• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2010 Lexus HS

9.3

Based on 39 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

9.7/10

Excellent Car for commuting!

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

Pros: "Gas Milage"

Cons: "Unable to put down the back seats"

"I have owned this car for about a year. I bought it certified pre-owned with 9k miles on it. I have now almost 25k. This car is an excellent luxury hybrid if you are in the market. When I was pricing between Lexus and Toyota, the Lexus was just slightly more when counting for all the comparable features in the Toyota. PROS: Excellent gas mileage- duh, Handles well, Comfortable ride, Lexus Service!! CONS: Well sorta a con/pro is the center console. It comes pretty far out into the passenger space and unless you are super tall (i am 5') then you are unable to reach into the passenger floor board. You know- when you make that fast stop and your takeout hits the floor sideways? Yeah. thats a problem. On the other hand it’s very ergonomically friendly for driving etc. Another problem I find is being unable to add a new destination when the car is in motion. I know this is the case for most new cars for safety reasons, but they have it so you can navigate the system from either the passenger side or drivers side. I wish there was an override so my passenger could add destinations if we wanted. The plus side is I do have Lexus Enform, so I just call them and they push it to the system. And last quirk, not being able to put down the backseat for large items. All that being said, I absolutely love this car and would without a doubt buy another."

Great car

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

Pros: "Perks of a hybrid with Lexus luxury!"

Cons: "Price tag"

"The HS is a little pricey but it's a great car with a ton of useful extras. I enjoy driving my HS and I have no regrets. You can't beat Lexus quality and customer service. I'm so spoiled now ;-)"

Excellent Value

By on Monday, January 31, 2011

"The great combination of luxury features, high tech toys and very good fuel economy makes one look forward to the daily commute. We wanted a car that had less impact on the planet and the HS250h fit the bill with very low emissions and being 85% recyclable. Factor in the predicted excellent 5 year cost of ownership and we feel good about our purchase."

A hybrid and luxary car

By on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"I recently purchased this car after test driving about a dozen other models. I knew this was the car for me for several reasons. First, I am tired of spending over $70 a month on gas. This model partly solves this problem with 35 mpg. For example, I took the car on a 350 mile round trip several days ago on a hilly 65 mph Interstate and some stop & go traffic including a half hour stuck in traffic. The car got 38 mpg and used about nine gallons. My previous car with 24 avg mpg would have used 16+ gallons on this trip. Second, the car is very comfortable inside and has an easy to understand dash and controls. I have the basic model and no navigation which I find too distracting. The car is also about 100 pounds lighter than the premium model that may add slightly to the mpg. However, this model still has a long list of luxary features. The seats are very good. I felt comfortable the first time in the driver, passenger, and back seats with little or no adjustment, an experience I never had before. The seating is about three inches higher than many other midsize cars that improves views of the road and makes it easier to enter and leave the car. Head room is fine for me at 5' 6" but tall people may be a bit cramped. The radio is excellent, heated seats can be adjusted to the temp you like, and the climate control is excellent. The car handles well and it can turn tightly with the best other cars. Road feel is good and the car is quiet inside even at 65 mph. However, it takes a few hours of driving to become familiar with the hybrid system and the overall handling including steering and braking. After a while the driving experience becomes very good. Some of the published reviewers of the car do not appear to have driven long enough to appreciate the driving experience. Third, the car has cutting edge technology. I especially like the driving feedback information on the dash that gives real-time information on gas consumption in two modes. One mode provides an immediate view of how your driving is affecting gas milege and battery charging. Over time this can teach the driver to use less fuel. Forth, this is a Lexus meaning that reliabilty and attention to details for both the car and the dealership are usually guarenteed. Finally, I bought the car to reduce my footprint on the environment. Lexus should be recognized as one of the few luxary brands making a significant effort to reduce fuel consumption."

One Nice Hybrid

By on Monday, September 21, 2009

"Comfort, Handling, and User Friendly High Technology, provide for an optimal and pleasurable driving experience. The navigation system is state of the art and extremely intuitive. The remote touch "mouse like" controller that operates the nav system will make anyone who uses a computer feel at home. The menu system is simple and straightforward allowing easy access to navigation, audio, phone, and climate settings. The system provides a highly advanced "natural speech" voice recognition to operate many of the control functions. The car's four power settings work flawlessly and provide ample options for drivers who like to maximize their hybrid results to those who prefer to emphasize the "power" route with hightened acceleration and thrust.Handling is straightforward, controlled ,and predictable offering a very rewarding driving experience on both highways and local roads. If hybrid technology coupled with luxury and comfort is valued, the Lexus HS 250 delivers on all counts."

Awesome Vehicle

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Great technological features and comfortable ride"

Cons: "Price"

"I was able to drive from PHX to LA in one full tank. Fuel economy is wonderful. Drives much better, smoother and much more comfortable than the PRIUS. I can't believe it is compared to it because they are nothing alike. More horses and speed picks up really fast watch the odomoter so you don't get a ticket. I have the fully loaded version and the front camera is handier than you think. Have used it many times and avioded many accidents. The lane keep assist is great dirving at night after a long shift at work or if you are tired. Has an alarm that get's your attention. This is just an extraordinary vehicle for the price. Highly recommended."

Great Hybrid

By on Friday, October 15, 2010

"Had the car for 9 months now and love it! The only downfall is the lack of storage."

Better than expected

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pros: "this car rides higher, more like my SUV"

"I'm retired. last three cars were Lexus 350. Liked them all except wanted better milage as I planned on taking road trips. Happy to say the gas milegae is good, not quite as stated, but this car offers the comfort and features i wanted in a car. I did drive a Prius, yes it was good, better mileage, but at my age and driving four Lexus' I'm spoiled, liking comfort features that the Prius didn't offer. Yup! the price was different too, but I'm very happy with my HS 250."

Fast for a Hybrid

By on Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pros: "fast off the start and accelerating for a hybrid, very quiet, good leg room in the back seat."

Cons: "Absolutlely no storage in the interior of the car."

"Bought this car after looking at all the hybrids on the mrket at the time. This car is fast off the start and accelerating, for a hybrid. The car is loaded with high tech toys. It has the mouse controller and the steering wheel with the "Heads Up Display" really spols you. Love this car. Wasn't sure I would be okay with Hybrid technology, but seems to go through snow and slush just fine. Over size 20" wheels helps. Would buy this car again. One drawback is the total lack of storage compartments in the car."

Back to the Drawing Board

By on Sunday, July 04, 2010

"Mpg OK, 30-33, back seats comfortable, sound system good, lots of amenities. Very difficult without back-up camera: beware. Don't buy one without it. Next to no trunk space, rides rough (also the rumble of gas engine going on and off) and noisy. Shouldn't even be called a Lexus. Driver seat has little leg room and cramped area for pedals: too close. Plastic bumpers and panels too low to curbs; already have $3500 of damage in first nine months. Wanted a green car; this one is a generation or two away from what Lexus wants. Already recalled for brakes, gas tank, coming up. My third and last Lexus, after two happy experiences with ES 300."

Economy with a badge.

By on Thursday, May 03, 2012

Pros: "Looks great drives nice and its a LEXUS at 35mpg"

Cons: "Not cheap but what is today."

"My car I traded in was a H2 gas was insane. My wife drives a G35 she fell in love with this car. It's fun to drive. I have the premium with tech package. It truly drives itself its not fast but it stays with the traffic. Rides smother then G35 and quitter. Try it you will like."

I love my HS

By on Monday, March 21, 2011

"Great gas mileage, but without having to sacrifice quality and style. I kind of think of it as my souped up Corolla, in a good way! I absolutely love the heads up display (part of technology package). I think it should be a mandatory feature in all cars because it makes it so much easier to stay aware of your speed. I drive slower, especially when I use eco-mode (which is all the time) because the car really doesn't have a lot of 'oommph' in eco-mode. I don't mind it, my husband hates it. (He likes V8s!) I also really like the mouse like device used to control the navi. It is much easier than a touch screen."

Great car for warm climates

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage on the highway 38-40mpg."

Cons: "No all wheel drive winter mpg is under 30mpg"

"The car is great for use in the summer. Winter driving is not so great when driving up snow covered hills, despite the front wheel drive. The battery weight in the rear of the car defeats the benefit of front wheel drive."

Your Hybrid Choice

By on Saturday, March 26, 2011

"I was reluctant to buy this car because of its small trunk space as well as its low miles per gallon for a hybrid (35/36). Well! Because of my driving tendencies--I tend to coast rather than accelerate and brake--I have been averaging 37-41 miles to the gallon! As for what I thought was a small trunk, my day-to-day needs fit quite well."

Nice car, but could be better

By on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Pros: "Pretty Car"

Cons: "Average car, pricey tag. Go for another brand."

