1997 Lexus ES

9.4

Based on 297 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Mixed Feelings

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"I upgraded to this 2004 after driving a 1999 Lexus ES300. I've been very disappointed with its responsiveness - huge hesitation when accelerating. I also despise the automatic windshield wipers, which are NEVER at the speed that I'd like them to be. (Give me my old intermittent wipers any day.) It is great on long trips, though, and very quiet and smooth on the highway."

This car owes me nothing

By on Saturday, October 6, 2012

Pros: "reliability, comfortable ride. very high miles."

Cons: "High initial cost"

"This 1997 Lexus ES with 284,000 miles has been fantastic. It is still going stung and I would keep it but my son needs a car. I wanted to drive it to at least 300,000 but will pass it on to him. The only thing other than regular maintenance and oil changes every 3 months or 3,000 miles has been some work on the air conditioning that cost $300 part of the muffler system. It has been serviced by a local mechanic after initial servicing by the Lexus dealer. I have always used Lexus parts. I am considering the new Lexus 200CT or a Prius for my next car."

love it!

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

"It lasts forever. Ive had this car for years, and I rarely have to fix anything on it. I love how smoothly it still drives. I want another lexus!"

Dependable and comfortable and gets good mileage

By on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable"

Cons: "less than 20 mpg in the city"

"This car has always been reliable and comfortable. It's a great highway cruiser and gets mid 20's on the highway."

Great, reliable car - never had an issue

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

Pros: "Great ride, reliable."

Cons: "not sure..."

"We bought this car as pre-owned with 42k miles on it and had it for the last ten years. It is an outstandingly reliable car which actually gets decent gas mileage (we are getting about 28mpg ). Anyway, we are moving toward a newer model, but with a heavy heart!"

Excellent car

By on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Bought my 98 Lexus in 2005 with 122,000 miles. Have put almost 200k on it myself. (318,000) We put very rough miles on a car and this vehicle takes every bit of it. We have put some money into it for repairs, but I think you will with any car. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, and have actually been looking for one. Great car!"

Nice Starter Luxury Car

By on Monday, July 26, 2010

"Love the climate control. Reliable going through the "grapevine" from southern California to Central California. Has never overheated and I run the AC-runs cold. Very reliable and sharp looking with tinted windows, which I have. Excellent sound system and amazing trunk space! Various power seat adjustments for driver and passnger; raised for shorter people & lowered for taller, forward and backward for leg length and of course the back of the seat forward and backward as well as the lumbar support. Little slow on the acceleration, especially going uphill if you don't have enough momentum going or are not at 3rpms. Also slows down quickly when you let off the gas so you can't conserve fuel by "coasting" at a speed for longer than a few seconds. Otherwise, I feel I got a great deal! Bought mine at 78k miles and have put 30k miles in almost 3 years. Mostly highway. Definitely going to buy a lexus when I let go of this, which will be hard to do."

LEXUS OWNER FOREVER!

By on Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"My dad gave me his 1998 ES300 a few years ago and I have not had a single problem since. It now has 290,500 miles and it runs like a brand new one. I put chrome 17s on it and tinted the windows and it looks awsome. I get many complements on it and when I tell them the year and miles they don't believe me. I love everything about it, great mpg, very comfortable, and good power. I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off and at the rate that its going it will probably be while. I will never buy anything but a Lexus for as long as I live!"

Saved my life

By on Thursday, November 19, 2009

"I have owned my Lexus for 8 years now, it has 178,000 miles on it. I was rear ended 4 years ago, I was at a complete stop and was hit by someone doing 50mph. My car rolled and I survived. I again was hit last week, I was at a stop light and was rear ended by someone driving 40mph. These cars have steel bumpers, the volvo wagon that hit me was totaled, and I just need to replace my bumper. Thank you Lexus!"

By on Sunday, June 21, 2009

"I have owned this vehicle for almost 10 yrs now. It has 240K miles on it and it has only had 1 tune up. I change oil every 6k miles and have only had to change an axle, my fault for ripping in the snow. This has been a great dependable vehicle. I'm sure I'll own it for another 3-5 yrs. I get 29 miles/gallon avg. so I drive it to work for my 55 mile commute. Lexus (toyota) quality at its finest."