1998 Lexus ES

9.5

Based on 292 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Much better than Camry

By on Saturday, February 23, 2008

"I discovered this car in 2000 by leaning on it while the salesman was trying to sell me a 1997 Avalon. I took a ride and was astounded at the difference between the two supposedly similar cars; the Lexus was at least a class above the Avalon. It had 57,000 miles and I can't believe it was any better when it was new. I used it mainly to drive the 60 miles each way to work, and it cruised comfortably on the highway. The ride was smooth and silent, and the acceleraion was immediate. I got 25-30 mpg. So where do we stand now? It's my wife's car and she prefers it to the 2000 Avalon I have. But she's concerned that a 200K car won't be reliable, so we're selling it. I'll be sorry to see it go. So what's gone wrong? Nothing much. The worst thing that happened was that our local friendly garage mechanic put (I believe) the wrong shocks on it at around 120K and the ride was never the same again. We had to replace an emissions sensor at aound 150K and the whole display for the stereo fails to work, though the sound system itself is fine. The quality of the whole car is such that you feel nothing can go wrong, so you get annoyed when it does. I bought it at 57K for $20,000. There are tiouches on it that you wouldn't notice, because the Camry does without them, like a shock absorber for the engine sub-mount and thicker glass all round. The extra money for the Lexus has gone into many improvents like this - it's not just a Camry with wood inside. The salesman when I bought it said, "Be careful, once you own a Lexus you won't be satisfied with anything less." I know just what he meant, and although my budget has never allowed me to buy another one, it's the best car I've ever owned."

What an awesome car!!!

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Reason: Was time to move on

Pros: "The most reliable car ever!!, Smooth drive"

Cons: "Nothing!!"

"I purchased this car used with over 170,000 miles and after it was in a accident. I fixed the cosmetic issues and this baby drove smoother than any car I have ever driven. And it kept on driving that way at 243,000 miles but I ended up selling it to get a newer car. If your looking for the most reliable car, go for this car."

Used Lexus is worth it

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

"I have had my car for only 3 years but my brother had it for several years prior. I of course did not buy it new. The thing is, I have added approx 200,000 miles on it in my short 3 years and have had no major costly problems. Despite all that driving and how old it is it still drives like it's a new car. My point here is that if you can't afford a new car or just think they're not worth the $$ (like I do) then I recommend old luxury cars. Because even though I don't have all the fancy stuff new cars have, I still don't feel like I'm driving a cheap vehicle that will break down any moment. Lexus is awesome!"

The Best Car

By on Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pros: "Highly Reliable Family Car; Low Maintenance. Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Caalytic Converters; need to replace every 2 years."

"I have this car at 200K ; wow, year 2011, still runs brand new; only changes are catalytic converter for emission inspection; other than that, just regular maintenance. btw, I bought at 83K miles in 2005. Never worried about long distance; several trips to Miami, Florida Keys, Pittsburgh, West Virginia,Chicago, Detroit...No problems at all. I highly recommend this. Planning to add another 50K-80K miles and sell."

Outstanding dependable, comfortable automobile

By on Friday, September 09, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive and comfortable. Has lots of get up and go!"

"This car is really a luxury vehicle in every sense of the word. I recommend it for a dependable used vehicle. Mileage on freeway driving is 33MPG plus"

2001 ES300

By on Monday, April 27, 2009

"I have owned this vehicle for 1 year now and am absolutely satisfied. I bought it when it had 160k miles and now has 180k miles on it. The previous owner had all the maintenance done at the Lexus dealer so the car was in excellent condition. The only problem that I have had was the ignition coils. I had to replace 2 of them and they were kind of pricey ($120 ea. plus $140 for the labor if you choose to take it to the shop). If you do all of the maintenance when you are supposed to, you will not have any trouble with the car. I just returned from a long spring break trip and the car didn't let me down. None of the 3 passengers didn't complain about the comfort at any time. I get 30mpg on the highway and about 13-14 mpg inside the city. Yeah its that bad. The car is not that much fun to drive since it is a little bit on the heavy side but I have a motorcycle to compensate for that. The car has excellent handling in snow. Handles better than my sisters 4wd Subaru. One last thing is the on-board computer. It turned on the Check Engine light when I was going down a very steep hill in San Francisco and once when I was driving with the tire chains on. If you ride for about 200 miles the computer will realize that there isn't actually a problem and turn off by itself. This is getting lengthy but I think that the other buyers should get and in depth review about their next car anyway. If you are looking for a luxury, comfortable car that will never let you down at any condition this is it."

