• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide
2005 Lexus GX Consumer Reviews

Outstanding vehicle.

By on Friday, July 25, 2008

"This is a wonderful vehicle. It is as close to bulletproof as one can get. I have 72k on mine (2004), and there is not a rattle or squeak to be found. It still rides as well as the day I bought it new, and with my K & N air filter, I get 18.1 mpg...very good for a vehicle this size and weight. There is nowhere it can't go. I hike a lot, and take fellow hikers in the woods, in the mountains, everywhere, and it gets us there in absolute comfort and safety. Since I travel, I have it serviced at one of three different Lexus dealerships...I was looking at a smaller, newer Lexus due to a job change, but ALL 3 of the service advisors told me to forgo the new Lexus and keep this one...it's their favorite, and they told me that they all felt the GX470 was, along with the LS sedan, the most reliable vehicle Lexus has ever built...and with 2 GX's in the service bay that day with over 150K miles on them. Yeah...I think I'll keep her. She is comfortable, reliable and luxurious. Looks are average to me, but everything else is beyond impressive. I highly suggest you get one...even with today's price of regular gas, there is no reducing the safety or comfort factor in my family. Good job, Lexus!"

Great Luxury SUV

By on Monday, May 12, 2008

"My wife really wanted this car because she refused to drive a minivan. We purchased a Lexus Preowned 2003 GX470 from the dealership and paid a bit higher than what a private seller would have sold it for, but with 3 years or 100K full warranty, it was worth it. There was a drive shaft problem, a radiator leak, and a suspension problem that all occured within the first two years of us owning this vehicle, and Lexus repaired them all at no cost. With 92k on it, it still drives like a new car with the 235hp engine producing more power than you think. Like any SUV, the gas mileage sucks at about 15-17MPG. It drives quite nicely in the city, on the highway, or in light off road settings and has plenty of room with the 3rd row seats out. Don't expect much use from the 3rd row seats as you will only utilize them if you have kids between 6-10. Any younger and you can't fit a carseat or booster back there, and any older, they won't have enough legroom. The inside quality is typical of any Lexus, and if you are looking for a classy SUV that brings distinction and verstility, this is it."

I made the right purchase!

By on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable ride, reliable, ++ conveniences"

Cons: "Low MPG, rear swing gate isn't always convenient"

"I bought my 2005 GX470 almost a year ago and it had 128k miles on it. Even though it has quite a few miles on it, the ride quality, engine, transmission, and even the condition of the leather seats and interior make it feel like it's a newer car. I have had numerous Toyo/Lexus products (2 Camrys, Supra, 4Runner, 2 GS400s) but this one has impressed me a lot. Even though it's built on a truck chassis, the ride is smooth and stable in corners, it doesn't lean even though it's a pretty tall vehicle. I love all the convenience features it has, rain sensing wipers, DVD system, blue tooth, 3rd row seats that fold up. This is the first AWD vehicle I've owned and it was superb in the snow. The only negative I can come up with is the gas mileage, I've been averaging 16-17 mpg, but considering the power of the 4.7 V8 I'll take the trade off."

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted