2001 Lexus ES

9.5

Based on 292 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

By on Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pros: "Drive it. You'll love it."

Cons: "Wish it got a couple of more miles per gallon."

"I've had my 1997 Lexus for 14 years and going to keep it until it dies. It has been the most reliable automobile I have ever owned. Regular oil changes and maintence keeps it running smoothly. One major repair has been the timing belt, but guess what it will probably out live me. I'm 65 years of age."

Best car ever! Lowest maintenance - Unbelievable!

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Very reliable; only routine maintenance - no prob."

Cons: "back cup holders are week."

"I bought my '97 Lexus ES300 new. I have always provided regular maintenance on the car (oil changes, tire rotations, major "check ups" at recommended intervals i.e. 60k, 90k, etc) but otherwise this car has been the most trouble free car ever. At 180,000 miles, I just replaced the rear brake pads for the 2nd time (yes you read that correctly). The front brake pads were replaced at 90k and are still going strong! I recently had to have a new spark plug at 175k (the first and only one). Otherwise a few other items have had to be replaced in the past couple of years (items that for other cars would have gone much sooner - muffler/exhaust (due to rust), and I also put new shock absorbers on the car. Each of these items were required above 150k and really are just maintenance items that any other car would have needed much sooner. The car still drives as smooth and quiet as it did 15 years ago, in fact, I have to really pay attention too the speedometer because you can find yourself going too fast without realizing it b/c the engine doesn't rev even at high speeds despite its age and # of miles. I have always used premium gas and the car gets 26 MPG on avg. As you can tell, I love this car despite the fact that I also own a 2006 Lexus RX350, 2006 BMW 330 ci (hate BMW - not reliable and certainly not "ultimate driving machine" - but convertible is fun; and 2011 Infiniti G37x - also highly recommended."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Wednesday, December 24, 2008

"This is my 2nd ES300. I've always been extremely pleased with both. I've had my 1999 for 9 years now and still love driving it and still find myself looking back to admire it when I'm walking away from it."

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"bought my 2000 ES 7 years ago, used. WOW what a great car it is and still is. I have put 180,000 miles on it with only 2 problems. Gas cap needed to be replaced that was scary because the "check engine" light came on while I was on the freeway ($75) and the driver's side window rolled down and wouldn't go up ($350) 1 day before Thanksgiving. I test drove a brand new Toyota Solara several months ago and did not buy it because my 8 year old car still rode better than a brand new car."

Mixed Feelings

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"I upgraded to this 2004 after driving a 1999 Lexus ES300. I've been very disappointed with its responsiveness - huge hesitation when accelerating. I also despise the automatic windshield wipers, which are NEVER at the speed that I'd like them to be. (Give me my old intermittent wipers any day.) It is great on long trips, though, and very quiet and smooth on the highway."

This car owes me nothing

By on Saturday, October 06, 2012

Pros: "reliability, comfortable ride. very high miles."

Cons: "High initial cost"

"This 1997 Lexus ES with 284,000 miles has been fantastic. It is still going stung and I would keep it but my son needs a car. I wanted to drive it to at least 300,000 but will pass it on to him. The only thing other than regular maintenance and oil changes every 3 months or 3,000 miles has been some work on the air conditioning that cost $300 part of the muffler system. It has been serviced by a local mechanic after initial servicing by the Lexus dealer. I have always used Lexus parts. I am considering the new Lexus 200CT or a Prius for my next car."

love it!

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

"It lasts forever. Ive had this car for years, and I rarely have to fix anything on it. I love how smoothly it still drives. I want another lexus!"

Dependable and comfortable and gets good mileage

By on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable"

Cons: "less than 20 mpg in the city"

"This car has always been reliable and comfortable. It's a great highway cruiser and gets mid 20's on the highway."

Great, reliable car - never had an issue

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

Pros: "Great ride, reliable."

Cons: "not sure..."

"We bought this car as pre-owned with 42k miles on it and had it for the last ten years. It is an outstandingly reliable car which actually gets decent gas mileage (we are getting about 28mpg ). Anyway, we are moving toward a newer model, but with a heavy heart!"

Excellent car

By on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Bought my 98 Lexus in 2005 with 122,000 miles. Have put almost 200k on it myself. (318,000) We put very rough miles on a car and this vehicle takes every bit of it. We have put some money into it for repairs, but I think you will with any car. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, and have actually been looking for one. Great car!"

Nice Starter Luxury Car

By on Monday, July 26, 2010

"Love the climate control. Reliable going through the "grapevine" from southern California to Central California. Has never overheated and I run the AC-runs cold. Very reliable and sharp looking with tinted windows, which I have. Excellent sound system and amazing trunk space! Various power seat adjustments for driver and passnger; raised for shorter people & lowered for taller, forward and backward for leg length and of course the back of the seat forward and backward as well as the lumbar support. Little slow on the acceleration, especially going uphill if you don't have enough momentum going or are not at 3rpms. Also slows down quickly when you let off the gas so you can't conserve fuel by "coasting" at a speed for longer than a few seconds. Otherwise, I feel I got a great deal! Bought mine at 78k miles and have put 30k miles in almost 3 years. Mostly highway. Definitely going to buy a lexus when I let go of this, which will be hard to do."

