2001 Lexus ES Consumer Reviews

Much better than Camry

By on Saturday, February 23, 2008

"I discovered this car in 2000 by leaning on it while the salesman was trying to sell me a 1997 Avalon. I took a ride and was astounded at the difference between the two supposedly similar cars; the Lexus was at least a class above the Avalon. It had 57,000 miles and I can't believe it was any better when it was new. I used it mainly to drive the 60 miles each way to work, and it cruised comfortably on the highway. The ride was smooth and silent, and the acceleraion was immediate. I got 25-30 mpg. So where do we stand now? It's my wife's car and she prefers it to the 2000 Avalon I have. But she's concerned that a 200K car won't be reliable, so we're selling it. I'll be sorry to see it go. So what's gone wrong? Nothing much. The worst thing that happened was that our local friendly garage mechanic put (I believe) the wrong shocks on it at around 120K and the ride was never the same again. We had to replace an emissions sensor at aound 150K and the whole display for the stereo fails to work, though the sound system itself is fine. The quality of the whole car is such that you feel nothing can go wrong, so you get annoyed when it does. I bought it at 57K for $20,000. There are tiouches on it that you wouldn't notice, because the Camry does without them, like a shock absorber for the engine sub-mount and thicker glass all round. The extra money for the Lexus has gone into many improvents like this - it's not just a Camry with wood inside. The salesman when I bought it said, "Be careful, once you own a Lexus you won't be satisfied with anything less." I know just what he meant, and although my budget has never allowed me to buy another one, it's the best car I've ever owned."

Unmatchable Quality

By on Sunday, May 02, 2010

"My 2001 ES300 is hands-down the best vehicle I have owned. I've owned almost every make, and can easily say that the Lexus is in a league of its own. I purchased mine with 79,000, and am about to eclipse 110,000 now. As a car enthusiast, I will try to provide the most useful review. Powertrain: The VVT-i motor provides ample power. Not a race car, but by no means sluggish. Great midrange power band that provides even power at all speeds. If you want performance, look at an IS or a GS. My only complaint is that the 2001 still had the 4-speed OD transmission. It is smooth as silk and bulletproof, but tends to downshift in to first around corners. No oil burning, just have to change it every 3000. Timing belt must be done around 90k, which costs about 600-800. Exterior: Pretty modest, but classy and well-built. I have been rear-ended and t-boned, but both times there was very little damage. These are very safe cars. The upgraded taillights distinguish 2000 and 2001 models, as do the darker fog lights and front bumper. The paint quality is terrific- it is rare to see an ES300 of any year with rust or major fading. The only paint gripe is that the B pillars fade on most of the 97-01 models. 15" wheels are a little small, but there is a 16" upgrade which is more sporty and modern. Interior: Great fit and finish- nothing rattles. The quality of plastics, vinyl, and leather is great. Seats are supportive and comfortable on long drives. Heated seats are essential in colder areas. The wood trim is California walnut, and of nice quality. The sound system is amazing. I have the standard stereo (non Mark Levinson), and it is very clear and powerful. The factory subwoofer is deep and effective. Electroluminescent gauges look very classy and bright. As far as value, Lexus can't be beat. I have lost little resale since purchase, and haven't put unnecessary money in to upkeep. These cars get a little better performance and MPG on premium, but unlike other Japanese cars you do not need to use high octane fuel. I get good highway MPG (between 26-32) but city driving is pretty bismal (15-20). This is a timeless car that you can count on and be proud of. The sticker price is high, but the cost of ownership is unbelievably low. Plus, resale is better than any American, German, or other Japanese make. Probably one of the best overall cars out there."

Outstanding vehicle

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

"I have been so satified with this car. It has over 300K miles on it and all I have ever had to do is regular maintenance. It still runs, drives and looks great after all of these years."

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted