2008 Land Rover Range Rover

7.4

Based on 213 Ratings for the 2003 - 2012 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10

Once is Enough for me

By on Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"Love the car but it will probably be my last one. I bought a 2004 CPO with 33K on it and have driven it less that 20K miles in the past 2 two years. I was prepared for the fact that it wasn't a Honda Passport and would require greater than average maintenance but what I have gone through is pretty ridiculous. Niggling problems is one thing but issues that leave you on the side of the road are another. Since I have had the truck the following has been replaced: Both catalytic converters, cooling system, front air suspension, and both the front and rear differentials and shafts. The newest on the list is the transmission. in the 19 months that I have owned the truck it has been in the shop for a total of 3 of them. That's 15% of my ownership time! That's 3 car payments for shop time. I will admit that I love driving it and the looks are great but this is a little crazy. Any time that a modern vehicle has more problems per mile as my 1967 Alfa Duetto something is wrong."

If you can't afford it, DONT buy it.

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pros: "Beautiful, great ride, quiet"

Cons: "low gas milege, maintence cost"

"I must say I have fallen in love with Range Rovers. I am currently on my second and I can't think of any other car I would want. It does it all; it looks great and drives like a dream. I can pick up the kids, valet at a steak house, or take the boat out to the lake. That being said, I would NOT recommend this car if you cant afford at least 1000$ a year in service costs. It's just an expensive car to own. It costs about 100$ every time you pull up at the pump too. My first Range Rover (2006 HSE) was a bit of a nightmare, but it was my first luxury SUV so I dealt with it. The main problem was the computer glitch in the suspension and I had to have it flat-bedded to the dealer twice. BUT, my 2011 has been a real trooper! I have not has a single service light come on and I've had it for a little under a year now. (that's gotta be some sort of record for a land rover!) Beautiful inside and out! Love my Range Rover."

Good looking but Poor quality

By on Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pros: "Looks Good Impressive, fun to drive"

Cons: "Never ending expensive maintenance"

"This is a great looking truck. that will spend more time in the shop than on the road. Air suspension failures are common and expensive, this model is not even recommended for off road use. BMW engine and components are over designed and prone to failure . Though this is a beautiful truck and fun to drive and be seen in; this particular model rates as one of the very worst and most expensive to maintain vehicles I have ever owned"

Do not buy

By on Friday, January 22, 2010

"This car is the best looking on the road but I do not recommend it. It always has electrical issues, not to mention other issues. If you buy from a private party make sure that you purchase a warranty. I have had it for two years and have had bills of almost $5K to fix it. I am insured so I didn't pay for it but just buyer beware."

Save your money and your sanity

By on Thursday, October 25, 2012

"I purchased this suv and in 2 weeks period decided to sell it. It was my second one( thought ill give them one more chance). You will be spending a lot more time at the mechanic than on the road and most likely a lot more money on repairing than what you paid for it. The specialist range rover himself advised me to never buy another. The water pump started leaking the next day, air shocks go bad whether you let the car sit or move much, the head gasket is known to go bad on them. I bought it, same day was at the mechanic, spent another week there, then drove it for 2 more days, was back at the mechanic again for another 3 days, then drove it for 2 more days when I decided I had enough and took a big loss and sold it. The only way to get one is brand new, from the dealer, drive it for 2 years( no more) and then return it!, then run lol. Land rover should give me a new one for the headache I went through in that 2 week period."

My Lemon Rover-Buy a Toyota Landcruiser instead

By on Friday, September 25, 2009

"I own both a Toyota Landcruiser (2000) as well as a 2006 Rage Rover. The Landcruiser has 220,000 miles on it with no significant repairs to date (just normal maintenance) Unbeatable in bad weather, a true Land Crusher. I would take this vehicle anywhere on the globe and feel safe. My Rover has an electrical problem that mysteriously powers off the vehicle completely (Randomly has happened twice since I owned it) Then the dealer can not fix or explain. On top of this........THE ENGINE BLEW UP at 72k miles with no warning light indications!!!!!!! a $10,000 repair!!!!!!! I am afraid to take this vehicle more than 15 miles from my house for fear of the next time I am stranded on the side of the road for 3 hours late at night with Tractor Trailers zooming by at 75 miles per hour. If you have money and time to burn ( Every repair or visit is ridiculously expensive- wipers are $300.00) This is your vehicle. I do not like to complain normally, but I wish more people would have spoken up when I was looking. Once I had one, I would hear the same from strangers in parking lots all over the place that wanted to share their pain. Too bad, it is a striking looking SUV, but it needs to be able to run."

DO NOT BUY ONE!

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "Handing, comfort, and design."

Cons: "Peeling door handles and interior trim, mechanical and electrical problems."

"Within the last 1400 miles we had to put a new transmission in it and a new steering column. The transmission was $7,000.00 and the column was almost $3,000.00. I am very disappointed with this vehicle! We have owned several BMW's in the past and never had issues like this. Other past issues: peeling interior panels (around the window and mirror controls), and exterior door handles. Air bag light. Oil leaks. Coolent leaks. Window and lock issues. Rear view exterior mirrors dis-coloring. The dash lights are also starting to fade where the mileage shows up. From what I understand this is a common issue but shouldnt be. The only 2 good things I can say: Love the way it drives and handles! The stereo also sounds great!"

