• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2005 Lexus GX

9.3

Based on 206 Ratings for the 2003 - 2010 models.

Great but lesser compared to competition

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

Pros: "Reliability, Sound system, Styling"

Cons: "Rear barn door, powertrain"

"My 2010 GX460 is my 5th Lexus and comparatively to my prior cars it lacks the typical quality fit and finish Lexus is known for. The powertrain although rated to be more powerful feels slow like there is actually a V-6 under the hood by mistake. The interior houses lots of plastics that look great but feel cheap. The fold down 2nd row seats do not fold down completely flat. To find the outside temperature one must cycle to the climate control menu on the navigation screen which is annoying to me when most cars display it where it is always visible. Although I have some complaints overall the cars conservative styling, overall driving habits, reliability and great dealer service outweigh the cons; however, I still feel the GX is not Lexus' best work- they can do better."

Great SUV!

By on Friday, December 02, 2011

Pros: "Price, quality"

Cons: "Rear door,cruise control, inadiquate HVAC CONTROLS"

"This has been a great vehicle. I have had little trouble with it. My average MPG for the past 40 fill ups is 18.6 which is great for an AWD heavy suv. The climate control system needs improvements as does the cruise control. The CC does not keep a constant speed, it drops a few mph then goes to almost full throttle to get back to desired speed. The rear door also is a terrible set up (barn door swing). They need to put a "normal" suv door in were it is two peice so you have protection from rain and a seat. Overall however a wonderful vehicle."

They should have left the 5.7 V-8 in this one

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

"Had a 2005 GX470 but had electrical problems that the dealer was unable to rectify in 20 attempts. Toyota bought the car back from me. The main thing that I notice is how the 2010 with the 4.6 slows down going up even small hills. It suposedly puts out about 30 more horsepower than the 5.7, but it sure does not show it. Fuel useage is about the same, but now it requires premium."

Perfect for my needs

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "Rides great, powerful, looks good"

Cons: "GPS is hard to operate"

"Great small SUV with all the extras..."

Great SUV!

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

Pros: "Roomy, comfort, handling, decent mpg for SUV"

Cons: "Automatic Climate Control iffy, not hybrid"

"Our Lexus GX 470 is 8.5 years old and has served my family well. At over 99k miles, it still gets the same gas mileage which at 16.5 city/hwy and 22 hwy is pretty darn good for a heavy SUV. As outdoor enthusiasts, we have put it through its paces whether it be trudging up to the mountains for a ski trip or hauling bikes, camping gear or grimy kids and dogs (well, grimy adults, too), and it provided us the comfort, safety, and room that we require.It's been on numerous multi-week road trips and we have yet to have any trouble with the car. The only negative comments I have is that the climate control could be better programmed as it has a tendancy to blow out cold air when it should be blowing out warm and vice versa. Iy was not equipped with the greatest of tires for snow and ice so when it came time to replace them, I upgraded to a better tire. An auto like this should come with the top of the line tires. Lastly, we had one problem with the transmission when it was out warranty, but as it was a known issue and we had mentioned occasionally some inconsistent issues we were having, Lexus paid for the vast majority of a new transmission. I've never had a problem with the car since it was replaced many years ago.I highly recommend the car. I only wish they would come out with a fully electric or hybrid model. The technology has to be there by now."

One of the best

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "Nice"

Cons: "Non"

"all I can say it's a very luxuries car wow amazing"

Outstanding Vehicle

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pros: "Safety, Luxurious ride, Quiet"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage"

"The most important comment I can offer is that this vehicle saved my life, literally. I owned this same model purchased in 2005, which I was driving on the Interstate at 55 MPH when another vehicle collided head-on with me (I was not at fault). Although my vehicle was severely damaged (totaled), I escaped with only a broken wrist caused by airbag deployment. The occupant of the other car (Ford Taurus) was hospitalized for 8 weeks. I replaced the 2005 model with a 2006, which is virtually identical. It performs very well. The only repair that has been required (other than standard maintenance items) has been a rear height sensor, although that was expensive to replace ($900). Otherwise the car handles every possible driving condition with confidence."

I love my Lexus

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "wonderful ride sound system is great"

Cons: "fine line dashboard crack"

"The only con I have with my Lexus is the dashboard cracked from one end to the other after six years. The leather cracked on the armrest after six years. My lexus drives as well as it did when it was new."

Great SUV

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "Lots of visibility. Nice ride"

Cons: "Dashboard cracked when it was 7 years old."

"I have 40,000 miles on my 2003 GX 470 and this SUV is great! Very comfortable seats and smooth ride. Bought the car for towing my 22' boat, which is a breeze. Only downside is the not so great gas mileage, but it's a terrific SUV."

LOVE MY CAR

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "So comfortable. Reliable."

Cons: "15/17 mpg. No auxillary jack for iPod."

"This has been a great car for our family. I have kept up with all of the recommended scheduled maintenance and have had absolutely no trouble with it. It drives like a dream. It is quiet and smooth. We travel a lot and after driving a rental car when we are out of town I am always so happy to slide back into my Lexus. I taught two of my children to drive in it and my third will be getting his permit in 6 mos. He will also be learning how to drive in this car! It's safe and the boxy style makes it easy to park."

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

"Great driving car! I travel a lot and this car is so comfortable. It is just a little bigger than I want but the comfort outways the size. The only design issue is. . .my husband is 6'5" and his knee hits the radio knob. I guess Lexus didn't design the car for this."

My second GX470

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "Reliability and class rolled into one"

Cons: "Can not control the radio from the backseat"

"This is my second GX470, my first was a silver 2005 GX470. I loved it so much I chose to buy 2009 edition of the exact same model, but in white this time. I love it because of its reliablility, it is easy to park and holds it value based on the resale of my last car. I can't think of another car I would rather own and may even consider this same class of car for my next purchase."

I love my lexus GX470

By on Saturday, October 08, 2011

Pros: "Fun to Drive and great Sound system"

Cons: "None!"

"Awesome vehicle - loaded with DVD, Levison sound system and Navigation. The best SUV for the money!"

Bought it used - one great vehicle

By on Thursday, September 08, 2011

"Owned an LX470. Found this GX470 used and couldn't be happier. A few perks I miss, but it can really get up and go. Both vehicle have an unbelievable turning radius for any vehicle. The gas mileage on the highway is about 18. Rides nicely. The bluetooth phone needs improvement - which I am sure they have done since 06 and there is no connection for an mp3 or iphone."

Best SUV I've Owned

By on Friday, September 02, 2011

Pros: "Fit and finish, engine, powertrain, reliable, roomy."

Cons: "Rear hatch"

"I've had two SUVs prior to the GX. Both were Mercedes MLs and both were less than adequate. I purchased my GX in 2005 and have 72000 miles on it. This SUV has never given me any trouble, rides better than some sedans, and is extremely reliable. I've also found a great dealership that actually treats it's customers like royality. Fit and finish, engine and powertrain are excellent. I've took the GX off road several times and it performed great. At 72K miles I still have the original tires. However, I have one complaint. The rear door (rear hatch) opens to the left. It would be nice to have it open up. Other than that this is a terrific vehicle, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in purchasing a SUV."

Great SUV... For Soccer Moms

By on Thursday, September 01, 2011

Pros: "Great ride! Superb reliability - gas"

Cons: "Very feminine. Not rugged. White interior is impractical."

"Best ride and reliability of any SUV I have ever owned. But, the "U" is pretty limp as this the GX is not really designed with hauling and off road driving in mind. Styling is pretty tame but hey, it's a Lexus so that should be expected. White interior, especially in an SUV is a gallacticaly bad idea. Will never get that again. Had to replace the floormats"

Unbelievably solid vehicle.

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "Sleek looking, reliable, safe"

Cons: "Would like more room inside in the back."

