2001 Lexus IS

9.5

Based on 249 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

9.7/10
    9.7/10

Awesome Car....I just purchased my fourth one!!!

By on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Pros: "Amazing Wagon....LOVE the SportCross!"

Cons: "Heavy braking from high speeds can wrap rotors."

"I put a lot of miles on my car and since 2002, this has been the car of choice! I've had three and just purchased my last one....the following are the versions/mileage: A. 2002 Sedan - 35k, sold since I wanted Sportcross version B. 2002 Sportcross - 175k miles with no problems! C. 2005 Sportcross - 125k miles with no problems! D. 2003 Sportcross - 45k miles (just purchased!!)"

Sick!

By on Friday, October 14, 2011

Pros: "retains value! interior comfortable for 4!"

Cons: "slightly high suspension and quiet stock exhaust"

"This car is sick nasty. My favorite part of Lexus is their attention to details. Every button and knob is quality. The engine is superior and the E-shift transmission can handle 450hp easily. My only wish is that the stock suspension sat the car about 2" lower... but that's nothing Tein's can't do for around $1,000. I have owned a BMW, VW, and now Lexus... I will never get anything but Lexus! I love them... They drove to perfection, and I think they have arrived there! ;)"

Great Car!

By on Monday, December 28, 2009

"I bought my 2001 IS300 in 2001 with 9000 miles on it. I do a lot of driving and now have 187,000 miles on my car! Winters in Ohio can be tough and this car doesnt make them any easier, but a good set of all-weather tires or snows make life a lot simpler. For the most part I have never really had any problems, only minor and relatively inexpensive issues. I gave up the dealer maintenance years ago because of the cost. I just got my third set of brakes and second set of front rotors. The car does not do well with tires, either. Overall, it has been a very low-maintenance car. I think the dealership goes out of their way to find problems. Easy fix--don't bring it to the dealership for maintenance!!Every time I think I want to sell this car I change my mind. I love the way it looks and drives and I still get TONS of compliments! It still looks brand new!"

2001 and still runs like a champ

By on Friday, August 14, 2009

"I purchased my 2001 IS300 in 2004 with only 32K miles on it. Some O2 sensors and the fan motor went bad a few years ago but it was covered under warranty. Other than that, I've just had tires, oil changes and brakes done. Basic maintenance stuff. It now has 85K and still runs like a dream. I know that this car will run another 100K miles or more. The styling is very nice and never looks outdated. Fun to drive everyday. Like others said, it is not that comfortable for long trips. Still love my IS though. It truly is a great car."

By on Saturday, October 18, 2008

"best car I ever owned"

can't kill it

By on Thursday, May 01, 2008

"i have always been of the opinion that you drive a car the way it's made to be driven. you take suv's offroad. you floor sports cars. this is the first vehicle that's ever survived me. it's the first vehicle that i've been able to put over 40k miles on. i've put 50k, and had no problems. an absolute first for me, and believe me, i try to kill the thing."

a touch of class

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"i love my is 300, its extremely quick and performs great. i hate buying premium gas for $3.60 a gallon, but its worth it. this car has spoiled me, i will never stray from luxury performance ever again."

Great Gas Milage

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"0-60 mph. in just over 6 sec. Stops on a dime. Looks great and rides quiet. Excellent gas milage."

Safe, reliable, sexy!

By on Sunday, November 11, 2007

"I've been driving my IS 300 for about 3 years now, and it has proven its worth time and time again. The ride is smooth, the interior is very ergonomic and appealing, the craftsmanship on the seats/controls/paneling is superior to any other car for it's price ranges that I have seen. I have driven it through very rainy conditions, and where my other cars would have hydroplaned, the Lexus caught traction with the ESP and I never have to worry about losing control of the vehicle. I take a very dangerous highway to get out of my area, but I feel completely safe in my Lexus. With my 35 series G-Force tires, the car snakes through the turns and I can pass other cars with ease; There is no lack of acceleration even while going 65 mph. The extra power button is especially sweet, it makes me feel like I've got a sports car. The only negative thing I have to say about the car is the manual mode, which has taken it's toll on the transmission. It isn't smooth at all and for me it's completely pointless, doesn't even allow burnouts! I got the automatic for simplicity's sake, so I never use manual anyways. Overall this car is the safest vehicle for it's age and price that I can think of; it's also beautiful, sporty, and comfortable."

Love this car

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"I am the original owenr of a 2001 with 129,000 miless. Has needed nothing but routine service. It is fun to drive and has been very reliable. Only con is cost of the service which is on par with other luxury cars. My prior experince has been with Hondas, so I had a little sticker shock in the beginning. But overall, it has been well worth it."

Definitely Worth Every Penny!!!

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"This car has been an amazing car for my family. Great Ride and handles wonderful. Also, the comfort is great with amazing style as well. Very Classy.!"

