving experience, comfort"

Cons: "fuel GPM could be better for light small engine 26"

"I love this car because even with the miles on it, it is still just so solid in feel. Its a well built car with quality put into every part in it, except the radio but everyone of these cars has had it replaced by now. Even the factory shocks are original and only now are they STARTING to show that there getting a little lose."

12 Years... Still makes me happy...EVERYDAY

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

"This is the perfect drivers car for balance between power, braking, handling, and all around feel. I have beaten on this car since day one and it never complains or breaks, it just happily does everything you ask of it. Best car for any money, period!"

Awesome Car

By on Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"I have owned this car for 12 years and have had no major problems. Usual maintenance was done every 20,000 miles and am very pleased with it."

I love this car. It has never broke down.

By on Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive. Handles great."

Cons: "Sucks in the snow."

"I have had this car since it had 50k. The only thing I have had to do to it was routine maintenance. I did the timing belt, water pump, etc job myself to save money. The only thing I don't like about it is that parts are expensive and to have a shop work on the car is expensive. Other know problems i have heard of are the rear main seals leak and the power steering pumps go out. Overall great car!"

Awesome Car....I just purchased my fourth one!!!

By on Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pros: "Amazing Wagon....LOVE the SportCross!"

Cons: "Heavy braking from high speeds can wrap rotors."

"I put a lot of miles on my car and since 2002, this has been the car of choice! I've had three and just purchased my last one....the following are the versions/mileage: A. 2002 Sedan - 35k, sold since I wanted Sportcross version B. 2002 Sportcross - 175k miles with no problems! C. 2005 Sportcross - 125k miles with no problems! D. 2003 Sportcross - 45k miles (just purchased!!)"

FUN LITTLE CAR

By on Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, quick, very light, rwd, mt, LSD"

Cons: "Tires not wide enough, nothing else (:"

"Its quick (mt), light weighted, handles very good, and it looks amazing, no problems at all, just added air to the tires and gas, very sporty and fun to drive. Best car I've owned period."

reliable & stylish

By on Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"overall good vehicle. Only complaint are: price (duh, then why did I buy a lexus?). The center console is really small. And the rear seats don't fold down so it's hard to fit larger items. I have a 2004 (its 2009 as I write this) and I haven't taken the best care of it (not every sched. maint.) but I've NEVER had a problem with it. Only now am I starting to want to take it to the shop (nothing major - just feel like she deserves it). VERY reliable. Not very big though - hard to move an infant carseat in & out easily if you're 5'7" +. I was also a little dissapointed when I found out other 04 models (non luxury brands) had a few extra luxuries I would have expected Lexus to have first (namely: bluetooth & MP3 player). Also, not too great in Snow/slippery weather. The feature that cuts the power to the rear wheels makes it impossible to get out of a slushy parking/driving job. VERY bad. Snow button doesn't help that much either... maybe winter tires would help? (I use high performance all weather)."

Is300 sport cross

By on Thursday, March 20, 2008

"I've had this car for four years. I chose it because of the unique wagon styling - so sexy but functional. My dog prefers it when I put the back seats down - that's pretty easy to do so we do that a lot. I love all of the amenities - CD, sunroof, rear view mirror with the green light so people's lights don't glare on you, front window goes down in touch of a button, radio has a readout, seats are super ergonmic, everything is so gorgeous. i have the faux suede seats and they are pretty good looking so i don't know why people say the interior is cheap - it's just as nice as the bmws I've owned. drawbacks are the tires, which people seem to agree need changing every 20k miles - that's insanely expensive and time consuming. second drawback is the mileage - i can't figure out why i only get 20 mpg when it's such a skinny car. and third, because it's skinny, while the seats are really comfortable, they are not wide. they kind of fit right to your body, which i guess is sporty, but they are by no means spacious. the number one best thing about this car is the way it looks and teh second is the smooth way it drives and handles. highly recommend."

Cute sexy car

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"This is a fun sporty little car. A little loud inside but very fun to drive. Holds it value very well. Very responsive."