1999 Lexus ES

9.4

Based on 285 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Great Vehicle, Great Value, Sweet Ride

By on Friday, November 08, 2013

Pros: "great V6 engine, sexy exterior design, good MPG"

Cons: "cup holder design, otherwise none"

"I drove around in my dad's Lexus for over a year and loved every minute of it. This car has a top notch stereo, and its exterior design is ahead of its time. It gets pretty decent gas mileage, and drives really smooth! I loved my dad's Lexus ES300 so much, i got the exact same car with 171000 miles on it for my first car! If this car ever dies, (unlikely) i will end up buying another Lexus/Toyota in replace of it. Only things that need to be done are oil changes and common maintenance things. (brakes, tires, etc...) I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a sexy, smooth, and luxurious ride!!"

Outstanding vehicle

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

"I have been so satified with this car. It has over 300K miles on it and all I have ever had to do is regular maintenance. It still runs, drives and looks great after all of these years."

Still drives beautifully even after 200k

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

"I bought my 2001 Lexus ES300 from a dealer several years ago. It had 75k on it when I purchased it. Wowww who knew then that I would still enjoy it after so many carefree miles. Nothing ever goes wrong with these cars. Especially the older ones. My daughter has well over 200k on her 98 ES300. I change the oil do regular mantenince at they just keep running and running. I am so impressed. I keep test driving newer cars and keep coming back to my tried and true Lexus."

What an awesome car!!!

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Reason: Was time to move on

Pros: "The most reliable car ever!!, Smooth drive"

Cons: "Nothing!!"

"I purchased this car used with over 170,000 miles and after it was in a accident. I fixed the cosmetic issues and this baby drove smoother than any car I have ever driven. And it kept on driving that way at 243,000 miles but I ended up selling it to get a newer car. If your looking for the most reliable car, go for this car."

This is the best car I have ever owned.

By on Monday, July 01, 2013

Pros: "Dependablity, Smooth Ride, Stylish"

Cons: "Squeeky Brake Noise"

"I bought my car Sept 12, 2001 - very sad day in US history, but it has been the absolute best car. I am not looking forward to giving up this fine beauty when the time comes. It's a Coach Edition with onyx emblems. I must get 2 offers a month from strangers asking me if I would like to sell. The only complaint I have is squeaky brakes, which I have had since day one. The maintenance has been regular so I have not experienced any horror stories yet. I will be replacing a timing belt next week, but that is me not wanting to wait until the last moment - the repairs all have been minimal (oil changes, brakes, a battery, tires). If Lexus still builds a car like this one, I'll buy another one! It's been such a good car."

Great car! Too compact for me...

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "strong engine, reliable, great looks."

Cons: "a bit too compact for most people."

"This car has a very strong engine. Good handling, and plenty of trunk space. A couple of things that make this car a "must trade" for me, the interior is not roomy enough for me... I'm 6"tall. Though the leg room is very good, even at my height. Not very much shoulder room. The Other challenge I faced was the glove box. This car has a cd changer, so there is only enough room for a vehicle manual. I will say, my previous vehicle was a Toyota Avalon. Enough said. I got a really good deal on this car and my wife feel in love with its fun and sporty looks, and how it still manages to stay luxury at the same time with that Lexus name. You won't be disappointed with this vehicle. So long as your average to small person."

Used Lexus is worth it

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

"I have had my car for only 3 years but my brother had it for several years prior. I of course did not buy it new. The thing is, I have added approx 200,000 miles on it in my short 3 years and have had no major costly problems. Despite all that driving and how old it is it still drives like it's a new car. My point here is that if you can't afford a new car or just think they're not worth the $$ (like I do) then I recommend old luxury cars. Because even though I don't have all the fancy stuff new cars have, I still don't feel like I'm driving a cheap vehicle that will break down any moment. Lexus is awesome!"

Bought a used 97 Lexus ES 300 the best used car

By on Saturday, April 13, 2013

Reason: Upgrade to another lexus

Pros: "Genuine leather interior,comfortable on long drive"

Cons: "Cup holders and Radio secreen"

"I bought used 1997 ES 300 in 2008. It was high milage at 169000 at the time. I was very skeptical about high miles but I fell in love with the car at first sight. This car never gave me any problem and I sold it in Mrach 2013 with 204000 miles on it. No problem what so ever in 4 years. only changed Altenator & Battery and off course changed tires. Great experience with Lexus will buy another one any time, actually looking to buy a 1999 ES 300. Great car and nice safety with luxry"

very reliable and high quality

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "cup holders and the side windows do not have frame"

"my lexus only had 90,000mi on it.it is black on black and looks very nice. it has not gave me any problems... I also have a 1995 es300 with 230.000mi on it and still running strong and could easily go for another 100.000miles."

So happy I bought this car over 2 years ago!!!

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "residual value, ownership costs used, reliability"

"I am a college student and I have always had my eye on the Lexus brand. Having owned a '98 Mercedes ES320 and an '02 Acura TL in the past I was hoping Lexus wouldn't let me down. I have owned the car for 2 years now and the only thing I have had to do was replace the battery and bought new tires. Two years ago I purchased the car (I got a great deal) for $4,500 from a private party, flash ahead 2 years...and the trade in value is about that much. It amazes me how much these vehicles retain there used car value, and you can often ask $3,000 for a Lexus with over 250,000 miles on it because people know they run like a charm past 300,000 miles if well taken care of. After 13 years I started getting rust around the back wheels (this is a MN car after all). Leather seats are still in great shape, road noise is at a minimum, nice fuel economy (averaging 24) in the summer months around town, highway is about 28. The only thing I can't stand are the cup holders...unless it's a can of soda, it will tip over. I kept my Mercedes for less than a year...if things could go wrong...they did, and none of it was covered under the $4,600 extended warrantee I purchased. My Acura I kept for 5 years, great car but started to have transmission problems and it only had 89,000 miles on it. I am sure there are bad Lexus cars out there...but just like everything else you have to do your research before buying a car. My car came with a CarFax as well as all maintenance paperwork completed since day 1. My graduation gift to myself will be the 2015 Lexus IS C or the 2015 Lexus GS. I love my car and am already looking forward to having 2 Lexus vehicles in my driveway!!!"

Worst car ive owned

By on Friday, November 09, 2012

Pros: "none"

Cons: "Too many to list"

"I got this car after owning a BMW and it has been nothing but problems. Ive had it for less then a year and already have a transmission rebuilt and engine overhall. I will never buy another Lexus again. BMW all the way."

2nd. best car i've ever had ; (I've had 24 cars).

By on Friday, November 02, 2012

Pros: "Smooth ride. Great gas milage for it's size."

Cons: "My Prius gets better gas mileage."

"After 300k miles I have no complaints with this vehicle. It's been more faithful than my x-wife."

Best Most Dependable Luxury car I have ever owned

By on Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "NONE"

"Bought new with chrome wheels and adjustable suspension. Everything has worked perfectly since I have owned the car. Only put new tires and brakes on the car. I did install a new timing belt at 100k per dealer recommendation. Never had any issues because everything just works. Many people have tried to buy it from me but since it works so well I think I will keep it for a long time."

This car owes me nothing

By on Saturday, October 06, 2012

Pros: "reliability, comfortable ride. very high miles."

Cons: "High initial cost"

"This 1997 Lexus ES with 284,000 miles has been fantastic. It is still going stung and I would keep it but my son needs a car. I wanted to drive it to at least 300,000 but will pass it on to him. The only thing other than regular maintenance and oil changes every 3 months or 3,000 miles has been some work on the air conditioning that cost $300 part of the muffler system. It has been serviced by a local mechanic after initial servicing by the Lexus dealer. I have always used Lexus parts. I am considering the new Lexus 200CT or a Prius for my next car."

best ever very reliable for 13 years

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pros: "very reliable and almost no maintance"

"Low maintenance costs. Great ride. very reliable Some rust started rear driver side."

I will never buy anything but Lexus

By on Friday, July 27, 2012

Pros: "Very quiet, timeless interior, Nakamichi Stereo"

Cons: "Cup holders do not hold cups around bends"

"This 2000 ES300 rides better than 95% of the new cars on the market in 2012. The pursuit of perfection is what Lexus professes, and they come very close with this vehicle."

My first luxury car

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pros: "Quiet, smooth ride. Nice luxury features"

Cons: "Garbage radio display and cup holders."

"Bought my 1997 ES with 75,000 miles in 2003 from the dealer. It is a true luxury car. I am eternally spoiled because of the quiet interior. No yelling over road noise. Regular mainanence has proved to keep the car in excellent running condition. It has a surge at exactly 40 miles an hour that no mechanic has been able to resolve, but that is minor. My slightly low ratings are due to a lousy radio display that delaminates and appears first as heiroglypics and then eventually black. Lexus knows of this issue and has done nothing to fix it. The option is to keep replacing the radio/CD at $650.00 (Lexus will ONLY replace the entire radio even though the display can be replaced separately)with another that will, in a couple years delaminate again. The cup holders, while an earlier generation are shallow and cheap and break easily. That is a mere $250.00 to replace. Now the clear coat is coming of my car in sheets. Is this normal? Or was my car wrecked and painted prior to my purchase and did the dealership lie when I asked? Too good a car to be mis-represented by a Lexus dealership."

By far the best car I have owned or driven,

By on Monday, July 02, 2012

"This Lexus has been a outstanding car to own, to drive, and worth the very fair price I pair for the car. I wouldn't,t consider buying any other brand."

Cup Holder Problem Solved

By on Monday, May 21, 2012

Pros: "Great Ride, quality, freeway mileage, sound system"

Cons: "Was the Cup-holders, but that has been fixed"

How to greatly improve the cup holder

"Before I bought my ES300, I read hundreds of user reviews on the 97-01 ES300. A common complaint was the useless cup holders. I bought a 2001 ES with 43K miles in December of 2010. It is a true Lexus with an excellent ride. The only problem, is the useless cup holders. Here is how to fix that. Go to a Sprinkler Irrigation Store (or a big hardware store) and buy a 4" Green Atrium Grate for a 4" drain pipe. It should cost about $6. See attached picture. There are 2 atrium grate varieties available, a green one and a black one. The black will work OK but I highly recommend the green one, since it has a bigger lip and a slightly larger base for your drink. (I painted the green one black with plastic spray paint to match the interior colors). Just turn it over and insert it into a cup holder slot. The lip of the grate fits perfectly into the lid of the arm rest to stablize it. At this point you have fixed the problem. You can take it a step further and secure a 1/2 inch spacer to the bottom of the grate for slightly more stability. It is a great fix. Never has a drink tipped over ... even a venti size Late. Now back to the rest of the car ... amazing ride, great freeway gas mileage, quiet, excellent standard sound system, comfortable, adequate power. I've only put about 5K miles on it but it feels like it will easily do 200K as many other ES300s have. This is my 3rd Lexus. They are quality cars."

How to greatly improve the cup holder

I bought my 1997 pre-owned Lexus in 2000, Love it!

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "pricey! Burt great quality...."

"The only thing I would improve is the seats to include a better lumbar support... I learned to never buy another silver or grey colored car! Other drivers don't see me."

love it!

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

"It lasts forever. Ive had this car for years, and I rarely have to fix anything on it. I love how smoothly it still drives. I want another lexus!"

Perfect Commuter Car

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Great to drive everyday as a commuter or road trip"

Cons: "Looks like every other Japanese car"

"I got this car with 80,000 miles for it on a deal. I have only had to do basic repairs for the six years I have owned it. The way it drives is excellent. The suspension is my favorite part of my car because I never feel any bumps on the road. The seats and sound system make a comfortable ride to and from work as easy as possible. The only downsize is the looks. It is not the prettiest car and is easily confused with other Japanese cars from the 90s. I do love this car!"

Very dependable

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Cons: "cup holders"

"Cup holders aren't too good, need better design. Nowhere to put anything, except floor. FYI- Anyone with sun roof... there should be drain holes on both sides, they are small but get clogged with leaves etc... Use very stiff wire to "ream" it out carefully. Mine goes all the way past the top of the doors. When you get it cleaned you will see water"

BMW is waaaaaaaay better

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "reliable, luxury dealership, prestige"

Cons: "noisy, basic, weak suspension, flimsy."

"After owning two BMWs I decided to try something different and go with a Lexus, boy am I sorry I did that. Lexus and BMW are two different mindsets. Lexus is an inexpensive luxury car designed to be ultra-reliable. BMW is an expensive top of the line, ultra-luxury car designed to be exciting, fancy, and high performance. Economy is not part of the BMW design goal. That said, having owned BMW, Lexus feels like an economy car. I just hated it. It's loud with road noise, does not include many gadgets (BMW is positively bristling with gadgets and features), the suspension is weak, it has a crummy tiny gas tank, and the list goes on. If want you want is a nice car that's not too expensive and is ultra-reliable and cheap to maintain, a Lexus might be good for you. But if what you want, or have gotten used to, is the nicest car in the world that is fancy and high-performance, and you don't mind paying extra for that, then BMW wins with no contest. Lexus doesn't give you many gadgets and features because the more gadgets they give you, the more likely it is that one will break. Also I have found various weaknesses with the Lexus, like the struts are weak, the suspension bottoms out when the car is loaded with rear passengers, it gets lousy gas mileage (my much nicer BMW 5 gets 31mpg and my economy ES300 gets only 24mpg)."

Great!