Crash tested A+++++

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"My ES330 was just totalled and I will really miss it. But, what a car to have a serious collision in. I was hit from behind by a pickup at 60 mph (I was stopped) and smashed into a pickup in front of me. The front seats were untouched and I got out on my own with only bruises. If you do a lot of freeway and highway driving and are looking for a safe car...this one stood the test!"

Best Car Ever Owned

By on Saturday, September 15, 2007

"I purchased this car in Nov. 2006 pre-owned with 25,000 miles. The car currently has 48,000 miles. The car is roomy, rides like a dream, and still looks new. I have taken the car on long trips with great gas mileage of 35 MPG and the most comfortable ride of any car I have owned. I will be a repeat Lexus owner when this one is replaced. I would recommend a Lexus to everyone looking for a luxury car."

So happy I bought this car over 2 years ago!!!

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "residual value, ownership costs used, reliability"

"I am a college student and I have always had my eye on the Lexus brand. Having owned a '98 Mercedes ES320 and an '02 Acura TL in the past I was hoping Lexus wouldn't let me down. I have owned the car for 2 years now and the only thing I have had to do was replace the battery and bought new tires. Two years ago I purchased the car (I got a great deal) for $4,500 from a private party, flash ahead 2 years...and the trade in value is about that much. It amazes me how much these vehicles retain there used car value, and you can often ask $3,000 for a Lexus with over 250,000 miles on it because people know they run like a charm past 300,000 miles if well taken care of. After 13 years I started getting rust around the back wheels (this is a MN car after all). Leather seats are still in great shape, road noise is at a minimum, nice fuel economy (averaging 24) in the summer months around town, highway is about 28. The only thing I can't stand are the cup holders...unless it's a can of soda, it will tip over. I kept my Mercedes for less than a year...if things could go wrong...they did, and none of it was covered under the $4,600 extended warrantee I purchased. My Acura I kept for 5 years, great car but started to have transmission problems and it only had 89,000 miles on it. I am sure there are bad Lexus cars out there...but just like everything else you have to do your research before buying a car. My car came with a CarFax as well as all maintenance paperwork completed since day 1. My graduation gift to myself will be the 2015 Lexus IS C or the 2015 Lexus GS. I love my car and am already looking forward to having 2 Lexus vehicles in my driveway!!!"

All-Around Perfect Reliable Vehicle

By on Monday, August 04, 2008

"I bought this vehicle in the year 2000 with 23,000 miles on it (Certified), I now have 155,600 miles on it and the car still runs perfect. Now when I say perfect, i mean the engine is still so smooth, the car shifts gears (auto) smoothly, acceleration and turning and breaking is still so very good! Between the years 2000-2008, the major mechanical services performed on my ES300 were: The timing belt-$450. 2 Cylinders failed at different times-$225 each--This was after 130,000 miles on the car though. And the reason they failed is because at pointsi like to force the cars power and its' ability to perform under tough situations. Other regular maintenance requirements have been made such as: Tune up, tire balance, and wheel alignment every 20,000 miles. 4-New tires every 1.5 years. Oil change (synthetic) every 3,500 miles. Cooling system is excellent, car never over-heated even under the hot extreme conditions i have put it through. Oil warms up well enough to drive in less then 4 minutes. Over all this car is excellent, from the engine side, to the comfort side. Very safe and affordable luxury vehicle. I'm sure this vehicle won't be as good anymore in the upcoming years because of it's many years on the road, and you obviously will never find a new '99 ES300 anymore, but the similar vehicles made by Lexus or any vehicles made by Lexus, 99% of the time will get the same ratings reviews. EXCELLENT RELIABLE PRODUCTION -Thank You Lexus. :)"

Best Vehicle I've ever owned

By on Thursday, August 09, 2007

"When I purchased my 2002 Lexus two years ago it had 73000 miles on it. Alot of research went into buying a car with that many miles. Being from the old school, when cars would fall apart after 50000 miles, I discided to bite the bullet and purchased this car for $18000. I have taken this car to Florida twice and never thought about it. I would recommend a Lexus to anyone. I will be a loyal Lexus customer from now on!"

very reliable and high quality

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "cup holders and the side windows do not have frame"

"my lexus only had 90,000mi on it.it is black on black and looks very nice. it has not gave me any problems... I also have a 1995 es300 with 230.000mi on it and still running strong and could easily go for another 100.000miles."

2nd. best car i've ever had ; (I've had 24 cars).

By on Friday, November 02, 2012

Pros: "Smooth ride. Great gas milage for it's size."

Cons: "My Prius gets better gas mileage."

"After 300k miles I have no complaints with this vehicle. It's been more faithful than my x-wife."

Simply Amazing!

By on Sunday, May 23, 2010

"I've never experienced a car that is 13 years old and still drives like it is new! From the engine to the paint to the interior, everything holds up and stands the test of time! My '97 ES300 with 193k miles has more features and drives smoother than some of the current domestic models on the road today! My only gripe is the gas mileage--Combined city/highway driving is 17 MPG and from what I hear this is pretty standard. Other than that, if you want a stylish, quality and well built car that still looks new 10+ years later, get an ES300 today!"

My most favorite car

By on Saturday, January 09, 2010

"I would also like to add my two cents about my 1998 Lexus Es300. It's the 4th car that I've driven, and I am the 3rd owner. I am in love with the car. I bought it at 103k miles in 8-2007 and I have 166k on it now. It still runs and looks great. The audio system is very good being the Nakamichi system. It has a good amount of power that is not hindered by it's 3700lb weight. Gas mileage is good too! I have gotten 32mpg on highway trips, and I usually get an average of 28mpg with combined highway and city driving. The only thing that I have had to do to it besides regular maintenance is replace the rear struts- which is an age related thing. Other than that, just brakes, tires and battery. If you are looking for a used car- even if it's over 10 years old, you will NOT be disappointed! The styling is a bit boring- but that's classic Lexus. These cars will easily go to 250k-300k miles. I hope I can keep it that long; the only thing that would stop me is my husband wanting a different or newer car. I've owned 3 11+ year old american cars before this, and not one of them can hold a candle to this one. I love it!!!!"

A Classic Lexus Experience

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "ride, cabin, reliability, luxury"

Cons: "handling, city mpg, slow"

"This Lexus is highly practical but also rather luxurious. It has a very definitively smooth ride that can be compared to riding on a cloud or even ice skating. The same suspension that makes this car very comfortable also makes it dispirited and at times dull, for a young guy like me anyway. The chassis absorbs even the harshest bumps well and the speed of the vehicle has no reflection on the quietness of the cabin. Know that you will be hard pressed to find a smoother running sedan. The luxurious features of the this car are top of the line (for 2001) heated electric adjustable seats are extremely comfortable. I have owned this car from 60k-80k miles and reliability has been excellent absolutely no mechanical issues whatsoever. The electronic components match the superb quality of the engine and suspension. Everything is extremely well put together resulting in an extremely quiet ride. The only gripes I have with this car is its, engine which while being of an outstanding reliability (the mk2), manages to obtain poor city gas mileage but only demands regular fuel. Sort of a mixed bag really. The more up to date engines of today surpass the mk2 in every category except, again, unparalleled reliability. But the mk2 is not overly slow,being a 3.0 V6. It can give you a rush if you put your foot down, but don't expect to win any drag races. This would be an excellent car for a person who wants an extra smooth ride, reliability, and a luxurious experience at a cheap price.If your are above the age of 25 this car is heaven. But id like to feel the road and get the adrenaline pumping when i drive so this car isn't best suited for someone like me. For young enthusiastic drivers, please look elsewhere. An added bonus is the car is amazing on the snow (as long as you have decent all season tires), due to the design most of the weight falls on the front wheels. I live in Chicago so I know how it handles in bad weather. Other cars I have owned and would recommend: -Lexus LS 430 2001 -Toyota Sienna 1998 -Honda Civic EX 2006 -Acura TL 2004"

