2001 Lexus ES

9.4

Based on 290 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Much better than Camry

By on Saturday, February 23, 2008

"I discovered this car in 2000 by leaning on it while the salesman was trying to sell me a 1997 Avalon. I took a ride and was astounded at the difference between the two supposedly similar cars; the Lexus was at least a class above the Avalon. It had 57,000 miles and I can't believe it was any better when it was new. I used it mainly to drive the 60 miles each way to work, and it cruised comfortably on the highway. The ride was smooth and silent, and the acceleraion was immediate. I got 25-30 mpg. So where do we stand now? It's my wife's car and she prefers it to the 2000 Avalon I have. But she's concerned that a 200K car won't be reliable, so we're selling it. I'll be sorry to see it go. So what's gone wrong? Nothing much. The worst thing that happened was that our local friendly garage mechanic put (I believe) the wrong shocks on it at around 120K and the ride was never the same again. We had to replace an emissions sensor at aound 150K and the whole display for the stereo fails to work, though the sound system itself is fine. The quality of the whole car is such that you feel nothing can go wrong, so you get annoyed when it does. I bought it at 57K for $20,000. There are tiouches on it that you wouldn't notice, because the Camry does without them, like a shock absorber for the engine sub-mount and thicker glass all round. The extra money for the Lexus has gone into many improvents like this - it's not just a Camry with wood inside. The salesman when I bought it said, "Be careful, once you own a Lexus you won't be satisfied with anything less." I know just what he meant, and although my budget has never allowed me to buy another one, it's the best car I've ever owned."

Unmatchable Quality

By on Sunday, May 02, 2010

"My 2001 ES300 is hands-down the best vehicle I have owned. I've owned almost every make, and can easily say that the Lexus is in a league of its own. I purchased mine with 79,000, and am about to eclipse 110,000 now. As a car enthusiast, I will try to provide the most useful review. Powertrain: The VVT-i motor provides ample power. Not a race car, but by no means sluggish. Great midrange power band that provides even power at all speeds. If you want performance, look at an IS or a GS. My only complaint is that the 2001 still had the 4-speed OD transmission. It is smooth as silk and bulletproof, but tends to downshift in to first around corners. No oil burning, just have to change it every 3000. Timing belt must be done around 90k, which costs about 600-800. Exterior: Pretty modest, but classy and well-built. I have been rear-ended and t-boned, but both times there was very little damage. These are very safe cars. The upgraded taillights distinguish 2000 and 2001 models, as do the darker fog lights and front bumper. The paint quality is terrific- it is rare to see an ES300 of any year with rust or major fading. The only paint gripe is that the B pillars fade on most of the 97-01 models. 15" wheels are a little small, but there is a 16" upgrade which is more sporty and modern. Interior: Great fit and finish- nothing rattles. The quality of plastics, vinyl, and leather is great. Seats are supportive and comfortable on long drives. Heated seats are essential in colder areas. The wood trim is California walnut, and of nice quality. The sound system is amazing. I have the standard stereo (non Mark Levinson), and it is very clear and powerful. The factory subwoofer is deep and effective. Electroluminescent gauges look very classy and bright. As far as value, Lexus can't be beat. I have lost little resale since purchase, and haven't put unnecessary money in to upkeep. These cars get a little better performance and MPG on premium, but unlike other Japanese cars you do not need to use high octane fuel. I get good highway MPG (between 26-32) but city driving is pretty bismal (15-20). This is a timeless car that you can count on and be proud of. The sticker price is high, but the cost of ownership is unbelievably low. Plus, resale is better than any American, German, or other Japanese make. Probably one of the best overall cars out there."

Outstanding vehicle

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

"I have been so satified with this car. It has over 300K miles on it and all I have ever had to do is regular maintenance. It still runs, drives and looks great after all of these years."