2004 Range Rover HSE

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "Awesome vehicle to 4WD"

Cons: "Doesnt have auto head lights, thats the only thing"

"I have owned this vehicle for 3 years now. I have preformed the required maintenance. changing the oil a 5000 miles. I will not wait 15000 for any car. I have used the AWD many times out in the desert and have never been let down. This is the most comfortable SUV i have ever owned and will not sell this vehicle ever. I will buy a newer model and keep this. I have owner over 35 cars in my life time and this by far is one of the best."

BEST SUV PERIOD!

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "Looks, Off Road Capability, Features, Comfort"

Cons: "GAS!, Stupid Cup Holder, Dated Navigation"

"I have had my 2006 Range Rover for about a year now and I love it. I have not had any major problems with mine and it has 80,000 miles. Unlike most owners I have actually taken mine off road. A lot. And not just dirt trails but I have taken her through some real precarious situations. I would be perfectly comfortable going up against a Rubicon any day. As far as value goes you can not find a more beautiful SUV for such a good price when looking used. I think it is important to make sure you get yours checked out before you buy a used one. I was fortunate enough to have my mechanic tell me that it was the cleanest Rover he had seen in a long time. After everything I have read i have found that reliability is hit or miss. After 80,000 miles the only thing I can complain about is the drivers seat not heating up. Other than that it is the most incredible car I have owned and for someone who buys 2 new cars a year that is saying quite a lot!"

Why Me?

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"Be prepared for the RR to be in the shop. If its not under warranty, be prepared to get "worked" by the dealership. Good looking car, but a lot of issues."

Costly Service

By on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pros: "Most comfortable and solid car I've ever owned."

Cons: "Service costs are through the roof."

"The best car I've ever driven. The upkeep is killing me. $1300 for a tune up, $1000 new tires, $1000 brakes and on and on.... Plus, at $100 for a fill up it's getting a little tedious."

Better than expected

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Pros: "Just drive one"

Cons: "Mileage / service or repairs can be expensive"

"Heard so many horror stories about the RR, but we purchased a 2004 with the BMW engine and to this day it has performed flawlessly. Smooth ride, and goes through the snow like no other vehicle. My recommendation is to keep it serviced by a RR dealership, eventhough it can be expensive at times. Not too impressed with the new style 2013 model....I will be looking for a used 2010-2011 model. We like the heavier weight of the current style. If keeping a RR for longer period, I would recommend getting the extended warranty prior to the standard one runs out...it has saved us money and paid for itself already."

Great Vehicle / Service cost out of this world

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Pros: "great car to drive"

Cons: "service cost on older models"

"I luv the vehicle, great ride, long distance no problem, Impressive vehicle in and out But when dealing with an older model out of warranty beware, service cost could lead you to the poor house, I have yet to walk out of the dealership with a Bill under 1K and some as high as 3K easily Even if you can find an independent repair guy, all he /she can do is save you on the labor; parts still come from land rover at full price at least in the USA"

Stay away , unless you are rich rich rich

By on Friday, October 14, 2011

Pros: "looks"

Cons: "repairs repairs repairs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"looks and feels great , but underneath , I have shank well over 7k in repairs in the last 18 months >> if you got that type of money " go for it ""

Quiet Comfortable Highway Cruiser

By on Friday, August 19, 2011

Pros: "Power, comfort, quiet, features, versatility on and off road"

Cons: "not as much cargo room as you would think, gas mileage"

"I have had several SUV's but bought this in 2009 because I do a lot of highway miles and wanted a truck with some power. Jackpot! It cruises comfortably and quietly at 70 MPH and is capable of much more. On the twisties, the "SPORT" mode on the excellent transmission transforms the car to a competent touring machine - at the price of some economy. Not many drivers know that the "SPORT" mode also adjusts the suspension, not just the shift points. I had very few issues, but a shock did fail at around 15K miles fixed in warranty. No gremlins other than that. Yes, it is expensive to service and satisfy its thirst. In exchange you get an unbeatable combination of highway cruiser, winter wonderland explorer and power - lots of power. I sometimes think of a change, but can't think of a single vehicle on the market that can match it, let alone beat it in the race for my wallet. If they came out with a diesel I would buy it for the economy."

Love my Range Rover

By on Monday, November 09, 2009

"I needed to replace my Lexus GX470--a terrific vehicle--and I wanted something more upscale. I test drove the MB GL and the new LX, and neither could compare with the look and feel of the RR. The GL had neither leather seating nor Bluetooth standard, for nearly 70K !!! The interior of the RR is one of the best I've seen, and the Harman Kardon stereo is phenomenal (710 Watts). The LX is a great ride, but it lacked the RR's feeling of substance, classiness and craftsmanship, IMHO. As far as reliability, I've had my RR for a little over a year and I've not had a single problem -- I hope this continues. The RR has a feeling of safety and solidity, and I wouldn't have my family in anything else. I joked with my salesperson, saying that, "it should be illegal to sell these things because once you've owned one, you'll never be happy with anything else"."

Quality, stylish vehicle

By on Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pros: "Fit, finish, comfort, performance"

Cons: "Dealer maintenance costs"

"My 2007 with 49 K miles has held its value better than other luxury cars I've owned. The fit and finish of the interior is un-matched in a vehicle of its class. Dealer maintenance is expensive but that's to be expected for a Range Rover. The only thing that went when it was out of warranty, was a $ 3,200 A/C compressor/condenser and that went two months after I'd purchased a 3 year extended warranty (which of course, paid for itself right there). I'll buy another in a few years - meanwhile there's still many more miles to be had from this vehicle."

Dig a hole dump your money

By on Sunday, January 17, 2010

"I have a preowned 2004 HSE loved it when I brought it home then a month later I take it for the point inspection the belts were 500 to replace another 500 to add the towing lights two month later 1200 new tires, three months after that 2000 on breaks and not to mention that the radiator blew due to the temp control, the battery died and it's 200 for that to top all that off the suspention went out three times with no explanation and now today it is back at the dealorship since it is miss firing and the oil is leeking into the engine. Buying an extended warrenty is a good idea but it doesn't cover brakes 2K, tires 2K ect. Also they dont come with locking lug nuts so look out those are 240 if you happen to get one without the navigation CD oops outta luck again be ready to fork over 200 bucks for those. I am fixing it and dumping it. It cost more than my house payments."

Costly Repairs, not very reliable

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"First three years the vehicle was great! Afterwards, problem after problem! Don't know if it's the service performed on the vehicle or the actual car. Repair costs are outragous! The car is beautiful but prepare to spend if you plan to keep. It's also difficult to schedule appointments to take the car in for service, the wait time for appts. is ridiculous. And don't expect to get you car back soon when it's in for service. A minor replacement part can take over one week for installation. Wouldn't have bought the car if I had known."

Big Disappointment!

By on Wednesday, November 18, 2009

"Looks good and expensive-but garbage! Almost everyone who owns this vehicle for over 1yr seems to have serious problem with it. Their stories are very similar, except for those who are still in the gaga stage of 6months of use. Get ready to empty your pockets and have your blood pressure raised to the roof. How can you purchase a brand new vehicle for over $85K and worth $27K(suggested retail value in excellent condition) after 4yrs of use. That makes no sense! We need to put this nonsense on 20/20 or the morning news. You'll see how quick they'll shape up."

Nothing Better - and - Nothing Worse

By on Thursday, April 09, 2015

Pros: "Unparallelled luxury, commanding road presence"

Cons: "Expensive to run and maintain as a B2 Bomber"

"Have had vehicle for 18 months and about 24,000 miles. It is without a doubt one of the most enjoyable vehicles to drive. 6,000+ pounds of Britain's finest provides a level of comfort and extravagance fit for the Queen. The Supercharged engine is responsive and delightful in all modes. The interior is extremely well appointed and provides a sense of luxury and sophisticated ambience. I truly enjoy this vehicle. All that being said - I am pretty handy with my cars and this has come in handy since I have had to replace the following this year - suspension compressor, steering rack, coolant overflow reservoir, coils on 2 cylinders, hatch lift hydraulics, cupholder, and an air conditioning vent. In a nutshell - she is a gorgeous lady who requires a lot of care and feeding! In the end would I buy another - absolutely!"

Can't wait to get rid of it!!!

By on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Pros: "Beautiful car"

Cons: "Not good on gas"

"I purchased range river 18 months ago. I have been in the shop twice for broken suspension, twice for leaks in coolant and now starter. I have had enough. I don't recommend this car if it's your primary car. great for ootball players with 10 cars. Repairs are costly. The car is only good for life of the warranty."

Awesome driving SUV and great looking!

By on Monday, March 02, 2015

Pros: "Exciting to drive, great ride, been very reliable"

Cons: "Premium gas only"

"I have enjoyed the power, ride and handling! Low maintance and has been very reliable! Would buy another and recommend to a friend!!"

Beautiful Lemon

By on Thursday, February 17, 2011

"I've had my 2003 RR for going on 4 years and it has been 4 years of headache. It was all downhill after I had to get a new transmission at 50k. The air suspension is a nightmare when it goes. The heavy weight makes it go through brakes like water, I could go on and on but I'll sum it by saying while the truck is beautiful, it is definitely a huge headache. Unless you're ready to spend about 3-5k at least a year in maintenance don't do it!!!!"

My dream car/my worst nitemare

By on Sunday, August 12, 2007

"We've had this car for 9 mo. and $15k out pocket in parts & labor work. First the Front Axel gave out within a month of owning it, two month later the Alternator gave out while on Christmas vacation to the snow my family and I were stranded for 6 days because of the long weekend no one in that small town could fix it. Four months later while driving on the HWY with my whole family the Front differential broke. In the last 3 months we've hand problems with the Transmission, water pump and Transfer Case. My dream car has a been nothing but a nightmare, not including car payment, car insurance. We bought this car used, under 100k miles no company would sell us a warranty for this car. I would not recommend this car to no one. Is beautiful, comfortable but not worth it."