Great Vehicle, Great Value, Sweet Ride

By on Friday, November 08, 2013

Pros: "great V6 engine, sexy exterior design, good MPG"

Cons: "cup holder design, otherwise none"

"I drove around in my dad's Lexus for over a year and loved every minute of it. This car has a top notch stereo, and its exterior design is ahead of its time. It gets pretty decent gas mileage, and drives really smooth! I loved my dad's Lexus ES300 so much, i got the exact same car with 171000 miles on it for my first car! If this car ever dies, (unlikely) i will end up buying another Lexus/Toyota in replace of it. Only things that need to be done are oil changes and common maintenance things. (brakes, tires, etc...) I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a sexy, smooth, and luxurious ride!!"

This is the best car I have ever owned.

By on Monday, July 01, 2013

Pros: "Dependablity, Smooth Ride, Stylish"

Cons: "Squeeky Brake Noise"

"I bought my car Sept 12, 2001 - very sad day in US history, but it has been the absolute best car. I am not looking forward to giving up this fine beauty when the time comes. It's a Coach Edition with onyx emblems. I must get 2 offers a month from strangers asking me if I would like to sell. The only complaint I have is squeaky brakes, which I have had since day one. The maintenance has been regular so I have not experienced any horror stories yet. I will be replacing a timing belt next week, but that is me not wanting to wait until the last moment - the repairs all have been minimal (oil changes, brakes, a battery, tires). If Lexus still builds a car like this one, I'll buy another one! It's been such a good car."

High reliability over 203,000 miles

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "High reliability"

Cons: "Not sure"

"High reliability, great for a used car. Maintaining basic service care will result in 300,000 plus miles of driving. Maintain regular oil and filter changes every 3,000-4,000 miles (not 5,000 miles due to sludge problems with other "rare" Lexus flaws ). Check engine light is common past 150,000 miles. Use fuel injector cleaner, spark plugs should be less than 80,000 miles old. More comfortable than some new $40,000 luxury cars."

love love love this car! I will buy another!

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

"All cars need maintenance but repairs are almost never with this car!!! I did replace the engine and the tranny at 200,000 miles but it is well worth it! spend 3000 for another 70.000 or more miles, Never had to pay for anything else over $100.00! Super confertable and easy on the eyes! will be buying another one!!!!!"

very best of the best

By on Sunday, November 02, 2008

"It is the very best car out there, I mean there is nothing even close to this one. You cant go wrong with it very reliable. Fun to drive on long trips, I avg 200 plus miles everyday, no issues with this car at all, gets great gas mileage for a car this size I avg 31.25 mpg, with a full size car that rides like a car twice its wieght, very quick to pass just push the gas and, your moving 85-90 in no time flat. I will own nothing else but a lexus from here on out. Nice solid cars clean lines timeless great cars."

BEST car ever!

By on Sunday, February 17, 2008

"Mine has 208K on it now and I still have yet to have any problems. This vehicle is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I will definitely look to Lexus the next time I'm ready to purchase another vehicle. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!"

lexus is tops

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2008

"I had the GS 300 for 14 years and enjoyed every minute of it. It was the most dependable and comfortable car I have had ever had. Don't know why anyone would want any other make of car. Over 240,000 miles and I only changed plugs twice and regular oil changes it ran as good as it did from day one."

I love this car

By on Friday, September 07, 2007

"I got my 2002 Lexus ES300 certified used, the first luxury car I ever owned, two years ago with 35,000 miles on it. It looked like brand new, and still does. This is the most comfortable car I've ever owned or driven in. I've had to do nothing to it except gas and oil (except now at 60K I guess I need to give her some scheduled maintenance). I alternate this car between her and her new little sister Corolla, and look forward to driving my Lexus every time. Everyone that comes in my car comments how nice it is. I recommend this car to anyone."

Best Most Dependable Luxury car I have ever owned

By on Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "NONE"

"Bought new with chrome wheels and adjustable suspension. Everything has worked perfectly since I have owned the car. Only put new tires and brakes on the car. I did install a new timing belt at 100k per dealer recommendation. Never had any issues because everything just works. Many people have tried to buy it from me but since it works so well I think I will keep it for a long time."