2004 Lexus GX

9.3

Based on 212 Ratings for the 2003 - 2010 models.

Outstanding vehicle.

By on Friday, July 25, 2008

"This is a wonderful vehicle. It is as close to bulletproof as one can get. I have 72k on mine (2004), and there is not a rattle or squeak to be found. It still rides as well as the day I bought it new, and with my K & N air filter, I get 18.1 mpg...very good for a vehicle this size and weight. There is nowhere it can't go. I hike a lot, and take fellow hikers in the woods, in the mountains, everywhere, and it gets us there in absolute comfort and safety. Since I travel, I have it serviced at one of three different Lexus dealerships...I was looking at a smaller, newer Lexus due to a job change, but ALL 3 of the service advisors told me to forgo the new Lexus and keep this one...it's their favorite, and they told me that they all felt the GX470 was, along with the LS sedan, the most reliable vehicle Lexus has ever built...and with 2 GX's in the service bay that day with over 150K miles on them. Yeah...I think I'll keep her. She is comfortable, reliable and luxurious. Looks are average to me, but everything else is beyond impressive. I highly suggest you get one...even with today's price of regular gas, there is no reducing the safety or comfort factor in my family. Good job, Lexus!"

I made the right purchase!

By on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable ride, reliable, ++ conveniences"

Cons: "Low MPG, rear swing gate isn't always convenient"

"I bought my 2005 GX470 almost a year ago and it had 128k miles on it. Even though it has quite a few miles on it, the ride quality, engine, transmission, and even the condition of the leather seats and interior make it feel like it's a newer car. I have had numerous Toyo/Lexus products (2 Camrys, Supra, 4Runner, 2 GS400s) but this one has impressed me a lot. Even though it's built on a truck chassis, the ride is smooth and stable in corners, it doesn't lean even though it's a pretty tall vehicle. I love all the convenience features it has, rain sensing wipers, DVD system, blue tooth, 3rd row seats that fold up. This is the first AWD vehicle I've owned and it was superb in the snow. The only negative I can come up with is the gas mileage, I've been averaging 16-17 mpg, but considering the power of the 4.7 V8 I'll take the trade off."

Perfect for 65,000 miles!

By on Saturday, December 15, 2007

"This SUV has been perfect for 65000 miles! Really -- no problems at all. It still looks and drives like it is brand new (although it is 3 years old) People who drive in it with me invariably comment on how comfortable it is. Bought this after a horrible experience with a BMW X5 (110 days in the shop over its 3 year lease)... No such problems with the Lexus -- all comfort, reliability, performance, and over 20 mpg on the highway to boot!"

Smoother than anything you could think of!

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pros: "Spacious, backup camera, third row seat"

"I just purchased a 04 lexusGX 470 and what a pleasure to own! Very smooth and quiet like you're driving a sedan. Engine is quiet and third row seats is the best! The car is seats up to 8 people and that really comes in handy for us. Never would want to give up a car like this. The best thing about the car is that it's spacious. Think twice about buying another car because this is your choice!"

Absolutely flawless ownership experience.

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Ride, comfort, quality, reliability."

Cons: "Fuel economy."

"Big, roomy, and comfortable, without the longer wheelbase of a truly large SUV, this car has been fantastic. Purchased new, this is our first Lexus, but all of the Salesman's lies about how you never have any trouble with them turned out to be true. 116,000 miles and it has never let us down. Still completely tight, I wouldn't be shocked if goes another 300,000 miles. No repairs other than normal wear items. It rides great, has a nice tight turning radius, has great acceleration, and is comfortable and quiet. The all wheel drive system with traction control is absolutely amazing in winter driving conditions. The 4.7 liter v8 will makes you forget that this is a 5,000 lb car. This won't be our last Lexus."

Luxury and comfort in a family car!

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, roomy, handles well, stylish, sturdy"

Cons: "Just 1: the 8 cyl uses more gas than I would like"

"I was hit head-on while driving my husband's Lexus sedan in 2005. Both my son and I walked away with only scraches from the air bags! I felt so safe in a Lexus product that we replaced it with another--this time, a family SUV. I am only 5'1" and have a hard time feeling comfortable in most cars but the adjustability and thick padded seats make this vehicle the most comfortable I have ever driven. The moon roof is fun and sporty on a warm summer day and helps to cool the car quickly by letting the hot air escape when I first get in. It's a great family vehicle, and the DVD player helps keep the kids occupied on long rides...but it is also luxurious enough to take friends out for the evening. A 6-disc changer and the Levinson sound system make an enjoyable listening experience while driving. Very little outside noise penetrates the windows. It is about as soundproof as a car can be. The 8 cylinder engine gives the car a strong pick-up and even ride on the highway."

Best SUV I've Owned

By on Friday, September 02, 2011

Pros: "Fit and finish, engine, powertrain, reliable, roomy."

Cons: "Rear hatch"

"I've had two SUVs prior to the GX. Both were Mercedes MLs and both were less than adequate. I purchased my GX in 2005 and have 72000 miles on it. This SUV has never given me any trouble, rides better than some sedans, and is extremely reliable. I've also found a great dealership that actually treats it's customers like royality. Fit and finish, engine and powertrain are excellent. I've took the GX off road several times and it performed great. At 72K miles I still have the original tires. However, I have one complaint. The rear door (rear hatch) opens to the left. It would be nice to have it open up. Other than that this is a terrific vehicle, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in purchasing a SUV."

Love this SUV. No issues since day one.

By on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Pros: "great realibility and quality"

"Lexus makes quality cars. This is my 2nd Lexus and will only buy Lexus. We had an Infinity and had multiple recalls."

Rare luxury SUV

By on Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pros: "Great value, full utility, luxury and reliability"

Cons: "rear jumper seats small, boot space limited"

"Purchased this car for my wife and our two young sons. I did extensive research to find the best mix of utility, safety, style, ride quality and reliability. From utility perspective, this is a truly acclaimed off road vehicle. Based upon legendary Toyota Landcruiser, this vehicle can handle our once a year snow storm and winter ski vacations in the mountains. It has all the settings to down crawl steep and icy terrain, or climb without applying too much torque. In the off road deep snow, we can separate the front and rear driveline to maneuver bumpy off roads. This is with the Lexus defined ride quality (has three ride settings; sport, normal and comfort), reliability and style. This is luxury inside and out. The quality of materials, suppleness, the cabin acoustic quietness separate this vehicle from the competition. The Japan derived wheelbase and cabin size, are sufficient for us and provide a uniquely small footprint (can park into compact spaces). It makes for an easy to maneuver and drive vehicle. Rear backup cameras and parking sensors give you extra confidence. The third row seats are occasionally used but could only fit small adults or kids. There isn't a ton of storage space like larger sized US based SUVs. That is why I cannot give Interior and Convenience a 10. These cars run long into the mileage with very minor issues to deal with, except items like tires, lights, etc.."

my best vehicle in over 50 yrs.

By on Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"This is by far the nicest car or suv we have ever owned. I have had 0 trouble with it. Just keep the oil changed, tires rotated and that is it."

Lexus 2004 GX470

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2008

"Thought that the ride would be better with adjustible ride settings. Lacking independent rear suspension results in significant shocks to passengers when exiting or entering driveways. Front suspension is also less than acceptable as the steering wheel shimmies at freeway speeds even after multiple attempts to correct by the dealer. Nice to look at and sit in, but the ride has convinced me to return at the end of the lease less than satisfied."

A really safe vehicle

By on Thursday, July 24, 2008

"Unfortunately my wife recently was in a serious auto accident, fortunatley she was driving our GX 470. The car's safety features did their thing and my wife walked away with only bumps and bruises but our GX 470 was totaled. Our sincere thanks to the safety engineers at Lexus."

Would buy again!

By on Friday, November 23, 2007

"I leased a 2005 GX. It has been a great SUV. Very comfortable and smooth ride. Not a single problem and no complaints! I am considering buying at the end of the lease becuase it is such a great vehicle. Waiting to see if there is a hybrid available first. My last SUV was a Mercedes. I am a Lexus buyer from here on out! Great job Lexus!"

First Lexus/ Great

By on Sunday, September 30, 2007

"Purchased GX 470 first of 2007. Sold my 2004 Lincoln Navigator. The dealer did not want the Navigator because of resale value. Sold for a BIG loss. The GX is smaller than the Navigator, but "oh" what a ride!! The GX is the finest automobile I have owned. The Lexus is made so well. I am looking at the new LX 570, but they want even be available until January 2008. May even keep GX I like it so well. FKW"

MPG is the only downside

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "overall Lexus unbeatable quality."

Cons: "MPG"

"We've owned 3 different Lexus - SC 430 convertible, RX 300, GX 470. The only downside to any of Lexus's AWD SUVs is the gas mileage. Which there was a quality SUV built that could get in the 40 MPG. But I know that just isn't realistic, as you pay for the weight and size of driving a bigger vehicle."

My favorite vehicle ever!

