1997 Lexus ES

9.4

Based on 298 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

lexus is tops

By on Tuesday, January 1, 2008

"I had the GS 300 for 14 years and enjoyed every minute of it. It was the most dependable and comfortable car I have had ever had. Don't know why anyone would want any other make of car. Over 240,000 miles and I only changed plugs twice and regular oil changes it ran as good as it did from day one."

A Classic Lexus Experience

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "ride, cabin, reliability, luxury"

Cons: "handling, city mpg, slow"

"This Lexus is highly practical but also rather luxurious. It has a very definitively smooth ride that can be compared to riding on a cloud or even ice skating. The same suspension that makes this car very comfortable also makes it dispirited and at times dull, for a young guy like me anyway. The chassis absorbs even the harshest bumps well and the speed of the vehicle has no reflection on the quietness of the cabin. Know that you will be hard pressed to find a smoother running sedan. The luxurious features of the this car are top of the line (for 2001) heated electric adjustable seats are extremely comfortable. I have owned this car from 60k-80k miles and reliability has been excellent absolutely no mechanical issues whatsoever. The electronic components match the superb quality of the engine and suspension. Everything is extremely well put together resulting in an extremely quiet ride. The only gripes I have with this car is its, engine which while being of an outstanding reliability (the mk2), manages to obtain poor city gas mileage but only demands regular fuel. Sort of a mixed bag really. The more up to date engines of today surpass the mk2 in every category except, again, unparalleled reliability. But the mk2 is not overly slow,being a 3.0 V6. It can give you a rush if you put your foot down, but don't expect to win any drag races. This would be an excellent car for a person who wants an extra smooth ride, reliability, and a luxurious experience at a cheap price.If your are above the age of 25 this car is heaven. But id like to feel the road and get the adrenaline pumping when i drive so this car isn't best suited for someone like me. For young enthusiastic drivers, please look elsewhere. An added bonus is the car is amazing on the snow (as long as you have decent all season tires), due to the design most of the weight falls on the front wheels. I live in Chicago so I know how it handles in bad weather. Other cars I have owned and would recommend: -Lexus LS 430 2001 -Toyota Sienna 1998 -Honda Civic EX 2006 -Acura TL 2004"

love love love this car! I will buy another!

By on Tuesday, November 1, 2011

"All cars need maintenance but repairs are almost never with this car!!! I did replace the engine and the tranny at 200,000 miles but it is well worth it! spend 3000 for another 70.000 or more miles, Never had to pay for anything else over $100.00! Super confertable and easy on the eyes! will be buying another one!!!!!"

Best car ever! Lowest maintenance - Unbelievable!

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Very reliable; only routine maintenance - no prob."

Cons: "back cup holders are week."

"I bought my '97 Lexus ES300 new. I have always provided regular maintenance on the car (oil changes, tire rotations, major "check ups" at recommended intervals i.e. 60k, 90k, etc) but otherwise this car has been the most trouble free car ever. At 180,000 miles, I just replaced the rear brake pads for the 2nd time (yes you read that correctly). The front brake pads were replaced at 90k and are still going strong! I recently had to have a new spark plug at 175k (the first and only one). Otherwise a few other items have had to be replaced in the past couple of years (items that for other cars would have gone much sooner - muffler/exhaust (due to rust), and I also put new shock absorbers on the car. Each of these items were required above 150k and really are just maintenance items that any other car would have needed much sooner. The car still drives as smooth and quiet as it did 15 years ago, in fact, I have to really pay attention too the speedometer because you can find yourself going too fast without realizing it b/c the engine doesn't rev even at high speeds despite its age and # of miles. I have always used premium gas and the car gets 26 MPG on avg. As you can tell, I love this car despite the fact that I also own a 2006 Lexus RX350, 2006 BMW 330 ci (hate BMW - not reliable and certainly not "ultimate driving machine" - but convertible is fun; and 2011 Infiniti G37x - also highly recommended."

very best of the best

By on Sunday, November 2, 2008

"It is the very best car out there, I mean there is nothing even close to this one. You cant go wrong with it very reliable. Fun to drive on long trips, I avg 200 plus miles everyday, no issues with this car at all, gets great gas mileage for a car this size I avg 31.25 mpg, with a full size car that rides like a car twice its wieght, very quick to pass just push the gas and, your moving 85-90 in no time flat. I will own nothing else but a lexus from here on out. Nice solid cars clean lines timeless great cars."