"I hit an elk going 78 miles an hour, and did not get a scratch on me. Most unfortunate for the elk however. The front end of my truck took the impact of the hit like a powerhouse. Due to the high value of the vehicle, it was not totalled. I received a new engine and a new transmission and thanks to a first rate body shop in Scottsdale, Arizona....my vehicle drives like it did the first day I bought it. I have owned the Cadillac Escalade which I traded for the Land Rover which I traded for this. Love it. Would like more interior space so probably will go up to the LX next. Great vehicle all the way around."

Best SUV I've ever owned

By on Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pros: "Reliability, Interior, Good mpg for a V8 engine."

Cons: "Not very agile"

"I recently bought the new 2011 Lexus GX460 and I could not be happier with my purchase. The gas mileage is great for a v8 engine, and it accelerates like a car. This SUV has the best interior of any SUV I have ever seen. I have taken it off road twice, and it performed very well. The only negative to this vehicle would be that it feels a little top heavy when you take sharp turns, but its a large SUV so thats no surprise. As a first time Lexus owner, I am extremely satisfied with the reliability and the performance that the GX460 offers."

2006 GX 470 no KDSS and rear entertainment

By on Friday, June 03, 2011

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "weird rear door, 3rd row sears are for amputess,"

"Once in a while you get a car thats hard to let go and replace. This is it. it might have it flaws like rear door opens the wrong way, its V8 is slightly underpowered, its suspension maybe too soft or too hard depending on the number u choose for the day. But overall ive been thinking of trading it in for a ? nothing is actually better other than a bigger lexus or the newer 2010 model. This lexus is simply PUt comfortable, reliable and SAFE. so when u think its time is up what is better? i tested audi q7 nope, mercedes GL better but huge relaibility issues, X5 its not that great losses out in the luxury dept. So i think im going to spend the money on a facelift for her put some Jaos bullbars change her rear lights to LED and wahlah ! she will be back in business. LEXUS GX and LS 460 no one does it better."

Best SUV ever.

By on Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"i had this car since 2003 when i bought it brand new. As of today I have 177500 miles on it with no problems ever. Between 0 miles and 50k, i changed the oil every 5k miles with normal oil, after 50k till present, i used syntetic oil and changed it every 10k miles. I'm getting 16.5 miles per gallon."

Awesome! Buying another one

By on Thursday, May 19, 2011

"Bought my vehicle fully loaded and new in 2006. Lexus brand was highly reccommended by others who owned the vehicle. All said love the vehicle, never have any problems with it, will buy another one. After almost 5 years of owning mine I say the same, love my vehicle, never have any problems with it, I am buying another GX at the end of the year:-). It is stylish and can perform under the toughest conditions. Excellent choice!"

By on Monday, May 09, 2011

Good SUV

By on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"I have had my vehicle for 2 years. I enjoy the ride very much. The car has been reliable and have had no service issues. My criticism is lack of storage in front area and the navigation system is a bit unreliable. I also have tried and tried to sync my Blackberry to work hands free and NO ONE can hear me. Lexus blames the Blackberry and Blackberry blames the Lexus. I have been able to use it hands free in my GMC Acadia and in my Acura in the past. Perhaps a bit over rated."

By on Wednesday, April 06, 2011

2007 GX470

By on Thursday, March 24, 2011

"This SUV is a powerful and "smooth operator"! I love it! The powerful V8 engine growls like a happy beast. With gas prices so high these days, this baby sips gas efficiently given its size. It handles like a car and commands respect on the road. The interior is cavernous and has all the luxurious and styling comforts of a European vehicle, but with a Japanese price tag. I bought mine fully loaded since it was an Exhibition Car Show SUV. The resale value holds up better than other SUV, despite high gas prices. The reliability is fantastic. Other than routine maintenance, I've had no problems or issues with the SUV. I highly recommend it. This ones a keeper!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Lexus GX near Honolulu. See local deals