Bought a used 97 Lexus ES 300 the best used car

By on Saturday, April 13, 2013

Reason: Upgrade to another lexus

Pros: "Genuine leather interior,comfortable on long drive"

Cons: "Cup holders and Radio secreen"

"I bought used 1997 ES 300 in 2008. It was high milage at 169000 at the time. I was very skeptical about high miles but I fell in love with the car at first sight. This car never gave me any problem and I sold it in Mrach 2013 with 204000 miles on it. No problem what so ever in 4 years. only changed Altenator & Battery and off course changed tires. Great experience with Lexus will buy another one any time, actually looking to buy a 1999 ES 300. Great car and nice safety with luxry"

Used Lexus is worth it

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

"I have had my car for only 3 years but my brother had it for several years prior. I of course did not buy it new. The thing is, I have added approx 200,000 miles on it in my short 3 years and have had no major costly problems. Despite all that driving and how old it is it still drives like it's a new car. My point here is that if you can't afford a new car or just think they're not worth the $$ (like I do) then I recommend old luxury cars. Because even though I don't have all the fancy stuff new cars have, I still don't feel like I'm driving a cheap vehicle that will break down any moment. Lexus is awesome!"

What an awesome car!!!

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Reason: Was time to move on

Pros: "The most reliable car ever!!, Smooth drive"

Cons: "Nothing!!"

"I purchased this car used with over 170,000 miles and after it was in a accident. I fixed the cosmetic issues and this baby drove smoother than any car I have ever driven. And it kept on driving that way at 243,000 miles but I ended up selling it to get a newer car. If your looking for the most reliable car, go for this car."

Still drives beautifully even after 200k

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

"I bought my 2001 Lexus ES300 from a dealer several years ago. It had 75k on it when I purchased it. Wowww who knew then that I would still enjoy it after so many carefree miles. Nothing ever goes wrong with these cars. Especially the older ones. My daughter has well over 200k on her 98 ES300. I change the oil do regular mantenince at they just keep running and running. I am so impressed. I keep test driving newer cars and keep coming back to my tried and true Lexus."

The Best Car

By on Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pros: "Highly Reliable Family Car; Low Maintenance. Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Caalytic Converters; need to replace every 2 years."

"I have this car at 200K ; wow, year 2011, still runs brand new; only changes are catalytic converter for emission inspection; other than that, just regular maintenance. btw, I bought at 83K miles in 2005. Never worried about long distance; several trips to Miami, Florida Keys, Pittsburgh, West Virginia,Chicago, Detroit...No problems at all. I highly recommend this. Planning to add another 50K-80K miles and sell."

Outstanding dependable, comfortable automobile

By on Friday, September 09, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive and comfortable. Has lots of get up and go!"

"This car is really a luxury vehicle in every sense of the word. I recommend it for a dependable used vehicle. Mileage on freeway driving is 33MPG plus"

2001 ES300

By on Monday, April 27, 2009

"I have owned this vehicle for 1 year now and am absolutely satisfied. I bought it when it had 160k miles and now has 180k miles on it. The previous owner had all the maintenance done at the Lexus dealer so the car was in excellent condition. The only problem that I have had was the ignition coils. I had to replace 2 of them and they were kind of pricey ($120 ea. plus $140 for the labor if you choose to take it to the shop). If you do all of the maintenance when you are supposed to, you will not have any trouble with the car. I just returned from a long spring break trip and the car didn't let me down. None of the 3 passengers didn't complain about the comfort at any time. I get 30mpg on the highway and about 13-14 mpg inside the city. Yeah its that bad. The car is not that much fun to drive since it is a little bit on the heavy side but I have a motorcycle to compensate for that. The car has excellent handling in snow. Handles better than my sisters 4wd Subaru. One last thing is the on-board computer. It turned on the Check Engine light when I was going down a very steep hill in San Francisco and once when I was driving with the tire chains on. If you ride for about 200 miles the computer will realize that there isn't actually a problem and turn off by itself. This is getting lengthy but I think that the other buyers should get and in depth review about their next car anyway. If you are looking for a luxury, comfortable car that will never let you down at any condition this is it."