1998 Lexus ES

9.4

Based on 290 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Best Car Ever Owned

By on Saturday, September 15, 2007

"I purchased this car in Nov. 2006 pre-owned with 25,000 miles. The car currently has 48,000 miles. The car is roomy, rides like a dream, and still looks new. I have taken the car on long trips with great gas mileage of 35 MPG and the most comfortable ride of any car I have owned. I will be a repeat Lexus owner when this one is replaced. I would recommend a Lexus to everyone looking for a luxury car."

So happy I bought this car over 2 years ago!!!

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "residual value, ownership costs used, reliability"

"I am a college student and I have always had my eye on the Lexus brand. Having owned a '98 Mercedes ES320 and an '02 Acura TL in the past I was hoping Lexus wouldn't let me down. I have owned the car for 2 years now and the only thing I have had to do was replace the battery and bought new tires. Two years ago I purchased the car (I got a great deal) for $4,500 from a private party, flash ahead 2 years...and the trade in value is about that much. It amazes me how much these vehicles retain there used car value, and you can often ask $3,000 for a Lexus with over 250,000 miles on it because people know they run like a charm past 300,000 miles if well taken care of. After 13 years I started getting rust around the back wheels (this is a MN car after all). Leather seats are still in great shape, road noise is at a minimum, nice fuel economy (averaging 24) in the summer months around town, highway is about 28. The only thing I can't stand are the cup holders...unless it's a can of soda, it will tip over. I kept my Mercedes for less than a year...if things could go wrong...they did, and none of it was covered under the $4,600 extended warrantee I purchased. My Acura I kept for 5 years, great car but started to have transmission problems and it only had 89,000 miles on it. I am sure there are bad Lexus cars out there...but just like everything else you have to do your research before buying a car. My car came with a CarFax as well as all maintenance paperwork completed since day 1. My graduation gift to myself will be the 2015 Lexus IS C or the 2015 Lexus GS. I love my car and am already looking forward to having 2 Lexus vehicles in my driveway!!!"

All-Around Perfect Reliable Vehicle

By on Monday, August 04, 2008

"I bought this vehicle in the year 2000 with 23,000 miles on it (Certified), I now have 155,600 miles on it and the car still runs perfect. Now when I say perfect, i mean the engine is still so smooth, the car shifts gears (auto) smoothly, acceleration and turning and breaking is still so very good! Between the years 2000-2008, the major mechanical services performed on my ES300 were: The timing belt-$450. 2 Cylinders failed at different times-$225 each--This was after 130,000 miles on the car though. And the reason they failed is because at pointsi like to force the cars power and its' ability to perform under tough situations. Other regular maintenance requirements have been made such as: Tune up, tire balance, and wheel alignment every 20,000 miles. 4-New tires every 1.5 years. Oil change (synthetic) every 3,500 miles. Cooling system is excellent, car never over-heated even under the hot extreme conditions i have put it through. Oil warms up well enough to drive in less then 4 minutes. Over all this car is excellent, from the engine side, to the comfort side. Very safe and affordable luxury vehicle. I'm sure this vehicle won't be as good anymore in the upcoming years because of it's many years on the road, and you obviously will never find a new '99 ES300 anymore, but the similar vehicles made by Lexus or any vehicles made by Lexus, 99% of the time will get the same ratings reviews. EXCELLENT RELIABLE PRODUCTION -Thank You Lexus. :)"

Best Vehicle I've ever owned

By on Thursday, August 09, 2007

"When I purchased my 2002 Lexus two years ago it had 73000 miles on it. Alot of research went into buying a car with that many miles. Being from the old school, when cars would fall apart after 50000 miles, I discided to bite the bullet and purchased this car for $18000. I have taken this car to Florida twice and never thought about it. I would recommend a Lexus to anyone. I will be a loyal Lexus customer from now on!"

very reliable and high quality

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "cup holders and the side windows do not have frame"

"my lexus only had 90,000mi on it.it is black on black and looks very nice. it has not gave me any problems... I also have a 1995 es300 with 230.000mi on it and still running strong and could easily go for another 100.000miles."

2nd. best car i've ever had ; (I've had 24 cars).

By on Friday, November 02, 2012

Pros: "Smooth ride. Great gas milage for it's size."