LEXUS OWNER FOREVER!

By on Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"My dad gave me his 1998 ES300 a few years ago and I have not had a single problem since. It now has 290,500 miles and it runs like a brand new one. I put chrome 17s on it and tinted the windows and it looks awsome. I get many complements on it and when I tell them the year and miles they don't believe me. I love everything about it, great mpg, very comfortable, and good power. I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off and at the rate that its going it will probably be while. I will never buy anything but a Lexus for as long as I live!"

Saved my life

By on Thursday, November 19, 2009

"I have owned my Lexus for 8 years now, it has 178,000 miles on it. I was rear ended 4 years ago, I was at a complete stop and was hit by someone doing 50mph. My car rolled and I survived. I again was hit last week, I was at a stop light and was rear ended by someone driving 40mph. These cars have steel bumpers, the volvo wagon that hit me was totaled, and I just need to replace my bumper. Thank you Lexus!"

By on Sunday, June 21, 2009

"I have owned this vehicle for almost 10 yrs now. It has 240K miles on it and it has only had 1 tune up. I change oil every 6k miles and have only had to change an axle, my fault for ripping in the snow. This has been a great dependable vehicle. I'm sure I'll own it for another 3-5 yrs. I get 29 miles/gallon avg. so I drive it to work for my 55 mile commute. Lexus (toyota) quality at its finest."

By on Thursday, December 11, 2008

"Smooth, and at 145,000 still runs new!"

Use your intelligence, buy one of these!

By on Friday, April 11, 2008

"I've driven new Benz's, BMW's, Porsche's and Lexus' (worked at a dealership). The Lexus, in comparison to it's competitors, is more reliable, more comfortable, and much more practical (FWD) for the NY climate I must endure. I've owned many cars and I will never stray from Toyota/Lexus again."

Excellent Car

By on Friday, February 01, 2008

"Best car I ever owned!!! You can bet your bottom dollar when I decide to get a new car it will be another lexus. Not for status symbol but overall vaule and realibility and fun. How many other 10 year old cars bring 10, 11 and even 12 thousand on the resale market???"

Great car

By on Friday, October 05, 2007

"Nice complete package! First lexus I've owned and find the reliability and workmanship outstanding. Quietest vehicle I've ever driven. Not the most stylish, but styling is adequate for a sedan. Just wish it was a bit bigger in the back seat."

This car has been incredible for 15 yrs

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pros: "Beautiful looking car, drives like a dream."

Cons: "one cup holder damaged,"

"The interior is cream colored Leather Excellent condition exterior is Light and dark silver also in excellent condition. This car has just been driven from the East Coast to the West Coast with no problems whoever buys it will get about another 10 yrs of worry free driving."

It simply is the best car I have ever owned.

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

"I would own another If I could afford it but alas I cannot..."

Old faithful. Few problems, many rewards

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "enduring and endearing still beautiful"

Cons: "badly designed cup holders"

"The car has lived in very sunny areas - Arizona, Hawaii and now Florida and paint bubbled up enough to require a new paint job and leather on front seats and console is cracked and worn, but other than that the only real deficiency is of a badly designed cup holder. I still love this car and wouldn't consider giving it up. For a car as old as she is, she still gets pretty good mileage. Her turning radius is remarkable and still has plenty of zip on the highway. We having driven together from San Diego to Florida without event when she was a young 14 year old with only 150000 miles on her. She was in 2 car accidents being rear ended where the cars at fault were maximally damaged, and she has little tiny dents in her bumper. I hope I age as well as she is."

I bought my 1997 pre-owned Lexus in 2000, Love it!

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "pricey! Burt great quality...."

"The only thing I would improve is the seats to include a better lumbar support... I learned to never buy another silver or grey colored car! Other drivers don't see me."

Very dependable

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Cons: "cup holders"

"Cup holders aren't too good, need better design. Nowhere to put anything, except floor. FYI- Anyone with sun roof... there should be drain holes on both sides, they are small but get clogged with leaves etc... Use very stiff wire to "ream" it out carefully. Mine goes all the way past the top of the doors. When you get it cleaned you will see water"

first lexus

By on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Pros: "ease of driving. controls are very easy to use."

Cons: "no heated front seat. cups fall out of the holders"

"I bought this automobile used from a reliable dealer on his recomendation and could not have been happier. If not for being given a more expensive cadillac I would drive this car forever."

this is the best car ever!!!

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "very fun to drive and very comfortable"

"I love this car, minimum maintenence, had my lexus for 10 yrs and only thing that I have had to replace is the starter. Very good car!"