Duh Car

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"The vehicle is dependable cost effective to run. The only issue over the four years of ownership is the tires. Pot holes in NJ play havoc on the low profile tire and/or rims. The gas mileage, no matter the driving conditions or city/highway is 19 MPH. On refueling the tank gets 'airbound' and the last two gallons must go in very slow. The factory delivered dark tinted windows are a police magnet! Overall excellent vehicle for the price and resale."

Great car

By on Thursday, September 13, 2007

"Hands down the best car I have owned. After 150K miles, it still handles like it was when new. Everything tight, nothing rattles. Only thing to ever break is the CD player. Just get a cassette adapter for your iPod and be happy. And a good set of snow tires."

By on Friday, August 17, 2007

"I intend on running this car into the ground, perhaps 300k, then sell to junkyard when it is worth nothing. In other words, I will not sell this car while it still runs. Excellent vehicle overall."

Very nice!

By on Monday, January 09, 2012

Pros: "Styleish, fast"

Cons: "Small cabin, rwd, not good in snow"

"I bought the car brand spankin new in the showroom on august 2001. I love the car but for a new family its not great. The back seat is small and me being a 5'9" i have to drive with the seat somewhat back. The car is fun to drive especially once performance parts (intake, exhaust, suspension) are done. Its perfect for a single guy/lady or as a liesure car but not for a family. Also replacement parts and maintenece is VERY expensive. Also the car slips on a bit of flurry so forget abut driving it in the snow. (rwd) As much as its hurting me to even think abut it, i will be trafing the car in or selling it soon."

Sporty, fun, looks sharp, handles great...

By on Friday, December 23, 2011

Pros: "Style, handling, great everyday car"

Cons: "Small back seat, small trunk, limited trunk access"

"I've driven my IS 300 for two years and absolutely love it. Its a great everyday car that has a sporty feel and styling. I love the suede/leather combination seats and the watch style gauge panel. The 5 speed e-shift is a neat feature for fun country cruises and corners. The only reason i gave it a 4 our of 5 for comfort and convenience is because it's pretty tight in the back seats for tall riders and the back seats do not fold down for trunk access. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone!"

excellent first car for a teenager

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

"This was the first car we bought for our daughter and it was excellent."

Really enjoy it every day

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

"Only real complaint is no fold-down rear seats. Took a 1200-mile road trip with two buddies in middle of summer. Cool, quiet and comfortable all the way. Don't drive like an enthusiast but know that there's fun on tap if I want to. Bought it used, one-owner with 60K and kbb says it's worth $100 less than I paid for it with 27,500 more miles on it!"

A great value - like a lower cost BMW 330i

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, great handling"

Cons: "paint on hood not durable (red models)"

"Smooth shifting 5sp stick. Great horsepower (just 20hp less than 330i, for $10k less). Excellent fit and finish but factory paint on front of hood not very durable on this model, in red anyway. Only down side is that it has a kind of high insurance rating though."

Love it

By on Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pros: "Great design, luxurious!"

Cons: "MPG. . ."

"Love this car! I have over 150,000 miles and have never had any major issues or mechanical problems. Design is timeless. The only draw back is the MPG!"

long lasting car

By on Thursday, May 19, 2011

"never had a problem with the car, i put on 169 thousand miles and into today no problems with it, the bad part about the car, the parts are not cheap, almost anything u need, needs to be order."

By on Tuesday, May 03, 2011

"I bought my '02 IS 300 in '07 and now have 112k. I have replaced the tires, the timing belt and the brakes and that is about it. I drive this car HARD and it's always a blast. I wish it had another (6th) gear and the back seat is too small but all in all I love my old IS 300."

V Nice

By on Thursday, April 14, 2011

"Love this car. Is holding up quite nicely. Only 'problems' have been the wheels, in that they definitely need to be changed regularly. Also, dashboard has some weird material which when left in the hot sun actually feels sticky to the touch. Thankfully not on all of dashboard, trim only."

Reliable

By on Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"Let it sit in 0 degree F* weather for 6 days and it will start up. Very reliable. Owned my 2005 for 3 years and it hasn't stranded me yet even with 127k on the clock. Isn't an effortless car to drive. Tranny isn't too smooth. road imperfections are multiplied in this car. Pot Holes cause major suspension damage due to lower profile tires. With snow tires I have yet to get stuck. Even in snow higher than my undercarriage.Put weight in the trunk to help. Bought this car for it's reliability!"

Delightful in every way

By on Friday, February 11, 2011

"Bought it new 8 yrs ago & now have a little under 200K troublefree miles on it. Still drives and looks new and definitely still a delight to drive. Back in '04 I added the Lexus L-tuned shocks & L-tuned exhaust and they were well worth it. Handling is sublime, acceleration is solid anywhere in the powerband and the interior fits me like a glove. This car is has been an absolute joy. Make sure you find one w/a 5spd manual if you really want to enjoy your ride."