Cons: "My Prius gets better gas mileage."

"After 300k miles I have no complaints with this vehicle. It's been more faithful than my x-wife."

Simply Amazing!

By on Sunday, May 23, 2010

"I've never experienced a car that is 13 years old and still drives like it is new! From the engine to the paint to the interior, everything holds up and stands the test of time! My '97 ES300 with 193k miles has more features and drives smoother than some of the current domestic models on the road today! My only gripe is the gas mileage--Combined city/highway driving is 17 MPG and from what I hear this is pretty standard. Other than that, if you want a stylish, quality and well built car that still looks new 10+ years later, get an ES300 today!"

My most favorite car

By on Saturday, January 09, 2010

"I would also like to add my two cents about my 1998 Lexus Es300. It's the 4th car that I've driven, and I am the 3rd owner. I am in love with the car. I bought it at 103k miles in 8-2007 and I have 166k on it now. It still runs and looks great. The audio system is very good being the Nakamichi system. It has a good amount of power that is not hindered by it's 3700lb weight. Gas mileage is good too! I have gotten 32mpg on highway trips, and I usually get an average of 28mpg with combined highway and city driving. The only thing that I have had to do to it besides regular maintenance is replace the rear struts- which is an age related thing. Other than that, just brakes, tires and battery. If you are looking for a used car- even if it's over 10 years old, you will NOT be disappointed! The styling is a bit boring- but that's classic Lexus. These cars will easily go to 250k-300k miles. I hope I can keep it that long; the only thing that would stop me is my husband wanting a different or newer car. I've owned 3 11+ year old american cars before this, and not one of them can hold a candle to this one. I love it!!!!"

A Classic Lexus Experience

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "ride, cabin, reliability, luxury"

Cons: "handling, city mpg, slow"

"This Lexus is highly practical but also rather luxurious. It has a very definitively smooth ride that can be compared to riding on a cloud or even ice skating. The same suspension that makes this car very comfortable also makes it dispirited and at times dull, for a young guy like me anyway. The chassis absorbs even the harshest bumps well and the speed of the vehicle has no reflection on the quietness of the cabin. Know that you will be hard pressed to find a smoother running sedan. The luxurious features of the this car are top of the line (for 2001) heated electric adjustable seats are extremely comfortable. I have owned this car from 60k-80k miles and reliability has been excellent absolutely no mechanical issues whatsoever. The electronic components match the superb quality of the engine and suspension. Everything is extremely well put together resulting in an extremely quiet ride. The only gripes I have with this car is its, engine which while being of an outstanding reliability (the mk2), manages to obtain poor city gas mileage but only demands regular fuel. Sort of a mixed bag really. The more up to date engines of today surpass the mk2 in every category except, again, unparalleled reliability. But the mk2 is not overly slow,being a 3.0 V6. It can give you a rush if you put your foot down, but don't expect to win any drag races. This would be an excellent car for a person who wants an extra smooth ride, reliability, and a luxurious experience at a cheap price.If your are above the age of 25 this car is heaven. But id like to feel the road and get the adrenaline pumping when i drive so this car isn't best suited for someone like me. For young enthusiastic drivers, please look elsewhere. An added bonus is the car is amazing on the snow (as long as you have decent all season tires), due to the design most of the weight falls on the front wheels. I live in Chicago so I know how it handles in bad weather. Other cars I have owned and would recommend: -Lexus LS 430 2001 -Toyota Sienna 1998 -Honda Civic EX 2006 -Acura TL 2004"

Great Vehicle, Great Value, Sweet Ride

By on Friday, November 08, 2013

Pros: "great V6 engine, sexy exterior design, good MPG"

Cons: "cup holder design, otherwise none"

"I drove around in my dad's Lexus for over a year and loved every minute of it. This car has a top notch stereo, and its exterior design is ahead of its time. It gets pretty decent gas mileage, and drives really smooth! I loved my dad's Lexus ES300 so much, i got the exact same car with 171000 miles on it for my first car! If this car ever dies, (unlikely) i will end up buying another Lexus/Toyota in replace of it. Only things that need to be done are oil changes and common maintenance things. (brakes, tires, etc...) I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a sexy, smooth, and luxurious ride!!"