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "Safe, quiet, loaded, great vehicle"

Cons: "........ no cons for me :)"

"I love the Lexus vehicles! This is my 8th Lexus & you can not beat the quality and comfort. My favorite part about this SUV is the back door that opens to the side - LOVE THIS OPTION! I've always bought a Lexus with the Mark Levinson sound system, too - certainly beats a Bose. ;) This vehicle feels so safe and there is so much room in the cabin & in the back seat. #1 all around!"

Best Auto I have ever owned!

By on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pros: "great drive, power, comfort, styling, accesories,"

Cons: "gas mileage(but the safety is worth it)"

"LOVE this SUV. Previous to my purchase of the GX I had a 325XI which I adored. It was going to take something really special to make me trade it in. Well, the GX did it. I couldn't be any happier with the ride, safety, luxury feel, look/styling, convenience. I really appreciate this vehicle when I get into something else. I can't wait to get back in behind the wheel of my SUV. I would say if you are looking for a SUV that you would put your mother, grandmother and kids all at one time, this is the one! I anticipate it lasting for 200,000 miles so don't look for me in a car dealership anytime soon!!"

Perfect vehicle!

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "Great overall vehicle especially if you have child"

Cons: "Low gas mileage 16 mpg"

"Perfect combination of car and truck. Great SUV! Only downside is gas mileage, only 16 mpg and you must use premium gas."

Best car I ever owned!

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "Great price, great family car, comfortable, sporty"

Cons: "Third row seats not as convienent as I would like"

"I love this car and am very sad to get rid of it. I'm driving farther to work each day and need something more economical but even if I had to do it all over again I would in a heart beat!"

Best SUV ever had.

By on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"I've owned BMW X5, 330, 740, 530, Porsche 911, Toyota Landcruiser, Lexus SC400, LS400, LS430 by far this has been the most fun, versatile, safe, comfortable and confident vehicle to use with family and kids. What I love most is its reliability and problems free build quality. More than 100K miles and I have zero problem today (2003-2009). Just basic maintenance which can be easily DIY jobs. It shares the basic chassis as the Japanese version Toyota Land-cruiser Prado which is very famous as the most capable off road SUV used worldwide. Go search on YouTube for Prado off road clips and you will know what I mean. Mark Levison and DVD entertainment plus all the electronic assisted features are just pure awesomeness. Best value an best bangs for the bucks period."

2nd Best after the LX

By on Sunday, September 20, 2009

"I Leased a 2006, I was so happy with it that I leased the new 2009 again. Navigation system is user freindly. Never had a problem with the car. I enjoy driving it. Sound system is outstanding. Beautefull design, comfortable and dependable. When you close the windowes, you don't hear any thing even the engin. Only thing bad is the way to close the 3rd seat, and very tight leg room in 3rd row seat."

Very Good But Not Tops

By on Saturday, July 18, 2009

"Overall I've been generally pleased with the vehicle. It rides, handles, and performs well. The second row passenger seats are extremely uncomfortable and hard, which is unexpected for a luxury SUV. The front console is quite small with limited storage compared to other full size SUV's. I can't seem to adjust the drivers armrest to a comfortable position. The drivers side seatbelt frequently will not retract upon release, and to my surprise I was told by the dealer this is "normal" - not normal in my book to have it loose and slam it in the door on occasion. I do like how the vehicle drives and handles very much. Exterior styling seems quite conservative compared to others in its class,"

Awesome Truck

By on Thursday, July 16, 2009

"Owned it since Feb 2006 and gave me no problems whatsoever. Nice ride. I haven't owned a car longer than 3 years...this one did the trick. I owned a BMW x5 before this one, sure the bimmer was more agile but this GX has enough power and luxurious."

A TRUE STANDOUT

By on Friday, October 19, 2007

"I have a 2006 GX 470. This is my second one. The first one (2005 model) was totaled in a head on collision on the Interstate doing 60 mph, and I am happy to be here to write this review. I have tested first-hand the critical safety features that most of us barely glance at when we purchase a car. Height & size of vehicle, crumple zones, air-bags...worth every penny. The driver of the other vehicle (Ford Taurus) spent 6 weeks in the hospital with significant injuries (for the record, she was cited for the accident). I walked away with a minor injury caused by the airbag going off (but it saved my life). In addition to this, Lexus makes the most dependable and comfortable vehicles you can buy, at any price. Lexus service is second to none. For those considering BMW or Mercedes who want a first class navigation system...compare them head to head with Lexus. There is simply no comparison. Although they are more expensive vehicles, these other manufacturer's nav systems are difficult to use, and hardly intuitive (The BMW "I-drive"...is a real misnomer). I wouldn't consider buying anything else."

great truck

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"great truck, holds value well, traded for an 07 gx and got 30k w/81,000 miles."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Lexus GX near Honolulu. See local deals