"I traded my 2008 Hyundai Veracruz CUV to purchase this car in October 2011 because of the advertised 35MPG. The car runs good, however, the MPG I get is not what the manufacturer advertises. I get around 29-31 MPG regardless of what driving mode I have it in. The electric seats are very slow. Once you start the car, you have to wait until it goes through its starting processes before you can click on your seat memory button for the seat to obtain your setting; unlike other vehicles, after you start the car, you can select your seat setting, and it sets it without having to wait. The seat memory buttons are not lit, and very hard to see at night. The mouse is very unsafe and a safety hazard to use when driving. A touch screen sound system would have worked best. The stereo is OK, not the best and functions OK, however, when you select XM mode, you have to double the sound volume in order to hear the music at a comfortable level. Only 1 power outlet, which I would prefer 2. Interior level noise is much higher with the provided factory tires, especially when driving over road expansion joints. Headrest do not lock in the lowest position, so they have a tendency to raise to the first level, which is very annoying. Seatbelts need to be relocated to the seats where they are more easily accessible for those drivers who may have back problems, or sustained a temporary injury that prohibits them from reaching to the rear of the vehicle. I am seriously already thinking about selling or trading in my vehicle, as I am not to pleased with it. The purchase process, after the sale, with the dealer, was not a very good experience. Overall, for the price I paid, I would recommend shopping around for another manufacturer, where you can get a similar or better vehicle, but for a lower price. If you're looking for better MPG, I would recommend the VW Turbo Diesel vehicles, or some other Hybrid vehicle."

Luxury and economy

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "economy with luxury touches"

Cons: "not a rocket off the line"

"I just purchased this vehicle certified from a local Lexus dealer. I love the 40mpg I'm getting, although I expect it to go down a bit in cold weather. I have some bells and whistles eg navigation and Lexus does them all well. Driving a hybrid takes a little getting used to, especially acceleration, which is a little sluggish. Once you are moving, there is no diff. Overall, I am very happy, with no regrets."

The perfect Lexus!

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "Great price, great mpg, amazing luxury"

"Just as fun to drive as my '06 Lexus IS350, but it takes regular and gets 30+ mpg. Luxurious appointments and top notch across the board in my opinion."

Luxurious Hybrid

By on Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Lexus did it again. Overall well crafted vehicle. Extremely roomy although it looks small on the outside. The styling can be improved upon. A ton of fancy electronics on board. I have the premium edition with technology package. Fun car to drive and I get about 490 miles to a full tank. Great product by Lexus."

Excellent car

By on Monday, March 07, 2011

"I have had the car for 5 months and love the comfort, style and reliability. I drove it in winter and with only the front wheel drive, the car is pretty good on snow. I don't have the navigation system but have other options such as USB, BT, SOS, SAT etc. My wife uses the car and she likes it better than the cadillac srx."

Near new, ideal for local use

By on Friday, September 14, 2012

"New condition. Easy to drive hybrid, no evidence of wear. Only drawback for me is its small cabin size which makes longer trips (2 hours or more)more tiring than I would like."

Fast and frugal, what's not to like!

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"Small on the outside, large on the inside. Better than rated MPG 35/34/35, we get 38+ on 10% Ethanol. Great features, memory everything, voice commands, Navigation is excellent. Cooled seats really work! Fun to zip off the line and leave "faster" cars. USB port works with iPhone but not iPod for music. Wish it had a couple feature my 5 year old Chevy has like retained power after key off for sunroof and radio. Expected one touch-three flash turn signals too. Will be getting the new ES300h when this lease is up but will miss the extra garage space the HS provided"

great car, fun to drive

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

"great car. fun to drive and feels solid."

Very good luxury hybrid

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Pros: "luxury SULEV"

Cons: "not as sporty as others"

"This is my 3rd hybrid; still have a Prius and was leasing a Lexus GS450h before this one (what a joy that was). This car does mostly highway driving. Handles well and delivers very good milage. Qiuet and reliable, really one of a kind in this class."

Great Car!

By on Monday, March 07, 2011

"Bought it used and got a substantial discount from MSRP (>$10,000). Traded in a Lexus SUV, so any improvement in gas mileage is a big plus. This car has taken a beating from car critics, but this is our third Lexus and it has the same qualities that keeps us buying. Very comfortable, great technology features with NAV, getting 37 mpg overall. Only complaint is that road noise is more pronounced, but it is still OK."

Quiet with high tech options and power everything

By on Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pros: "Quiet, efficient, high tech"

Cons: "Not a v-6, but faster than Prius!"

"A true Lexus. 35 miles per gallon overall. 40 on the highway in comfort of Lexus."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Lexus HS near Honolulu. See local deals